News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

chillicothe, IL 3-day eight-oh-eight!

Started by Old Glory!, September 01, 2008, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

Good news at Chillicothe.  Report to follow
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Garand69

Chlli 3-Day AS Rocks!!!! Breaks Previous Illinois 3-Day Rifleman record with 9 Rifleman!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Wisconsin (colycat), Kentucky (DonD), and Iowa(Alex) for loaning us some IIT's and Instructors. and of course Illinois' very own TheGuy, Pappy, and Sheepdog!

Thank you Cliff Wilcox and the Chillicothe Sportsman's Club for a great facility, and some great members (a few of which are now Rifleman!)

I'll have more to add later including pics, I'm just too pooped to pop right now and I need to be brite eyed and bushy tailed and in my cement truck at 5:45am tommorow. If I only had the massive quanity of sugar coursing through my veins caused by one of S'moreChik's most excellent campfire s'more's, I could carry on. (TheGuy can fill you in on the s'mores  ;D )

Thank You Everyone!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Old Glory!

More good news! 
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

M.E.

The Stites crew are all tickled pink to see "Old Glory" holding that Rifleman patch (I had no doubt and was just waiting to see!  ;D) and Hannah and I  were tickled to see so many girls pictured!  Rock on Ladies!!  Ok Rock on fella's too but gotta support the gals!   ;) Can't wait to see a pic of the whole group.  Such great news!  I'm sure you all had a great time and can't wait to read all about it soon.  Sorry we missed out on all the fun several from our crew are going to try for next weekend in Ottawa if theres still room.  Maybe we'll see some of you there!

We've been spreading the News! Met a gal at the Wingshoot yesterday that's attending a KY AS with her hubby in October.  We warned her to be prepared for a great time!

M.E.

Old Glory!

It was an honor to spend the weekend with ya'll.  Thank you EVERYONE.

SavageShootr

Hey OG...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had faith in you. See you in Winona.  ;D

Congratulations to all the others who made the Rifleman score too. You have a lot to be proud of.

Thanks so much for sharing the pics.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

The Guy

Why is S'moreChick in a pic without a sling on with an M-14.....?  Y'all making me look bad here!  LOL!

Had a blast, lik always.  Kayce (sorry girl, did I spell that right?) made RM with both righty and lefty hands.  Eye dominance issues, so she switched and took that silly tape off her glasses and did it lefty after hitting 211 righty.

Glad to see so many make it on Mon.  Gotta love these three day events.

Would like to thank Dond and Sara for coming up from Tennessee so I could spend monday with my brand new (still has that new car smell!) granddaughter (so cute!) Stella Rae.

Coly did a great job running things,and has  a good feel for every bit of Appleseed.  Should have earned that Red Hat by now.  Running a event with Guy over your shoulder and keeping your cool?  Worthy of a Red Hat by its self.

Would like to thanks Cliff for the use of the range, and the overcoming of some resitance from some Democrat (read, bleeding heart "liberals") gun owners (Eh? really? Wuz dat?) zat the club to get us there.

Thanks again to SheepDog, Pappy, Golf 6-9, and Azel (Did you proud Mark!)

See many of you in Ottowa next weekend!

Guy

ps, I never knew you weren't supposed to actually catch the marshmellows on fire.  Thnaks to the newly named S'moreChick, I now know how to make good ones.  Cooks can learn to become Riflemen, why can't a Rifleman learn how to cook?  LOL

deolexrex

Do my eyes deceive me or is that an actual picture of The Guy shooting?

;D ;D ;D
DeoLexRex

The history of Christianity is a series of victories, described and disguised as disasters. Beginning with the cross... -- Herb Titus

Iron at 500 - AQT Targets

The Guy

Yup.

Got some trigger time after you left and a bit more on Sunday.

Had an issue with the backer though.  Somehow, Dond and I were the only ones to shoot our backers off the posts...LOL

Either we are doing something right, or wrong...?

Good to see you and the kids again.  Catch you at another Appleseed soon I hope.

deolexrex

We'll get to another one for sure... there's a couple of us that would really like to get one of those patches!
DeoLexRex

The history of Christianity is a series of victories, described and disguised as disasters. Beginning with the cross... -- Herb Titus

Old Glory!

Quote from: The Guy on September 02, 2008, 10:47:24 AM
Why is S'moreChick in a pic without a sling on with an M-14.....?  Y'all making me look bad here!  LOL!

