News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rose Hulman Student Seed '13 - Cloverdale, IN. - 04/27/13

Started by slim, April 28, 2013, 12:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

22 young men from all over the world came together to hear the tale of marksmanship playing a role in the founding of our country. These future leaders quickly grasped the fundamentals of field shooting, crunched all the numbers, and turned these loaner rifles into precision instruments of rifle craft.

The pizzas didn't stand a chance...

We finished off the day with "modern KD rifle familiarization" and rang steel at 100 yards. Huzzah! I had a lot of fun today and I hope to see these young men back at the range - with friends! - again soon.

"All you gotta do is not mess up."

Special thanks to the instructor crew that made this event happen. Folks sent rifles and ammo from afar to make sure this event turned out well. Hats off, yet again, Hoosiers. It's always my pleasure to serve with you fine Riflemen. With dedicated volunteers like you and the hard work of young men like those on the line today - we're going to save this country. Huzzah!

DaveD

Over half the group never shot a firearm before.

Yep, they got it!

When we turned those young men loose with the centerfires on the 100 yd,  they beat the daylights out of my Stage 1 sized AR500 steel.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

midridg

Thank you guys so much for putting on this second event for Rose. I know everyone in attendance had a blast and learned a great deal about our Heritage as rifleman.
We can't thank you all enough for both your time and money that you poured into this event.

I hope these past two years are a start to a great Rose-Hulman/ Appleseed yearly tradition. Thanks!

-midridg
Pay the Price of Success in Honest Effort.

Maynard

This was one of the most fun Saturdays I've had in a long time.  Rifles, history, and pizza?  Yes, please!  :~

It's been a while since I was in college, but to say these young men are intelligent is an understatement.  On one of our trips down to the target line after IMC instruction, I actually overheard a few fellows talking about using the "sum of squares" to find the absolute center of their groups.   ;D  Cracked me up.  I told them that an estimate was probably "good enough" in this case.

The additional instruction that we don't normally see at an Appleseed (formulas for using kinetic energy and inertia to calculate recoil effect, etc) was very interesting!!  Even if most of it was beyond my level of understanding.   ;D

GoldFish

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

spitfire51

Somebody ask for pics?  Well they're a little late but here they are:

Since so many of the youngsters had never handled a firearm, we changed things up a bit and started with instruction on the prone position

Then it was time to get down to business

DaveD goes over the finer points of prone with a shooter who had some fun making his nametag

So gentlemen, what are our targets telling us?

Rimshot educates these young men on the Regulars' retreat back to Boston, while teaching the fine differences between Liberty and Freedom

Then at the end of the day it was time for Introduction to Modern Sporting Rifles

Gotta love the wood furniture on an AR

And of course, all this took place under the very watchful eye of The Mohawk
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.