News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

July 13 KD Shoot Experience

Started by Cookintraining, July 15, 2013, 09:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookintraining

I would like to start a thread specific to the KD shoot this last weekend.

For most of us cooks it is a rare experience to be able to shoot at distance at any time. Let alone with the mentoring of the Expert Marksmen of the Appleseed Red Hats! While I did not shoot as well as I liked, I did accomplish many of the goals that I set for myself for the weekend.

1. My Center Fire rifle setup works well, fits me to a T, and shoots all day without any flinch induction. (any fault in shooting could not be blamed on the equipment)

2. 3,3,3,4 is seared in my brain both going up and going down the scale. (in other words the ballistic arc is experientially understood both in short to long and long to short sight settings)

3. I now KNOW that the MOA cone is consistant at rifleman distances. (I figure that at my worst I was still shooting in a 5-6 MOA cone out past 400 Meters)

I would like to thank all the volunteer instructors and my fellow KP

The Shootboss asked me to PM him and I totally forgot his handle, If he gets back to me at the above handle I have a few comments for him
"Never had much use for one" Matthew Quigley's comment when asked about the Colt Revolver

jmdavis

KD is fun, isn't it? It's a great way to spend a weekend.

I would advise, however that you confirm the 3,3,3,4 for yourself with your rifle. It's good enough to keep you on paper, but "on paper" doesn't mean in the 5 ring or even the 4 ring. With the standard AR, I wind up shooting BSZ and using a slightly different hold at 100,200, and 300. Then adjusting my sights for 400. My M1 and AR service rifles have different come ups. Learning "your" rifle is an important part of making it "yours."

Somewhere online is an electronic copy of the AQT targets that is printable on 8.5x11 paper. Or you can buy them from Fred's M14 Stocks if you like. Download it and practice with your rimfire until you are consistently shooting 4 moa or less in sitting and prone (note that the V ring for standing is 6 moa).  When you next pickup your centerfire you will find yourself shooting better groups and rifleman scores. When it comes to improving quickly you will find that the rimfire and even airguns can provide profound help in improving your positions, trigger control, follow through and groups. But for that to happen you have to be focused (both on the front sight and the act of shooting).

Congratulations and good luck,

Mike

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Transform

Quote from: Cookintraining on July 15, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
The Shootboss asked me to PM him and I totally forgot his handle, If he gets back to me at the above handle I have a few comments for him

Your shoot boss' forum name is 'adamsod'.
Adamsod  has also started a thread for your event at:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=36647.0