News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

American Insurgents, American Patriots by T.H. Breen

Started by Prof. C.J., February 28, 2013, 02:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. C.J.

I just wanted to review and recommend a book on the American Revolution that I read recently.  The book is American Insurgents, American Patriots:  The Revolution of the People by T.H. Breen, published in 2010.  I found it to be a very readable and interesting book that covered a lot of things of which even I (who have taught college history for seven years) was completely ignorant.  It was also a book that I found to be a wonderful complement to Paul Revere's Ride and other works about Lexington and Concord, because it really puts the events of April 19 in a broader context.

Here's the first paragraph of the book, to give you an idea of what it's about:

"Two years before the Declaration of Independence, a young, evangelical colonial population accomplished something truly extraordinary.  In small communities from New Hampshire to Georgia, it successfully challenged the authority of Great Britain, then the strongest empire in the world.  The vast majority of Americans have never heard the people's story.  Instead, we have concentrated attention on the lives of a small group of celebrated leaders.  Without the people, however, there would have been no independent nation.  Confident of their God-given rights, driven by anger against an imperial government that treated them like second-class subjects, American insurgents resisted parliamentary rule, first spontaneously, as loosely organized militants who purged the countryside of Crown officials, and then, increasingly after late-1774, as members of local committees of safety that became schools for revolution."

The book focuses mostly on 1774-75, and mostly (though not exclusively) on New England.  It really plays up the fact of the matter, which was that the common people were taking matters into their own hands and really leading themselves to a large degree, with relatively little 'leadership' from the Continental Congress.  As Breen sums it up on p. 284:  "We should be clear on this point:  popular resistance to Great Britain compelled the members of Congress to accept independence."  In other words, the people were leading themselves, and the Congress eventually followed them.  It's pretty obvious given that fighting broke out in April of 1775, and independence wasn't officially passed by Congress for fifteen months.

Breen looks into who these grassroots insurgents were, what motivated them, how they operated, and how British attempts to 'crack down' virtually always backfired and ended up strengthening support for the insurgents.  There's coverage of the committees of safety and the various ways they operated.  (There's some stuff in that section I found somewhat tedious, but overall the book was excellent.)  He also covers the organization of local militia independent from the governor's (and hence the Crown's) control, how boycotts were organized and enforced, and how relief efforts to Boston (when it was under blockade due to the Coercive Acts) mobilized activists from even distant colonies.  In the process, Breen illustrates how British officials simply ended up losing all aura of legitimacy amongst a large part of the population.  (Kind of reminds me of that famous John Adams quote we all know about how the real revolution was in the hearts and minds of the people, and was accomplished before the fighting started.)

Here's Breen on that point:  "We should make clear at the start exactly what we mean by the American Revolution.  The sine qua non of our Revolution - indeed, of any successful revolution - was the willingness of a sufficient number of people to take up arms against an unelected imperial government that no longer served the common good.  This moment occurred in American sometime in mid-1774.  If we cannot explain why reasonably contented colonists suddenly decided to resist the representatives of the king's government, with violence when necessary, then we will not fully understand the revolutionary character of our own Revolution."

American Insurgents, American Patriots is a touch more scholarly in tone than Paul Revere's Ride, but not by much.  For what it's worth, I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in making some additions to his or her Revolutionary history library.
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

FiremanBob

Thanks, I've added it to my Amazon cart. FWIW, it was only $6 in paperback.

FWIW, the independence movement was not completely spontaneous. Much of the inspiration and organization was originated by Sam Adams, whose writings about natural rights and constitutional government were widely distributed from 1764 on, and who personally initiated the boycott of English goods, the Continental Congress, and the committees of correspondence. Without his energy, political skill, and eloquence there would have been no revolution. For the whole story, "Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution" by Mark Puls, is a stirring read.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

BD

It is a great book.
I actually found it on CD at our local library and checked it out for a multi-state drive a couple of years ago.
The book covers a bunch of the resistance leading up to Lexington/Concord.
There are also a number of dangerous old men type stories to use at events.
Up the Republic

Nero

O0

I just finished my own $6 copy yesterday.  There's a lot of good stuff for 'intro to the strikes' and more detailed back story for Paul Revere's Ride.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

LindaFromAppleCreek

It's also on iTunes, for those who like e-books. $9.99.

Sounds like a good adjunct.
aka Mustang380gal

Pitmaster

Quote from: LindaFromAppleCreek on March 14, 2013, 09:47:43 AM
It's also on iTunes, for those who like e-books. $9.99.

Sounds like a good adjunct.

As well as Nook and probably Kindle. I have it on Nook
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

fisherdawg

I just finished a copy I checked out of the Anchorage library.  Excellent background on how the mindset of the Patriots came about. Highly recommended.  I see used copies on Alibris for as little as $0.99 not including S&H, of course.
Can any recommend some books on Samual Adams?
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Prof. C.J.

Fisherdawg:

On Sam Adams books, I honestly haven't read one that I really loved.  Maybe there's one out there that I'm unfamiliar with that's top-notch, but all the ones I've personally read have been pretty good at best.

A recently published book along these lines (it's not exclusively focused on S. Adams, but on the Sons of Liberty) that I have not read yet (it's on my list, which is about a mile long) is a book called Desperate Sons:  Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, John Hancock, and the Secret Band of Radicals Who Led the Colonies to War.  Based on the title alone it sounds great, and the reviews I've seen of it so far look pretty good.  I'll probably be reading it in the near future.  I'll be sure to post about it after I do.

fisherdawg

Hey Prof. C.J.,
Please let know what think about that book.  I really want to learn more about the Sons of Liberty.
Thanks,
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Prof. C.J.

Will do!  I actually have Desperate Sons on the way from Amazon right now.