News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Something to Think About

Started by Agrivere, May 28, 2013, 09:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrivere

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post something like this, but it's an interesting article, and something to think about for sure...

By Ron Fournier of the National Journal, the link to the original article is here.

What If the Next President is Even Worse?

George W. Bush in 2001 declared war on a tactic (terrorism), and empowered Big Brother to tap phones, launch drones and indefinitely imprison people without due process.

Barack Obama in 2008 declared those Bush policies an overreach, and pledged to curb drone strikes, protect media freedoms, and close the prison at Guantanamo Bay. Instead, he escalated drone strikes and spied on the media. Gitmo is still open for its grim business.

These are facts. And yet, they are distorted by extreme and narrow-minded partisans, supporters of both Bush and Obama.

Conservatives contend that Bush single-handedly prevented a major terrorist strike after Sept. 11, 2001. They demagogue efforts to shift the pendulum back toward civil liberties. Last week, when Obama finally proposed a modest reassessment of the Bush doctrine, Sen. Saxby Chambliss claimed that the efforts "will be viewed by terrorists as a victory."

Liberals hypocritically gave Obama a pass for furthering the same policies they condemned in 2008. Criticism from the left was half-hearted and muted, compared to their Bush-era indignation. On Gitmo, left-wingers rightly blamed the GOP for blocking closure, but didn't shame Obama into using his executive authority to shutter the pit.

Some progressives even tried to justify the Obama administration's efforts to criminalize the work of a FOX News reporter. Would they be so blase about a White House targeting MSNBC?

As Leonard Downie Jr. wrote in Sunday's Washington Post, "Hardly anything seems immune from constitutionally dangerous politicking in a polarized Washington."

But that's no excuse for missing the big picture, which is this: Bush and Obama shouldn't worry you nearly as much as the next president.

Or the one after that.

Think about it, liberals. What if there is a president in your lifetime who is more conservative than Bush? What if that commander in chief is empowered, as were Bush and Obama, by a national tragedy and a compliant Congress?

Your guy Obama has armed a president-turned-zealot with dangerous powers and precedents.

Think about it, conservatives. It may be maddening to listen to Obama tie himself into knots over the balance between liberty and freedom, but what if the next Democratic president sees no limit on a commander in chief's powers? What if he or she doesn't give a whit about offending the mainstream media?

The IRS targeting conservatives is a scandal, but there is no evidence that it was directed by the White House. What if the next Democratic president publicly declared his or her political opponents a direct threat to national security, and openly deployed federal agents against them?

Before your eyes roll out of your heads, it is not unthinkable that a future U.S. president could make Bush and Obama look downright libertarian. We live in an age of rapid connectivity and hyper-celebrity, forces that create, destroy and often resurrect public figures within the lifespan of a cicada.  Does the name Justin Bieber ring a bell?

How about Sarah Palin? Our culture of celebrity coupled with the public's disaffection with Washington could lead to the election of a true demagogue or reactionary. Put it this way: What if Huey Long had access to the Internet? Or even Pat Buchanan? Don't be blinded by partisanship.

Left-wingers should be fighting the abuse of executive powers at home and abroad, rather than defending them.

Right-wingers should be demanding that Obama finally carry out the promises of his speech last week, rather than demonizing them.

What about the rest of us? How do we keep the country both safe and free? We don't cede the public square to these extremists.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

didactic

Brother, I agree that this article you referenced is interesting.  I even tend to agree with it.

But, unlike your thoughtful and thorough criticism of a recent Georgia shoot, I don't believe it belongs anywhere on this forum.  This is a WORKING forum for Project Appleseed issues, not a general political forum.

So thanks for your clearly good-faith analysis and criticisms.  And congrats on your personal performance!  Whether you ever become aware of it or not, those criticisms  have spurred a lot of thought and will produce improvements in the program.  I urge you to remain active in the program and this forum.

I'm not a forum moderator, so I'm not going to remove or edit your post.  Please don't take this as any kind of wrist-slap, just as information for a new member of our Brotherhood.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

PHenry

Agrivere,
As humans, we all are passionate creatures and that even applies to AS instructors, however, as we are an IRS registered non-prof, we are forbidden to espouse or condone any particular political platform, either here on the forum or at events. We are all unpaid volunteers and then there is that human thing and so from time to time, we slip up.

When I came to Appleseeds, I did so an an expert "iceberg counter" - items that threaten the good ship USA. I counted, I studied and I showed these icebergs to others incessantly. As these are issues over which I cannot hope to exercise any control, I was not only frustrated, but utterly ineffective at helping to save my country.

Appleseeds has taught me so many wonderful things - from simple marksmanship  to the ideals of a bunch of very determined farmers and shop keeps in late 1700s. I have learned that counting the icebergs doesn't work and that Appleseeding, while only making a tiny difference in grand scheme of life, does make a real difference. I can put my hands on it and make it right - if only one American at a time.

I feel yer pain sir - trust me I do. I still see them icebergs, but I let them go. I know some are serious and very real threats, but I will not count them when my time is better spent directly bailing  the sinking ship. Please accept the preceding as it is intended sir - to offer a glimpse into one man's chosen course and as an explanation of why we must not discuss modern politicians or modern legislation here or at events. Yes, we slip up often in both, but we strive to avoid it.

History and marksmanship - nothing more and nothing less. Besides, what could be more "radical", more moving than the ideals and traditions of the Founding generation?  Huzzaaaah!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Agrivere

I certainly can see your point, and it was not my intention to introduce any inappropriate dialog.  Perhaps it would be best if a moderator removed this post, as it does not really belong here.

Safe shooting,

Agrivere
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

PHenry

Agrivere,
There are plenty here, myself included, that could use some reminding on this point from time to time. No need to remove anything and no worries.
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata