News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wind Reading Video

Started by jmdavis, March 18, 2013, 01:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

For those interested in some discussion and coaching on Wind Reading, here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j4qoGrj0UU

Wind and mirage.  Shooting the Constant. If you make it a repeatable process, you will have repeatable results. If you want to shoot KD and long distance you need to learn this stuff. Once you are exposed to it, you need to practice it whenever you can.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

jmdavis

After 30 or so KD's at Appleseeds, bootcamps, and KD events, one of the issues that I have found is that shooters really don't understand wind.

While it's not much of a factor with an M1 or AR out to 400 yards. A 10 mile an hour FULL VALUE wind with a 62 gr M855 at 400 yards will move your point of impact 5.1 MOA. That is over 21 inches and will put you completely off the target of you don't adjust your sights. With a 4 MOA group if you are pushed 5.1 MOA by a full value wind half your shots may be off the target even if you held on the upwind side of the target. And that's with a popup or man-sized silhouette (19-21 inches in width). 

Can you tell a 10 mph wind? Do you know how many windage clicks of your rifle equal 5.1 MOA? Do you know the direction your windage moves without looking at the knob?

Want to really test your wind reading. Take that 10/22 and shoot at targets 200 yards away. This distance approximates a .308 at 1000 yards (based on drop and windage effects). A few weekends of careful shooting, logging data, and analysis can really help you improve your ability to read and react to wind. The difference between a 100m zero and a 200 yard elevation zero is around 21 MOA.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

carlb

Pretty good video. Good speaker.
"He who sacrifices essential liberty for temporary safety deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams
"One hundred rounds do not constitute fire power. One hit constitutes fire power." - General Merritt Edson, U.S. Marine Corps