News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Homeschool Picnic Libertyseed - updated with pictures!

Started by Bullet, April 05, 2013, 03:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullet

Hey folks! I'm trying out a new idea in a few weeks and thought I'd share it with you in case you want to try something similar.

A friend of mine has invited a bunch of local homeschool families over for a few hours on April 19. We're planning to do an audience participation version of the 3 Strikes, broken up by a picnic lunch and info about Appleseed shoots so they can all come out to the next one.

I'm available in the Central Texas area for other groups (homeschool or not) who want to do a LibertySeed picnic. If you're somewhere else, tell us where and we'll find a local instructor!

Fellow instructors (IIT 4 and up), I encourage you to contact any homeschool families you know and ask them if they'd like you to come to their backyard to do a presentation. Or meet at a park! Learning history and waking up the nation can be a fun social event. =)
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Charles McKinley

that is a great idea.  working with the people ahead of time or just having them read off of cards?
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Bullet

Quote from: Stand on April 12, 2013, 08:23:06 PM
that is a great idea.  working with the people ahead of time or just having them read off of cards?

Neither, actually. :)

For the first strike, we divided the audience into two groups - the colonials and the Regulars. Since we had two instructors, I told the colonials' side and the other instructor did the Regulars'. We tried to help the groups imagine this was actually happening to them, 238 years ago.

For the second and third strikes, we actually took volunteers to come stand in front and pretend to be different groups or individuals while we talked about them (Reuben Brown, minutemen/militia/Alarm List, Isaac Davis, grenadiers guarding the bridge, troops in town, Percy, etc.).
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Bullet

The picnic was lots of fun - 45 people came out and they were really a great group! Can't wait to do this again with another group.

Take a look at the photo album here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.371525856293770.1073741826.309701659142857&type=1&l=c2c59e3d91

Here are a few photos from that album....

Some of the audience members:

Instructors:

Firearms safety presentation with AR & 10/22:

dragit

Great job Bullet and Didactic.  It would take a year of Appleseeds to equal that number of kids in one setting for most shoots.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer