News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

My first thoughts about project appleseed

Started by freeyoureagles, June 29, 2013, 08:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freeyoureagles

Taken from "The Crisis" by Thomas Paine.
  December 23, 1776
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

History has always fascinated me; this has always been one of my favorite quotes and was one of the first I ever committed to memory. I have searched and enjoyed reading most anything I could find regarding past events. When a friend of mine sent to me a link to a new website called "Appleseeds", my first thoughts were of that fellow that had traveled the country sowing the seeds of apple trees that Americans would continue to enjoy many years after his passing, but this new website was different and it was a treat from the very beginning.
  My pulse quickened with excitement as I discovered historical facts that until now I had only thought I had known the truth of. Somehow it seems that the actual events surrounding the battles for our independence and the real reasons why America fought that war had been quietly left out of our history books in favor a more politically correct story. How sad.
  It was not however just the truths of our Country's history that caught my interest, it was also the total commitment of volunteers from all over the nation who were giving unselfishly of their time and talents to teach others of all different ages and origins the art of holding a rifle and hitting a target out to several hundred yards or more. There are few things in this life that appeal to me and provide courage and confidence as strongly as "skill at arms", and it's something I want my kids to learn as well.
  I was amazed to learn that when our Country was founded that even average men, women and even children were taught the proper ways to handle a rifle and were then able to hit targets with iron sights at distances almost unheard of today. This was important not only for personal defense, but also as a means to put food on the family table. I continued to read and research with unbridled enthusiasm until my hands became sore from overuse and my eyes complained from fatigue. In just a few hours I had gained so much knowledge concerning the fight for our freedom that even though my mind had absorbed all that was possible for now my heart still yearned in earnest for more.
  I reluctantly closed the Appleseeds website and shut down the computer for the night, knowing full well that my vast appetite for the truth had not yet been fully satisfied. I knew I would be back in front of that screen first thing in the morning to once again continue my journey; I am truly looking forward to the time when I will be able to take my family to the field and join the firing line with others and we'll sow our first Appleseeds together. I'll be sure to update everyone just as soon as we get back. Thanks for taking the time to learn with me.

Sincerely; Larry W. Hill
   Metter, Georgia

Sly223

Great stuff my friend,
thanks for sharing,
I am excited for you Dr. Jon an Ramblin' wreck kick off fantastic events in that area!
I can't wait for ya.
Your whole family will now have a multitude of fun challenging subjects to talk about and learn from each other grow and bond.
It happened to my family it has been the coolest thing since ice cubes! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

brianf31

It's good to hear that the message resonates with you. We look forward to having you on the line. The closest shoot to you is in Dublin on 26-27 October, but you're welcome at any of 'em!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Ramblin' Wreck

Hey FreeYourEagles,
Glad you enjoyed your first Appleseed experience. It isn't close to you but there is an Appleseed weekend in Columbiana, AL July 20-21 where I'll be Shoot Boss. Please consider joining us if you can. You can find the complete schedule at www.appleseedinfo.org.

See you on the line.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown