News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Newspaper Article in The Journal (Johnson Co. Indiana)

Started by indyjoe, August 28, 2008, 03:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indyjoe

Learning marksmanship a blast at Appleseed event

By BRANDON BUTLER

Aug. 27, 2008

On April 19, 1775, a group of British soldiers, intoxicated by power, casually calculated it was once again time to loot and pillage the helpless colonists.

As they had time and time before, the British regulars figured they could swoop into Concord and take what they wanted from the underprotected colonial stores of military supplies and, for that matter, whatever else the foreign troops fancied. The colonists, however, had another idea.

Militia Captain John Parker is famous for proclaiming, "Stand your ground. Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

And so it did. On that fateful night, a revolution was born. The British rolled past Parker and his men on the village green in Lexington, but upon their arrival in Concord, the British would suffer their first lesson of American marksmanship.

At the time of the American Revolution, the term "aim" was not included in the British manual of arms. They instead emphasized the bayonet.

England had been fighting wars with hand-to-hand combat for many centuries, so it is plain to see their slow adaptation to distance warfare.

The colonists, on the other hand, had learned to depend on marksmanship in hunting to provide food for their families. A couple of months into a long winter, a hunter surely wanted to make an accurate shot on a week's worth of groceries.

So, once fighting erupted in Concord, the colonists picked the British apart by firing from behind trees, around corners, under wagons, wherever they could shoot, drop out of sight, reload and once again shoot a well-aimed shot.

On April 19, 1775, the colonists were outnumbered four to one but sustained only 93 casualties to England's 273.

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association is dedicated to preserving the skills of marksmanship that played such an integral role in securing the birth of our nation. Through their Appleseed Project, the association promotes the skill of becoming a rifleman. To be considered a rifleman, one must be able to effectively and regularly hit a man-sized target at 500 yards.

The Appleseed Project has ignited across the country. Shooting and marksmanship remain highly popular.

And when combining these skills with a history lesson regarding the founding of the United States, it is easy to understand the passion many feel for this organization.

Ed Yeager is the Indiana coordinator for the Appleseed Project.

"Marksmanship is what we teach at an Appleseed," he said. "An appreciation of our common heritage that was forged on April 19, 1775, is the why of what we teach.

"Everyone learns something at Appleseed shoot. Some folks learn a great deal, some add maybe 10 percent to an already deep understanding."

There are two remaining shoots (in Wabash and Evansville) this year in Indiana. The 2009 schedule is filling up fast.

Josh Streiff of Bloomington said the event featured "traditional marksmanship, sling use, breathing and body control, history, camaraderie and tons of gun owners hanging out. It is a blast."

If this sounds like a blast to you, visit to learn how you can participate in the Appleseed Project.
"It dosen't require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires to people's minds."  Samuel Adams

B9

Great write up! Maybe post this in the general section for guests to view also.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Nickle

Good one. Just one flaw that I saw.

The Redcoats weren't foreign, they were the King's Army, and at the time, the colonies, including Massachussetts, were part of Great Britain.

I know, even scarier.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Scout

Is this an add that already ran, or is coming up? If it ran you let us know and get a copy to myself or nickle for posting in the Appleseed scrapbook? Thanks IndyJoe. Is that Indianapolis Joseph? or Indian Joe from Tom, Becky and Huck? ;) :D ;D  ;D

Regardless, Thanks Joe and welcome aboard. You are making a good start by getting an article in a paper before your fourth post here. Keep up the hard work! :D ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

hawkhavn

IndyJoe,

Thanks for the heads up I was looking for it in the Bloomington papaer today, I'll go back and check yesterday's.  That's Techres and myself they quoted in the paper.

Indyjoe, coming out to Riley this weekend?
Last question, you're active on INGO right?

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

funfaler

It is your Appleseed Project and you are making good use of it! 

Keep up the good work, help your fellow Appleseeders by posting in general section and offering to help them. 

Good work!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

indyjoe

Quote from: Scout on August 28, 2008, 05:46:29 PM
Is this an add that already ran, or is coming up? If it ran you let us know and get a copy to myself or nickle for posting in the Appleseed scrapbook? Thanks IndyJoe. Is that Indianapolis Joseph? or Indian Joe from Tom, Becky and Huck? ;) :D ;D  ;D

I can't take credit for the article, just posting it here.  It was posted on Ingunowners.com and thought it would be appreciated here.  I looked for a day old paper today, when I was at the store, but no luck.  The story ran yesterday.  And I'm a Joe from Indianapolis (although I just moved down to Greenwood now.)  Otherwise, I'd be Injun Joe not Indian Joe.  ;)

I am heading out to Riley for Saturday only, for my first Appleseed.  We have been moving and I've been swamped for two months.  This will be a great day of "not working", even though I imagine it will be plenty of work.  I am hoping to bring my fiancee, but she is under the weather tonight and doesn't know if she will be up to it.  I'm heading to Atterbury immediately after work tomorrow to get my two 10/22 LTRs sighted in at 25 meters.  I tried that earlier in the week, but I had forgotten to Locktite the front sights, which fell off.  (And of course I forgot the hex key for them at home, 30 minutes away.) :o
"It dosen't require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires to people's minds."  Samuel Adams

hawkhavn

Indyjoe,

Thanks for stepping up and we'll see you on Saturday then.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Cal 7.62

I searched for The Journal's website (found it), then searched for the article by typing in "learning marksmanship". I got the "Learning Marksmanship" story link (?) but couldn't go to it because i'm not a subscriber. If you want to try here's "The Journal" 's search page.
http://dailyjournal.net/Search.asp
for the search from date go back to 8/26/08
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

indyjoe

Yes, we had to get a subscriber to pull out the article for us.