Geez.....The beatings will continue until the instructors improve.  ;)  Modified the picture to reflect more appropriate use of a sling.   Still S'morechick, better use of a sling.......hey where'd the M-14 go?

Congratulations!!!  GRANDPA!!!???   Now you really are a dangerous OLD man.   

OhhhGeeez

Old Glory!

Quote from: deolexrex on September 02, 2008, 02:55:04 PM
Do my eyes deceive me or is that an actual picture of The Guy shooting?

;D ;D ;D

Should have had my camera on video to capture the way position transitions SHOULD be done.  OOOHHH, THAAAT'S how your supposed to do it! :o   All smooth and quick.  I think there were some spins and karate kicks in there too, but it all happened so fast and blurry-like.  It's a beautiful thing to see. 

OG

Pappy

Hello Group; I think that you meet some of the best people at an Appleseed. The three day shoots look like they could become a trend. Well done to all the new Riflemen & women, Staff and friends. Hope to see you in Ottawa this weekend. Thanks to the Chili sportsmens club for the hospitality, your a great host.  :) J. Papineau
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

2thdoc

Thanks guys and guy for a great shoot  :D ;D :-*
Pat

deolexrex

My friends left their lawn chairs at the range on Saturday. Did anyone happen to pick them up?
DeoLexRex

Old Glory!

Quote from: deolexrex on September 03, 2008, 07:04:53 AM
My friends left their lawn chairs at the range on Saturday. Did anyone happen to pick them up?
Deolexrex,
Rather than leaving them at Chilli, we put them in the back of G-69'rs truck, and they will be at Ottawa this weekend.  Hopefully that is close enough for someone to pick them up?

The Guy

Hey Doc, Good to have you.

See you at a Guns Save Life meeting soon I hope.

Second Tuesday of the month at the Park Inn.

Old Glory!

Trying to put the greatness of an AS weekend into words is rather difficult.  What is the attraction, allure, fascination, charm, glamour and excitement that makes it so difficult to get AS OUT of one's mind after the weekend?!?  Is it the people, the cause, the challenge, the sweat, the history, the personal sacrifices made in 1775, the hope, the discipline?  Something bigger than the physical aches and pains remains in the heart and mind after an AS weekend.

A few words about the Instructors:
The instruction this weekend was incredible!  Dond, Guy, Colycat, you brought the history TO LIFE, telling of the personal sacrifices made by real people with courage.  
Guy, you use every moment to reinforce all the steps, all the safety rules, and brought us the heart of the cause with a believable conviction that cannot be ignored.  
Dond, I remember lying prone and hearing a kind, firm, angelic voice (with an east-Kentucky accent ;D) from above telling me how to correct that draggin' wood problem.  
Azel, your instant, loud-and-clear echo of the line commands kept me focused, and with your tutoring, inches/minutes/clicks started to become more clear.  
Colycat, your personal, step-by-step instruction of The Lighthouse Restaurant owner (sorry, I do not remember your real name) who came over on Monday speaks for itself when he accepted his rifleman patch and said he could not have done it without your help.  (btw, if you are EVER near Chilli, Illi, don't miss a meal on the deck overlooking the lake at the Lighthouse Restaurant, but that's another topic....)
Sheepdog, When the wolves are ready to attack, you are there!  You ARE the sheepdog!  And, as you said a few times this weekend, "BE the bullet".  
Garand, Your personal dedication will remove ucks from Illinois(ucks), and your constant whippings might correct my number 6 followthrough faults.
JP, thanks for helping me fly the American Flag.  SALUTE!  You did a great job explaining and demonstrating the positions on Monday.  Always reinforcing the positives and clearly explaining it to the newbees.

Now about all the rest of the good folks on the firing line; all of you who got up off the deck chairs and started bailing the USS America by attending an AS.   For me, you are the other factor that I just cannot seem to get out of my mind.  Fathers and mothers bring their daughters and sons, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives, fiances, nieces, and friends.  AS is not simply a group of men, or women, but it is more like a family.  Even though my own kids were not at the AS (soon to be corrected, I HOPE!), your kids were there, and I got to talk with them, and learn with them.  Without sounding too hokey, some of the charm of participating in AS is because it is like a family.  Nobody is segregated into age groups, or gender groups.  AS is bigger than that.  For me, that is a big part of the attraction.  

Thank you all!

The Guy

Spoken like a True Believer.

Amazing what an Appleseed or two will do for someone's perspective.  Not to mention the skills.

See y'all soon at an Appleseed near(ish) you!

dond

An angelic voice? I've been accused of many things, but not that. Wait until I tell my wife!
It's always a pleasure and a thrill to be with Appleseed people and to try to help with history and marksmanship. Thanks Old Glory.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

deolexrex

DeoLexRex

rlkillion

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to drop a line and give everyone a big thanks.  Between the instructors we managed to find and correct numerous bad habits I had picked up over the years.  I know my scores will go up as the new methods become habit.  I am particulary happy to have ideintifed the reasons why I tend to drift left!  More importantly my daughter Charissa who had no bad habits to break steadily improved all weekend and got rifle(wo)man with a 236. ;D  She was so excited... we will be going out to get her FOID and she wants her own rifle now.  Now I just need to get my son and wife out and after making the methods habit get rifleman myself.  I can't wait to apply them at the next mauser match at the club.  I was glad to meet all of you and was amazed at how quickly it seemed we had known each other for a lot longer than the time we had.  Hope to see all of you at another AS
Bob Killion

colycat

rikikken,

Welcome.

Rissa was a model student.  Her form was perfect, but her shooting was not always.  In looking at her targets at one point, I said"  you are doing everything right that I can see,  fire the  six steps, think about 4a and 4b.  She shot rifleman on her next try.  Wow, this stuff works!!!!

Thanks for coming and for joining the RWVA.

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

rlkillion

She actually told me that she got it right after you talked to her.  She has been a natural shooting pellet guns at German Fest so I was not shocked to see her do so well with the most excellant instruction we received.  I am glad she was able to learn the right way before she developed my bad habits.  I now know what I need to do but I still have to think about it to make sure I do it all.  It will take some practice...but hey practice is fun!

Bob

The Guy

Goodness yes, give me new shooters and I will give you Riflemen.  So little to unlearn, so much potential.

Good to have you there, hope to see you soon at another one.

Keep on practicing.

Guy

Garand69

Family, Family, Family!!!!

When you look at the 9 Rilfeman that were forged on the Chilli AS Anvil, you see family!

Look at the range of age and experience, from young girls to "Dangerous Old Men" (and I mean that in a good way!), from novices to regular competitors, there was daughters, fathers, fiancee's, wives, grand fathers, ALL THE BASES WERE COVERED!!!

Looking down that firing line on Saturday I saw several families with ages running from 5 or 6 all the way up. This is what makes Appleseed what it is folks, no other marksmanship program offers it's attendees the ability to shoot next to their grand-daughter, wife, son, etc etc, while learning what made this country what it is.

Folks, the September Challenge is on! 4 new Rifleman on Monday, 9-1-08, how many this weekend at Ottawa???
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Garand69

Well I just got around to cleaning out the cab of my pick up.

11 QD-AQT's =           440rnds
11 Class.-AQT's =       220rnds
5 Redcoats-hit's count= 91rnds (two were double shoots)
For a total of =           751rnds

THIS DOES NOT COUNT..........

Sighters, Star Targets, or targets lost to wind or thrown out due to lackluster performance!
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

BOOMER_EOD

hey everyone

sounds like things went well in chillicothe. 9 rifleman wow things really are growing. just sit'n down here in alabama training for Uncle Sam and wishing that i could go to an appleseed. 
i'll be looking forward to hearing about ottawa. HOOAH

The Guy

Funny, we are talking to you right now on the phone....

Enjoy 'bama, and DON'T TELL THE SRGT'S HOW EASILY YOU CAN OUT SHOOT THEM.

LOL!

See about getting one down there, clear a line with some of that demo you've been training with.

Keep low and watch the six.

Guy

survivaldoc

Sorry to get back so late, but I have been shut out of posting by some automatic server (I just got my re-activation today) :)
Cannot say enough how much this old salt learned and re-learned at the Chillicothe. I especially thank Sheepdog for his impro in making me a decent sling. My Remington semi-auto had jammed up that week, and I brought a brand new Savage bolt action so my re-learning curve was steep. So much could be said about that weekend, by way of inspiration and perspiration.  the level of instruction is incredible, and I can't wait to get another weekend off to make another AS in the midwest somewhere.  BTW, does any one know if there is a Nebraska AS contact, and any events cookin' there?

survivaldoc
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams, Father of the American Revolution