News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cavalier 200 yard Rimfire Match

Started by jmdavis, July 06, 2013, 09:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

Today was another of Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club's 200 yard rimfire matches. These consist of 20 shots (10 each at a 6 inch and 7.2 inch steel plate) at 200 yards. It was a hot day and we only had 6 shooters.

The match may be shot prone or from a bench but one may only use a sling or wrist rest (in the English style) for the competition. One may use scopes or irons. Though if using irons I suggest good aperature sights. The winner today was shooting prone with sling using a 40 year old .22 and surplus Remington ammunition.

If any of you are interested, the match is the first Saturday of the month and follows the 200 yard Rambash (a 200 yard offhand shoot using Black Powder Cartidge Rifles). The Rambash starts with sighters at 9 am. And the rimfire match and/or a 500 yard offhand Buffalo match follows around noon to one.

Two hundred yards with the rimfire is an extremely close analogue to  shooting the .308, .30-06 or .303 at 1000 yards.

The thing that originally got me interested in 200 yard (and further rimfire) were some old articles from the 50's on the internet and shooting 200 and 300 yard popups at Ramseur with a .22 target rifle.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Beowolf_357

jmdavis

I think that glass costs more than the rifle, even after buying a NOS Canjar trigger. I use a $100 Simmons 44 MAG  with fairly good mildots. It's not readily repeatable so I generally keep it set for 200.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

FiremanBob

Couldn't do it this weekend, will try to make it next month. The iron class will be a good test for my new 10/22 with Williams FP/Lyman globe sights.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

jmdavis

Try to get a good 100 yard zero first. Once you have your 100 yard zero you should need "around" 80 clicks to get your 200 yard zero.

By "around" I mean that it may be 80 or could be 120.

PHenry

Oddly enough - I just shot a Marlin 60 at 200 yesterday.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

The Wolfhound

Is it by definition .22LR?  We were ringing 300 yard steel with my .22WMR up in Lynchburg without adjusting sights.  We guestimated the hold over and Rifleman's danced our way in.  I have a plus 20MOA rail on it so it should easily be capable of true point of aim at 3-400 yards.  My .17HMR should reach even better unless the wind is blowing.

jmdavis

.22lr only at this point. It is a variation on a rimfire match that ran up until the 60's or so. Two hundred and three hundred yard rimfire matches used to be popular. They are staring to become so again. It is a great means to test and practice your prone position and is analogous to 1000 yards with the .30 cals for both wind and elevation.