News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bailey, CO July 13-14 2013

Started by Fred, July 15, 2013, 08:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Nestled high (8000') in the pine-covered Rockies SW of Denver, overlooked by Cathedral Rock (being from NC, I could only compare it with our famous Chimney Rock - but I suspect CR would fit in Cathedral Rock about 100,000 times!), Buffalo Creek Gun Club says it's "the prettiest gun range in Colorado". Not having been to all the ranges in CO, I can't judge that claim but can say that if there's a prettier one, it is really pretty!

The range also has history, dating back to being a military range from 1917 - that'd be the era of 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfields, likely some Krags, and I wouldn't be surprised at a few 1873 Springfields having shown up!

I was visiting Bailey from the East Coast to fill in for a missing Shoot Boss.

Bailey is less than an hour from Denver, a good location - and scenic Forest Service camping nearby is $7 a night for those who want to combine a weekend getaway with an Appleseed.

We did a long-range course of fire on Sunday afternoon at 300 yards (standard Rifleman zeroing distance, right?).

Saturday served up periods of light rain, heavy rain and hail. Because I brought rain gear out Sunday, the equally black rain clouds refused more than a couple of light sprinkles. ;D

We had a good crew of students, and there were examples of steep improvements in marksmanship over the course of the two days. One among the many was 13-yr old Nathaniel, who altho relatively new to the AR-15, put 3 out of his 5 sighter shots in the "5" ring at 300 yards! Way to go! A future, rifleman, for sure! O0

Like all Appleseeds, this one ended too soon, despite everyone being tuckered out. Let's hope some folks took the message of "saving the sinking ship" home with them...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Metalhed

Fred,  Thanks for the kind words.  Buffalo Creek Gun Club is proud to have RWVA as a partner.  We look forward to shooters coming out and walking up the stairs to the 600 yard line and going WOW!   I think a prettier range woudl be hard to find, but I am somewhat biased.

The rain was tremendous on saturday.  I have to admit that I sought Shelter, all the while the shooters laid in the puddles and kept pulling triggers and got soaked.

I hope that many more folks will come out to enjoy our range and to partake in an anwesome program-- Appleseed

Best regards
Gavin W
President, Buffalo Creek Gun Club
Bailey Colorado

Send_It

Thanks to Gavin and BCGC for being such a spectacular host and site. Thanks to Fred and all the instructors who helped me grow this weekend. What an opportunity.

Best,
Jason L Allen
Dangerous old man in training!

BrassBucket

Sorry it took so long to get these up! The file sizes were so large I had to compress them all individually. If you would like the full sized versions, send me a message with your email and which pictures and I'll shoot them off to you.

Amazing shoot in beautiful Bailey. Thanks so much to our hosts and kudos to all the fabulous shooters. It was a pleasure to work with all you gentlemen.

Alice
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

- Col. Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offy

Took me a week, sorry for the delay.  Enjoy these pictures, I had a great time with a bunch of people who know what they are about.  Even got to meet the man, the legend himself...Fred.

:pics:

Offy

Last pictures are here...

BrassBucket

Thanks for the awesome pictures, Offy! I few of them make me feel all soaked and cold all over again! I have to say to all the shooters and instructors how impressed I was with the persistence and willingness to still get down there and shoot while Mother Nature battered us pretty substantially. It was one of the many lessons in Appleseed -- always bring rain gear!

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

- Col. Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Massasauga

I wish to thank everyone for the show of persistence through the weather we had on Saturday and then showing up again on Sunday. Along with the beauty of the range was the awesome sound of the rifle reports through the valley. To me it sent the message "Let freedom ring".
I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.

- Patrick Henry

Fred

Oops! I am informed that "Cathedral Rock" is actually named Castle Rock (even if I prefer the former as capturing the reaction on seeing it in person!).

Here's a picture taken in winter, kindly supplied by the club. I hope we'll be having some events at this location this winter...

Thinking about it, this would make a nice screensaver for summer months. :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Taylor

Quote from: BrassBucket on July 22, 2013, 10:54:55 AM
Thanks for the awesome pictures, Offy! I few of them make me feel all soaked and cold all over again! I have to say to all the shooters and instructors how impressed I was with the persistence and willingness to still get down there and shoot while Mother Nature battered us pretty substantially. It was one of the many lessons in Appleseed -- always bring rain gear!

Great to see you back in action BB.  O0 We do miss you and The Dud back here in the Northland.  :(
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison