News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Loaner rifle for Sparta June 29-30, 2013

Started by scuzzy, June 10, 2013, 10:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

I've got an inquiry asking if there is a loaner available. Can anybody help with this?

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

scuzzy

Just emailed the guy back saying there would be loaners available. Hopefully him and his wife will get out there with you guys.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

imadentist

I signed up three shooters last night and at least one of them will most likely need a loaner also. 

Steck

dond

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Spooky130

Headed to my first Appleseed at Sparta next weekend.  I plan to bring my old Remington 511 Scoremaster for economic reasons - i.e. I have .22LR ammo and shooting 500 rounds won't break the bank like shooting 5.56 / 7.62 / .30-06.  All that being said, it is a bolt action rifle and I have two 15 round mags.  Will this hamper the flow for myself and the others on the line?  I unfortunately don't have access to my 10-22 at this point which sounds like just the ticket for this event and my newer GSG .22LR Sturmgewehr at 10 pounds with a magazine which extends 18" from the bottom might not work well.  Any thoughts on rifle selection at this point?

Thanks!
Spooky

2 clicks low

I doubt you could get into the prone or seated positions we teach with an 18" mag. Bring the bolt. If it is not working well then between Steck, Dond and the others I'm willing to be there will be a more suitable rife to borrow. But I would first suggest trying your rifle.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Spooky130

Thanks for the advice!  I will bring my handful of 10-22 magazines I have as well just in case. 

Does anyone know if this will be the full course or low round count course?

Spooky

Mutti

Each Weekend has so many variables that bringing 500 will most likely ensure you go home with some.  Bring you, your rifle and a "teachable attitude" - we'll work on the rest!  ..:..

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

MGF

I can definitely throw an extra .22LR in the car.
Re ammo: I've got lots of bulk I can let go of at cost, no so much re match-grade stuff or CCI Minimag. (The Minimags do well from M&P 15-22, less well through my Ruger 10.22. Go figure.)
But I'll bring a bunch of rounds in case anyone needs some.

Spooky130

All,

Thanks for a great experience last weekend!  As a history major and American I definitely enjoyed learning more about the days leading up to the Revolution - very interesting.  I did a little additional research regarding Samuel Whittemore - I imagine his history pre- April 19, 1775 was just as interesting as his acts that day.

I think I'll upgrade rifles for the next round - the bolt action was a bit slow for the stage 2/3 due primarily to a less than stellar magazine set up.  I think I'd do much better with sights that didn't require "Kentucky Windage" as well!

Overall I had a great time - the crowd was large which I think slowed us down a bit as I would have liked to get through a few more AQTs.  The weather was...fun?  Only downside was getting burned by some .223 brass!

Pete!

Spooky130,

I'm glad you enjoyed it!  I agree, Samuel Whittemore is The Man.

Check out the After Action Report and chime in there:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=36362.0

-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)