News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need Assistance : 4 hours : September 28, 2013 : Grafton, Illinois

Started by Mutti, July 08, 2013, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutti

Sent via PM, but also placed for Updates:

We have been approached by the International "Becoming an Outdoors Women" program to assist September 28th, 2013 at Pere Marquette State Park in Grafton, Illinois for a group of 12 Women who will be completing the following course from 1:30 - 4:30 pm.

Becoming an Outdoor Women

Pere Marquette State Park site specific to this Event

**Rifle: Learn the basics of selecting a rifle and rifle shooting. Firearms &
Firearms Safety is a prerequisite for this session.
Firearms and ammo provided.

The Director has become familiar with Appleseed (while we spoke   ;D  )    and while we will not be running an Appleseed Clinic, we are welcome to give this promotional opportunity an "Appleseed Spin".

If you are not Instructing at one of the Appleseed's on the Schedule, we need IITs of all levels to assist in ensuring that this can be done safely with enough time to "Seventh Step" on the line.

I like to refer to this as "Work of Mouth" leading to "Word of Mouth".

The Director will be providing 5 bolt action Rifles (with ammo) and several .223s (with ammo). If you can volunteer, bring 1 rifle, and 1 mat - the 12 Attendees could have the awesome experience of one-on-one experienced instruction. This might also provide an opportunity for a "break in the action" and discussion via D.O.W.  as to why we are enjoying the day with them.

Please consider looking at your schedules and participating in this "Out of the Box" outreach.

The mind you awaken just might be among these Ladies!

---------
Who: Becoming an Outdoors Women

What:
Assisting for Rifle Safety & Instruction

Where:
Pere Marquette State Park   Grafton, IL

When:
Saturday   :   September 28th, 2013  1-5 pm (approximate)

Why:
Seventh Stepping to increase awareness of Project Appleseed in Illinois and Nationwide
------

Please PM me with any questions.

----
Instructor List:

Mutti
RiflesnReins
NavNuke
Powder Monkey
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Powder Monkey

I'm your Huckleberry.

Looks like 2 weekends in September, eh?
So you're still a cook?  Hey, at least you are here, which is a whole lot better than everyone else not here.  PERSEVERE!  You WILL  succeed!

Mutti

Quote from: Powder Monkey on July 08, 2013, 08:54:15 PM
I'm your Huckleberry.

Looks like 2 weekends in September, eh?

Yep. Look forward to working with you - and hope to see Shelly @ Carmi.

Neexxxttt?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Mutti

Bump - we now have 5 committed. AK will be attending the entire weekend! Great chance for a few more to help out.

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

imadentist

You know I am already in but I just want to make it official.  I will bring two mats a 10-22, AR15, an AK, so that the ladies have a chance at exposure to different firearms.  It may be beneficial to see if we could have a very diverse offering of rifles that the ladies could rotate through on...all my bolties are .308 and left hand so that is probably not much good but I know some of you have m1's, m1a's, m1carbines, etc. etc.

Having exposure to different systems is one big step to building confidence and that is always a good thing.

Any Ideas for target arrays...keeping in mind they want this to be fun.  I was thinking of plastic bottles (6oz,12oz, 2 liter etc. filled with water, balloons air/water, eggs, etc.  we also have the new AS rifleman game (PolarBear has the first prototype made) we could have head to head competition using this and that would raise the level of fun way up the scale.  Basically it is a series of 1" square (arranged like a ferris wheel) tied to a coarse thread and one shooter is trying to get his/her square all the way to the left while the other shooter is trying to get his/her square all the way to the right....whoever gets done first wins....it is challenging and much simpler to shoot that it is to try and explain.  We could have a tournament and prizes for the top 3.

Jedi

September is in the next school semester so I can only commit tentatively.  But if I cannot make it I can commit a scoped Rem 700 righthand .300 w/ 40 rounds (maybe too big for a famfire class)  I also have a fun little air rifle that makes a GREAT ice breaker for newbies.  My mat and some .22 ammo can be used as well.
"There is no thing good or evil, except that thinking makes it so"

Mutti

Bump.  Looks like we need some additional assistance here.  MO folks?  I'd like to make sure we have a nice cross section of our Staff represented here.  PM with any questions.

Mutti
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Mutti

Update: Travelled up to Pere Marquette State Park to verify firing line, etc. Saturday. If you are coming up Saturday - Please PM me so I can send you a scanned map to the site we will be working on as directions are a little convoluted inside the Park itself.

There is no cell phone service for most of the park. I will meet any of you at the Visitor Center @ 12:30 to guide you in if needed and will be arriving at 11:30 am to set up the firing line, target backers, etc. If you'd like to join us - please let me know.

Roads are all in good shape so no truck/4wd would be needed.  There are some beautiful trails if Instructors wanted to bring their families to visit the park before we begin the line @ 1 pm.

There is also a nice little Biker BBQ place down the road if you all want to have an after action meeting - meals about $7.50 and they have a disco ball  ;D

See ya there - Sharon/Mutti
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)