News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A twist on dryfiring

Started by Drfury, March 24, 2013, 05:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drfury

With ammo being expensive as it is, ill bet there are a lot of folks out there who are doing more dry firing than normal.
I was inspired by the demo rifle stock I have seen at the appleseed events I have been to that is used to show breathing control.
So I put my very cheap boresighting kit (which, will get you on paper, but it wont have you zeroed) and set up a AQT in my basement.
Then, I put my Ipod touch next to the target, started to record video and got into position. Then, I watched the playback to see if I jerked the trigger or
if there was any excessive movement with pulling the trigger. It was just too neat not to share.

http://youtu.be/y60MyWJjrgo
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

RODGE

I just watched your vid.  That's a cool idea.  Great practice for many reasons.  And you can take that mental image at the trigger break point.   Thanks
What we allow is what will continue!

What have you done for LIBERTY today?

Green Bean

I would be afraid it would cause me to focus on the laser and not my front sight.  Could form a bad habit of watching the target. 

Drfury

Good point, you might start to use the dot as a crutch, but, I positioned the dot so it sits at the tip of my front sight and I am still following the six steps to firing a shot. Having the video on hand will give you a no BS result to review.
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Charles McKinley

The inexpensive lasers at wally world ~$40 come with a pressure switch that you could put on your trigger.  The dot would only show up on the squeeze.  With your video recording a cheaper version of a product the NRA was advertising in a recent instructor email.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery