News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Palm Bay FL Aug 3/4 2013

Started by bill o rites, August 07, 2013, 09:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill o rites

What a great day for liberty! 15 Patriots braved the heat and torrential downpour to drink from firehose of Appleseed instruction.No summer soldiers or sunshine Patriots here. I want to thank everyone for bringing a teachable attitude,HUZZAH! An Appleseed event in Florida in August is always a challenge, but our Patriots much like their ancestors rose to the occasion.While no Riflemen were revealed, marksmanship improved greatly, and all were introduced to our true history and heritage ,you know the one they don't teach anymore.
Also you may not have noticed it ,but we had a real live war hero on the line Saturday, it's not your fault for not noticing it, because war heroes don't go around telling everyone about it and thank God for them.
      That's all for now, just wanted to get the ball rolling ,please feel free to jump on in   Bill O Rites
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor and Success of this army depend. Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men-1776

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government,our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin." Samuel Adams,1780

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Guntuckian

:pics:

Here are the links to the M1 Garand  training films that I mentioned during the KD lecture on Sunday, including the formula for estimating Windage corrections quickly in your head! 

It's hundreds of yards times wind in mph, divided by 10, for full value winds. Winds from the right, from 2-4 on the clock dial, and from 8-10, on the left, are full value winds.  From 1-2, 4-5, 7-8, and 10 -11, they're half value, meaning you halve the Windage correction.  Within 1 hour +/- of straight at you at 12 o'clock, or behind you at 6 o'clock, they are zero values.  For example, for a target at 500 yards, with a wind coming from your right at 3o'clock, at 20 mph, the Windage correction would be 5 x 20 = 100, divided by 10, or 10 MOA right Windage.  Strelok, a free smartphone app, calculates a Windage of + 8.64 MOA, vs. 10.0 MOA, assuming a ballistic coefficient of 0.405, for M2 ball .30-06, or an error of only 1.36 MOA, or an error of only 6.8 inches.   Remember, 10 MOA is an offset of 50 inches for predicted wind effects, so getting within 6.8 inches in your head is pretty good!   Close enough for a Rifleman hit!   ^:)^

Have an M1 Garand and want to learn how to uses the various sighting tools on  the rifle?  Then go back in time and watch this WW II Training Movie. (Note  there is part 2 on the same page;  part 2 covers "elevation and windage", including the Windage formula discussed above!  2 hours of excellent training, including on sling usages!)

There are also tricks for estimating wind speed in mph if you see a flag, or drop a piece of paper, then estimate the angle, and divide by 4.  For example, if you drop a piece of cloth or paper, and when it lands you are pointing at the dropped cloth or paper an angle of 40 degrees out from straight down you can estimate the wind speed as 40  divided by 4, or 10 mph .  It works the same way for the angle of flags to the flagpole, too.

WW2 Training Film:
http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

Also check out the WW2 Training Manual (1943):
http://www.archive.org/details/How_to_Shoot_the_US_Army_Rifle

-- gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

draken

Malabar and the 3rd Strike during Saturday's downpour!

Ball and dummy!

Safeties On! Stand! AQTs on Sunday

"Those things which are precious are saved only by sacrifice."
~David K. Webster~

IamCaleb

Awesome! I'll be there in December, can't wait.