News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla Aug. 16th & 17th - AAR

Started by TheUpsetter, August 19, 2008, 11:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheUpsetter

You know it is a great weekend when 60% of the shooters make rifleman scores.

However, we were all so very disappointed that the temperature did not break 100 as it did in June, because turning out 3 Rifleman in a mere high 90 degree heat somehow just does not feel as 'Texan' as it should.  At any rate, the shoot was fantastic, as it usually is out at Scout's place.  He is an excellent host and shoot boss.

On Sunday there were 5 shooters total, beginning the day with 4 10/22's and one Garand.  By late afternoon 2 shooters had earned their Rifleman's patch with scores around 217, and a third shooter, after having been 'anointed' with water from the North River in Massachusett's went from shooting in the high 100's to shooting a Rifleman's score of 233.  There is definitely something in the water.  By the end of the day there were 2 10/22's and 3 AR-15's on the line, as several guys made the switch because we were all having so much dang fun, we didn't want our AR's to go home feeling left out.

Scout's ranch is like a luxury spa, without the spa, of course.  And by luxury I mean dirt and heat.  He assembled a fantastic shade tent for the group since the last shoot, has his hill country shower on hand for the weenies, and had two red white and blue porta-potties so that you didn't have to break the patriotic mood when nature called. 

A big thanks to the excellent team of top ranking instructors:
Doug
Voortrekker
LabRat
SirNorAppearingInThisFilm

And an extra big thanks to the boss, Scout.

I'll see you guys at boot camp in November.
"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

I thought I'd get some Davilla, TX Appleseed pics posted. We had 8 shooters Saturday and 5 on Sunday. 3 shooters made Rifleman scores on Sunday!

First Strike of the Match:

You know the drill - 1 inch squares!

Ball and Dummy drill:

Brett and John cover the standing position:

A sitting/kneeling position demonstration:

Prone position demo:

This is one of those rare individuals who can get both elbows on the ground in a sitting position  :o:

robmitch showing us how its done in a sitting position:

and standing:

More info later... ;)

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Counselor

Does that M1A have a different sling attachment point at the front?

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Counselor on August 19, 2008, 12:00:13 PM

Yes. It's owner chose to add an attachment point closer to his preferred support hand position.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

voortrekker

Here's a few other pic's from last weekend's shoot.

The line Saturday afternoon

Ball and Dummy Drill Saturday

Demonstrating sitting/kneeling postions

Three new Riflemen.......... Forged on the Anvil of the AQT

His newly earned patch annealed with water that flowed under the North Bridge, a very fortunate Rifleman indeed

Close up.

After looking at these pictures, I cannot think but the reward it was, for myself, to see all three of these young men accept their patches.

They earned them.

When I saw Scout giving them their patches, I thought to myself, "Today is the the beginning of the rest of their lives."

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

LabRat

Quote from: Counselor on August 19, 2008, 12:00:13 PM

Yeah, it's now got an extra. Had to cut some circular reliefs on the inside of the stock for the washers and use short machine screws (I didn't use rivets) and thin nuts to attach the sling mount, otherwise it would've hit the op rod. Also cut a flat spot centered on the outside of the stock to help with having the attachment point "lay down" properly. Blue loctite keeps the nuts from working loose. It works pretty well.

Anyway....great pictures of a great shoot! I look forward to the next one in September and congratulations to the new Riflemen! Anyone who's been to an AS in Davilla is always welcome to contact me if you need a place to keep in live fire (but don't forget your dry fire, treat it like a daily vitamin) practice in between AS shoots.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine