News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifle Maintenance

Started by jmdavis, August 12, 2013, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

If your philosophy of rifle maintenance is the you shoot an AK and they are "rock solid reliable," you may want to reexamine your philosophy. This is old news, but still news to many people.

http://firearmusernetwork.com/2010/12/01/ar15-vs-ak47-reliability-under-harsh-conditions/

Common knowledge isn't always right.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

PHenry

the only people who think any rifle made requires no maintenance are on the internet more than the trigger

Kalashnikov and Stoner are both geniuses.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

floydf

The rifles which belong to people who spend all their time on the Internet don't need maintenance, because they never leave the box/safe.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

douglas34474

Ask the Israelis about this subject. After their war with Syria they sought a firearm that was as dependable as the AK under desert combat conditions. Their experience with the AR was less than stellar. They tested all the firearms they could get their hands on. Bottom line, there is no other combat rifle as dependable as the AK. Result, they ripped off the design of the AK and came up with the Gailil.

jmdavis

Gentlemen over the course of more than 50 Appleseed's, KD's and RBC's I have never failed to find at least one shooter per event who thought that he didn't need to clean his rifle. They weren't all AK's by any stretch there were a fair number of bolts, 10/22s, lever guns, ARs, M1's, SKSs, and M14s in there too.

The modern AR is a far cry from the A1s and originals we left in SE Asia and sent to Israel. If you care for your tools, they will not let you down.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner