News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Indianapolis, IN June 15-16 2013

Started by spitfire51, June 17, 2013, 10:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitfire51

We have a saying here in Indiana that laying on gravel makes you shoot better.  Several great Americans (and one Brit, yeah we heard that funny accent and we still let him shoot  :cool2:) arrived early this past Saturday morning at Marion County Fish and Game in Indianapolis to test that theory.  And as it turns out, there's something to that saying.  After getting started on the redcoats and marveling over how our forefathers were able to drill that "head shot" with consistency, we moved on to the five-squares and learned just how this marksmanship thing works.  After great improvement on our prone positions we listened to Grunt Soldier begin the tale of the Three Strikes.  Then it was on to the standing and sitting positions, the second strike, and then the day culminated with an AQT.  The shooters were then given the solemn advice to use the night to catch up on hydrating.

Sunday dawned with the threat of rain, but we didn't let that get in the way as we hit the AQT grind head-on.  We ended up with one new Rifleman with the score achieved right before lunch, and after the tales of the dangerous old men several shooters were so incredibly close to that elusive 210 score that it was heart-breaking when the day had to end.  However, a great time (and a safe time) was had by all.  I hope those who didn't quite get their patch come back and see us again soon, and I hope I'm at the next events they attend because I was really proud of how much everyone improved this weekend.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

BrotherBill3

I had a great time, and learned  great many things. Thanks to the instructors: Spitfire, Grunt Soldier, and Hernando.  You all had it down and all together. I was only able to attend 1 day (I was talked into it last minute) but I learned a great deal about my own training needs; the limitations of the equipment I had (some maintenance is needed ... :-\ ) and some AWESOMELY important history.  I plan to get to another event (and not take too long to do so).  I just have to deal w/ the equipment issues.

and figure out how to get a few more family members interested.

I'm already a bit 'involved' in the some ways; but the history really inspires me to stand UP more. Fortunately for us, that doesn't mean as much danger as it did for those on April 19, 1775.  :) ...

Thanks for a great day and a great program ...

grunt soldier

It was an amazing weekend. Not to hot and some great Americans on the line with teachable attitudes. Some amazing history and marksmanship was taught and learned!

Thank you all for attending and hopefully will see you all again soon!
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

theosemporium

As the only non-shooter in attendance (other than the folks with the fancy colored hats), I can honestly say that the event was run in a most professional manner.  Safety was one of the paramount themes, but was never enforced in an overbearing way ... it was just presented as simply a matter of fact ... just another part of the overall program.  Everything was well paced and the instruction and history are second to none. 

I will be back to another Appleseed only the next time will be with my rifle in hand!

FWIW, Emma is hemming and hawing about going back to try for her Rifleman score ... that is a good sign.  She'll think about it for a month or so, then we'll get out to the range, shoot a few informal AQT's, and her competitive spirit will kick in and she'll be back.  With consistent scores of >180, and all but her first AQT scoring in the Sharpshooter range, there is no doubt in my mind that she will be a Rifleman very, very soon.  It's going to be difficult for ol' dad to keep up!

spitfire51

Some pictures from the weekend:

Yeah, it's a pink GI sling, what's it to ya.  That girl could flat out shoot with it.

Terrie works on building the prone position and getting that c-shaped trigger finger.  Nobody minded shooting on gravel, but elbow pads were nice to have.

Grunt soldier and Wild Deuce demonstrate the oh-so-important NPOA shifts

Time for some lunch and a wonderfully presented first strike of the match

A new example of what rifleman's bubble can do for you.  She never noticed her name tag getting caught up in the ponytail

Moving on to the standing position.  Ah dry fire practice, what a great thing.

Mark shot left-handed while working a right-handed bolt all day Saturday, never once let it get to him.

Our youth shooter Emma, who did a great job this weekend.  I have no doubt that with a little persistence she'll get a Rifleman patch at her next event.  Hopefully her dad will skip the observing next time and join her on the line.

Our new Rifleman Randy.  Got a 224, thought it was a fluke, but later backed it up with a 227.  Huzzah!
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

indyrubi

Had great time and have been recommending the course to everybody that will listen. 

Big thanks to Matt, Hernando, and Pat. They all did a great job and were very helpful. They helped me break some old habits and work on some new ones. It was a pleasent suprise getting my Rifleman patch.

Loved the history/stories, really liked the one about "the man on the pale horse".

Will be looking forward to do another one soon.  ;D