News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fenton, MI July 20-21, 2013

Started by ITB, July 19, 2013, 11:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Placeholder to get a url for my handouts.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

D.O.M.

I've had my nap, so I guess I'll post up about the AMAZING event we just had at Fenton Lakes.
Well done, Keith! That water really IS a little bit heavier, isn't it? Allehondro, you have a great story to tell about your "road  to Rifleman" I'd sure like to hear you tell it to a group of participants some day. I'll post up pics when I can. We have a gang of 'em! Now for another nap!

Oh, I'll be calling you about your chair and stuff Gerret.
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

Bluesteel

Thanks 'burbs and D.O.M.  I had a great time again and was proud to qualify with irons and really "find the bubble" on those last couple of AQT's!  I'm still thinking hard about becoming an IIT, and if things go well for me over the next couple of months I may come to the Sept. shoot in Fenton and take on the orange hat.  In the mean time, I'll be promoting Project Appleseed through my facebook page and one-on-one with friends.  Already have one excited about sending her son, who wants to be a State trooper!  I'll also be helping my friend Will (whom I brought to the June Fenton event) improve his technique so that he can achieve rifleman on his next try.

I guess I'm lucky to have stumbled into Project Appleseed from a friends Facebook post back in March and to have been able to first participate as a complete greenhorn to rifle shooting (had only fired maybe 300-400 rounds out of any type of firearm before 1st attending).  I suppose that I could be a poster boy for what no previous bad habits, good instruction and a lot of dry fire practice can achieve. :)

Thanks again for all of the hard work in putting together another great event!  Looking forward to seeing the photo's of it.

D.O.M.

And now for some pics!
:pics:
there will be more later as well! (i hope)

Time for History! (and water. lots of water...)

Gibson's POI for the sitting position

The Line

clearing a minor jam

Gibson issuing lead at rifleman's cadence with the SOCOM

Prepping for stage 2 of the AQT

Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

Magikphun

It was an honor and priveldge to take part in this weekends Appleseed.

And it was a bit of a thrill making Rifleman. OK. More than a bit. I was more than a little shocked when I started getting close on day two. Day one was a bit frustrating trying to get the hang of NPOA. It started clicking just before lunch, and when 'Burbs let me use his rifle while mine was giving me some headaches, it all started coming together... Then it started getting REALLY fun... "Woah... I am actually getting the hang of this!"

The people I met were great, instructors were awesome (I can only hope to have a kid as cool, confident, and smart as Gibson!), and I couldn't have asked for a better (and more inspirational) time. I really hope to be able to contribute to Project Appleseed in the future.

Thank you again, everyone.

Keith Stickley

Dr Honeydo

I had a wonderful day Saturday, participating in my first Appleseed Event in Fenton, Michigan.  Sadly, I could only handle one day of the program due to back and hip issues.  But what a day I had!
The instructors demonstrated so much passion and commitment, all day long (which says a lot on such a long, hot day).  Their ability to explain the marksmanship goals made sense to even a novice shooter such as myself (I had never before shot a rifle).  I felt a bit fearful and intimidated when they sent us out for the first round of target practice with little instruction, but throughout the day as the lessons progressed, having a raw baseline for comparison began to make sense.  Each lesson built easily on the one that preceded it.  By the end of the day, I had three shots neatly grouped in the 200-yd target of the redcoat paper!  All day long, the two red hats offered me small pointers to improve or correct my efforts with the rifle.  Even when I needed major help, such as during seated shooting which was a difficult position with the limited range of motion I have in my left hip, they guided me one step at a time into a workable position.  Never did they offer too many corrections at once, nor did they just say "It should look like this" and hope I could copy it.  They patiently helped my correct my knees, then my elbows, then my hands, etc. until it all fell into place.  I still only got three shots into the stage 2 section of the AQT, but that I could do that part at all left me feeling triumphant.  Not a bad result for a reluctant rifleman!
The history presentations during breaks in the shade were truly inspiring.  The three presenters brought the history to life.  As a parent and wife, the stories of John Harrington and Isaac Davis easily pulled at my heartstrings.  Many of the other shooters (all men) could be seen with a tear in their eye as well.  The stories of conviction and determination on behalf of the colonists as they harassed British troops back to Boston resonated with the American spirit we should all feel today. 
The points of instruction demonstrations were equally well presented.  For each position for firing, the instructors described the steps clearly and demonstrated them patiently, so we felt confident we could do them ourselves.  Even the math lesson on "inches, minutes, and clicks" came across with lucidity (except that I didn't actually know what a "click" was).  Math is not an American specialty, and no insult intended to my fellow shooters, but even the tattooed trucker-types seem to be able to follow the trigonometry behind the relationship of inches on the target and angles of aim with the way their instructor explained it. 
Thank you so much for a wonderful experience.

Webster

D.O.M. - Thanks for the help with the chair.  I understand you and Matt met this evening in Owosso, so thanks for that!  (My wife loves that chair.)

Appleseed this weekend was faaaaaaaaaaaaa(43 a's)n-tastic.  My hat is off to all of the instructors, especially those of you who offered about 500 different rifles to Matt and Kevin.  ;)  The unique blend of history and shooting made this hands-down the most enjoyable training experience I've had in a very long time, and that's what I do for a day job.

For me the standout moments fell into two categories - the clear passion the instructors had about the history (Seriously Gibson, I had dust in my eye after Isaac Davis' story -standout job on that!)  The other category was the high-quality instruction; the difference in my Saturday before/after Redcoat targets was amazing to me.

Hearing Alejandro's story about dry fire was inspiring, too - NPOA, here I come.

-Gerret
Qui Transtulit Sustinet

Papa Pokey

WOW! what a weekend,  O0 My thanks for a great time goes out to Burbs, D.O.M., Gibson,  Waveman, Stankster, and Flyboy.

Myself, sons, and Grandson learned more in two days, and had fun together than is usual due to schedules.

Burbs and D.O.M. I hope the W.W.C.C.A. affiliation becomes reality. I believe it would be a win- win for both organizations. Looking forward to another opportunity to participate as a family.

A lot of info was covered in two days and some frustration too, but all had a great time! Some times the mind is willing but the body isn't.

devilkitty

It has taken a bit of time to organize thoughts regarding my experience, but I believe I have found some sort of order for them, and shall discourse briefly forthwith.

I must own myself impressed by the quality of instruction, and in particular the delivery of the historical narrative. I was fortunate enough to have an American History instructor thirty years ago who spent a good eight hours on the events of 18-19 April 1775 and the causes precipitating them: it raised a lump in my throat then; it still does today, especially as some of the details had escaped my memory.

I recall the swelling of patriotism in 1976. I recall its general dwindling among the populace in 1977 and beyond, when the "party was over".

If we don't care, who will?

I shall be putting in dry practice time and making some equipment adjustments; then shall I return to wreak my vengeance on the AQT. Those last ten points will not elude me again (and they might not have on the twenty-first, had I noticed the ten to twelve degrees cant of my reticle after adjusting eye relief: one more thing sandbags are good for!).

It is good work you do, and important work. I am pleased to have been a small part of it.
Charlie
Grovertown, Ind.

Have Blue Hat -- Will Travel
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -- Thomas Pynchon
"A people who forget who they are will become whatever they are told they are." -- Graywolf

D.O.M.

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

D.O.M.

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

D.O.M.

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

Little Pokey

Appleseed was the most fun i ever had!!! I also loved getting to spend with grandpa pokey, my dad, and my uncles. I had tons of fun shootin and learning about some of the history about the Reveloutionary War. I want to thank everyone there and i hope to do it again.

D.O.M.

Shooters! Listen up!
Heh...
Thank you for all your kind words. The fact that you came out with such teachable attitudes thrilled me. I really hope to see you at future Appleseed events. Bring some friends!

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73