News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hopewell Junction, NY June 15 & 16, 2013

Started by VietVet, June 17, 2013, 12:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietVet

The Whortlekill Rod & Gun Club once again opened it's hearts and minds (not to mention Range) and hosted another very successful Appleseed Event this past weekend. Beautiful Range and members who served lunch to all.
So the first THANK YOU goes out to WR&GC for being such great hosts.

The weather was great for this one although Sunday was threatening at times we managed to get the event completed without seeing any rain which was forecast.

The shooters were great!
16 on the line on Saturday, 12 Sunday. All very eager to hear the History, Heritage and learn Marksmanship.

We have 1 NEW Rifleman and 2 Repeat Rifleman. (although the 2 repeat were RWVA Instructors who signed up to be Shooters this weekend).

Bob our NEW Rifleman consistently shot the score. He  scored 215, 220 and followed them up with a 230.

Congats and well done Bob!  O0

We had another Shooter (Jeff) who had an equipment malfunction, didn't get off 3 rounds and scored a 209.
He surely was knocking on that door but just couldn't get it open this time.

A great group of Patriots. thanks to all.

A special thanks to the Instructor crew. Josey Wales, grumpy1, Dude,  and Karis-Wheel.  Thanks for keeping this event running.
  Honorable mention to Jay Haich & longrange who although both were shooters at this one did jump in and lend a hand instructing.

Also congrats to grumpy1 who earned his Red Hat this weekend. He ran this event and did it well. Nice job Jon!

Hopefully I covered everything. If I missed something please remind me.

Photos to follow as soon as I can get around to it.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

VietVet

I managed to get those photos as promised. Enjoy...........

OUR

Dude

Thanks to VIET VET for another great job. It's a pleasure to work with him.

Speaking of a pleasure, it is indeed a great pleasure and an insiration to se Josey Wales coming out to teach and inspire shooters and instructors alike. Our prayers continue for him in his fight with cancer.

Special thanks and congratulations go to Grumpy1 on his attaining the Red Hat status. Hard work indeed has paid off.

The rest of the instructors stepped up, too, some off the line as shooters. Jay Haich, longrange, and of course Karis-Wheel [hey-go ahead and ask me if it's fun to work a shoot with your gaughter -or son- intructing with you on Father's Day! hehehe!]

A special thanks goes to our musket-shooting demonstrator, from Whortlekill-an EXCELLENT shot!

I think one thing we noticed was that we had improvement right across the board, EVERY shooter leaving with better skills than they came. And they have a new or much stronger sense of our shooting heritage as Americans, thanks to the passion with which Josey Wales delivers the story. 

Many have said they will return in the future to improve their skills and to help us further our cause.

and, longrange, my offer still stands to buy that 10/22 for parts for $250
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

sprntrcr

A big THANK YOU! to all the instructors this past weekend.   It was so refreshing to take a class and have all the instructors so passionate about the subject matter.  I've been shooting for well over 30 years and learned how poor or lacking my technique was.   Although it was like trying to drink out of a firehouse,  I still was able to implement a lot of the information and felt my shooting had improved a lot by Sunday afternoon.   With some practice, I'm hoping to come back next time and shoot rifleman.   

We are planning on trying to make the next Appleseed in Saugerties and I have already hit up two people about joining us.

Great weekend!

Rob & Blake

Josey Wales

..Yes I brought myself up to attend the Hopewell Junction, NY shoot.  I was hesitant up until the last moment to go but so glad I did attend.  Spending time with such good folk makes me feel so alive.  The Instructors who have become my friends also inspire me to be the best man I can be.  Spending time with them working, learning, teaching, I am thankful to experience these things.  The shooters worked hard to improve and learn they give me hope in what we do.  Some times the question comes up that if Appleseed is making a difference in our country, well is it?  I say you bet it is.  I am confident that over the last 4 1/2 years of attending and teaching Appleseeds that many peoples lives have been changed for the better because of the program, and thats the fact jack..

..............Strength & Honor...................Josey Wales..................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Dakota

Congratulations on a successful event! I remember going to the first event at that facility with some of the best instructors the program ever produced.
Dedication and devotion to the mission are always the backbone of the NY crew, any student that attends a NY event will attest to that.

Thank you guys for staying the course. I wandered from the path for a short time and have found my way back, partly because of the inspiration instilled in me by my predecessors.

I hope our paths cross again in the near future.

Strength and Honor = Josey Wales
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

longrange

Big thanks to Viet-Vet. He works hard and it always pays off! Great shoot.
  I keep saying, I learn something every time out, this shoot was no different.  It was great to see Josey Wales! I'm a new IIT and Josey Is always encouraging and helpful. Grumpy1, CONGRATS on the new RED HAT. You totally deserve it. Dude and Karis-wheel it was great to work with you all again.
Until next time!

Longrange

~Kathy

Yeah!  Another Appleseed weekend.
This was my first AS in New York State and it was great.  Everyone on the line was there to learn and I was impressed by all of our Hats who gave up their time to provide this opportunity.  Coming home invigorated, yet sans patch, I quickly signed up for another one (as usual!) so I will see some of you in Westchester!!  I am determined to get that 210 !!!
I love the drills, the advice and the history presented by various people in their own poignant ways...... it is very inspiring to me

There is something that I have to mention that really moved me ~
All of that history, the stories of men leaving behind everything including families and heading out alone to do what they could, while they could.....all of those stories we hear all weekend..... well those stories mean something.....and then at the very end of the day Sunday I was talking to Josey and I had no idea that YOU ~ Josey Wales ~ you had been so recently ill, yet so amazing and ABLE to be there with us all weekend.  I will never forget that.  I love your passion and I am so glad I met you.  I did not know what you were enduring all weekend long.  It tore me up.  YOU are one of those men who are in those stories you tell to us and YOU are a story and legacy all your own!  God Bless You Brother and thank you !!

LongRange - Thank you for your efforts in whacking that stubborn Bolt pin out and hooking me up with the teflon!  I can't wait to try it out, after I clean it well, I know!
Thanks to VietVet our shootboss - Grumpy1 - Dude & Karis    -    Thanks ALL

Persisting...............

Smurf

WOW!!!! by looking at the pictures and reading the comments, it seems that Hopewell Junction was a SUPERSEED!!! It seems the topnotch staff did a great job of motivating and inspiring some new riflemen!!!!! AND CONGRATULATIONS TO GRUMPY1. That's a nice new RED HAT so go out and get some mud on it!!!

R1SGx2

Nice,,,
Grumpy1 looks good in red... Nice work by all.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Grumpy1

This was a Great Event!

Thank You to the Whorterkill Rod and Gun Club for the use of a excellent facility!

Thanks to our Shoot Boss Viet Vet, and our instructors Josey Wales, Dude, Karis Wheel,and longrange,  your dedication made this an enjoyable and educational event for all. :bow:

Congrats to our newest Rifleman Bob O0, Nice Job!

Plus our two Repeat Rifleman, James and Gunny, Great Work!

Thank You to all our Shooters, who watched their groups shrink as Their skills improved!

We all had a Great Weekend!

My poor hat :'( we had some Great Times ;)

I hope to see you all again , Soon
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

VietVet

Quote from: Grumpy1 on June 18, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

Oh yes. His hat. His old Orange Hat.
When someone earns their Red Hat we "Retire" his Orange Hat.
It gets placed on one of the target backers and let the Shooters "Retire" it.

Here's a photo taken just before we sent it into retirement.

If anyone has one AFTER it was "Retired" please post it.

Grumpy1 maybe you can take one and let everyone see.

OUR

sprntrcr

Received my July/August copy of Backwoods Home magazine today and Massad Ayoob's article is "Preparing for an Appleseed event".   About a week too late :wb:

Grumpy1

Quote from: VietVet on June 18, 2013, 03:31:02 PM
Quote from: Grumpy1 on June 18, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

Oh yes. His hat. His old Orange Hat.
When someone earns their Red Hat we "Retire" his Orange Hat.
It gets placed on one of the target backers and let the Shooters "Retire" it.

Here's a photo taken just before we sent it into retirement.

If anyone has one AFTER it was "Retired" please post it.

Grumpy1 maybe you can take one and let everyone see.
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

sprntrcr

Just signed up Blake and myself for Saugerties in October.   We are looking forward to it.

Rob...

I've also put the word out to a bunch of folks.  Hopefully some of them will make it too.