News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eagle Creek June 8-9

Started by AmbulanceDriver, April 30, 2013, 09:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmbulanceDriver

NW folks, once again we get to go out to Eagle Creek at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club and make every shot count...  :D  So get signed up!!!  Because before too long, you'll be hearing,

"SHOOTERS! Your preparation period has ended!"

We're over a month away, and already the line is 20% full...   

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/6177744801

Oh, and I forgot to mention...   We'll have the ability to shoot to 200 yards at this AS....     :cool2:

skiddyfisk

Does that mean centerfire is on the table? :D

Kimber Custom

Yes, drrc allows center fire. We will be on the dynamic range next weekend.

scuzzy

I've got a request from a person signed up for this coming weekend at Eagle Creek. There are three of them already signed up under EventBrite. However an email I received said:

We bought tickets for next Saturdays eagle creek shooting lesson. We are unable to find any ammo, and any that we do find is very expensive. I realize we are a day past the week notice for cancellation, but we are out of options and would like our money back. How should we proceed?

Anybody out there that can help? I told him I'd post here or transfer him to another event in the future, assuming of course the ammo situation gets better one day soon.

PM me if you can help on this. Also maybe he could do a reduced round count?

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Kimber Custom

Ammunition will be available for sale at the event. I have some federal 325 packs for $25 and some cci mini mags for $10.

scuzzy

Thanks guys! You all rock. I also just received this email back a few minutes ago:

Kirby,

Thanks for the response.
ive also been in contact with the OR rep Griff Marshall. He responded sooner than you and we've been emailing back and forth. he has offered up some ammo, and I have since found some through a friend.  I was in a bit of a panic for a day or so and thought it was too late to cancel and get my money back. I think we are good now.

thanks,
jeremy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

AmbulanceDriver

Oh lordy...   What an absolute blast....   We had some great people out this weekend, instructors were actually able to get on the line and put rounds downrange even...     :---   ^:)^

Looking forward to the AAR, will post pictures there...    Thanks again to our wonderful hosts at DRRC!

skiddyfisk

An excellent event. The dude who grilled burgers Saturday deserves a mention, as well.

TheSquirrelPatrol

I had an awesome time.  This one seemed to be a bit heavier on instruction than the AQT grind, but I'm certainly not complaining, and I think everyone else liked the pacing.  I certainly got a lot of benefit from all the drills.  I still get tingles remembering stage 3 on my first AQT where everything I've been learning and practicing came together, and I was able to just lie there, throw rounds down range without really doing any conscious work, and watch the holes all cluster around the 5 rings.  The 'break' mid-afternoon on Sunday for KD instruction and shooting also worked great, I was really fading before that break, but that let me recover and shoot another good score afterwards.

Prescott

David,

I did write the POI (points of instruction) to be more instructional heavy, as I have have not been seeing the amount of improvement from the participants that I expect.   I am trying to find a good balance between adequate instruction and giving the participants enough time to practice the skills they are learning.   I think this POI was about what I was looking for, as I the instructional steps were reinforced with the shooting drills.   I would have liked to gotten in one more AQT, but AS national is really pushing the KD (known distance) component and want us to do the 100 yard exercise at every range that will support it.  Unfortunately, the KD component takes a big chunk of time on Sunday afternoon and limits the number of AQTs that can be shot.

I appreciate your feedback, and please continue to send it.   My POIs are constantly changing and I need the feedback to try and make the NW AS event the best in the country.

An AS event only requires that one AQT is shot during the event.   I know of other instructors that have only shot one AQT, if they feel the students have not grasped the marksmanship fundamentals.  One instructor will keep the students shooting at the canted sighter square target until 80% of the students are hitting

Quote from: TheSquirrelPatrol on June 10, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
I had an awesome time.  This one seemed to be a bit heavier on instruction than the AQT grind, but I'm certainly not complaining, and I think everyone else liked the pacing.  I certainly got a lot of benefit from all the drills.  I still get tingles remembering stage 3 on my first AQT where everything I've been learning and practicing came together, and I was able to just lie there, throw rounds down range without really doing any conscious work, and watch the holes all cluster around the 5 rings.  The 'break' mid-afternoon on Sunday for KD instruction and shooting also worked great, I was really fading before that break, but that let me recover and shoot another good score afterwards.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln