News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HELP Moving to Illinois (FOID)

Started by Mauser, March 15, 2013, 03:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauser

I NEED HELP!!  I am generally stupefied by this and am asking for some help so i dont wind up on the wrong side of the law. 
At the moment it looks like I'm going to be moving to Illinois (North of Chicago), and after a bit of research it seems that Illinois requires a new resident to obtain a FOID (Firearm Owner Identification Card) within 60 days of obtaining a IL Driver's License or State ID (which you must have to get a FOID Card) to legally own firearms or ammunition in the state of Illinois.  (This 2nd ammendment right will apparently cost me $10 BTW).  As if that is not bad enough, I was informed by the State Police (yep, I called) that it is taking in excess of 60 days AFTER THE CHECK IS CASHED to process FOID applications currently.  So maybe someone can help me with this.... That would mean that everybody that moves to Illinois with firearms and goes through the required process without skipping any time at all would still illegally be in possession of firearms until the FOID card arrives at your mailing address.
So what can be done so i'm not violating any laws by bringing my guns with me when i move up to "GULP".. Illinois? :sos:

Edheler

The only answer may be to store your firearms out of state until you have jumped through all of the hoops they have set up.

Transform

Quote from: Mauser on March 15, 2013, 03:00:31 PM
So maybe someone can help me with this…. That would mean that everybody that moves to Illinois with firearms and goes through the required process without skipping any time at all would still illegally be in possession of firearms until the FOID card arrives at your mailing address.

Your logic is correct.

So what can be done so i'm not violating any laws by bringing my guns with me when i move up to "GULP".. Illinois?

I am NOT an Illinois resident, but logically, your choices are pretty simple:
1. Don't move to Illinois, find another opportunity.
2. Sell your firearms and learn to live without them until you get your FOID.
(Consider this practice for when they eventually take away your FOID card.)
3. Store your firearms with family until you get your FOID card.
4. Maintain your current residence for a couple of months while the paperwork is in process, then return to collect your firearms from your old residence after you get your card. (a.k.a. "very expensive storage")
5. Find an Illinois FFL who is willing to receive, and store, your firearms until you get your FOID, then transfer them back to you. (If you try this, make absolutely sure you know what will happen to them if something goes wrong and you don't get your FOID!)
6. Violate the law and don't get caught. (Not recommended!)
7. Violate the law and become a test case. (Not recommended!)

As if that is not bad enough, I was informed by the State Police (yep, I called)

Try calling them again and asking this specific question. Then, if you get a satisfactory answer, write them a letter asking the SAME question, so you can get that answer in writing.

If you are going to move to Illinois, you should strongly consider finding a firearms lawyer in advance, and let them help you with this situation, rather than seeking general advice. So perhaps a better question to ask would be "Can anyone in the North of Chicago area recommend a good firearms lawyer?"

P.S. I agree with Edheler's response.

Fred

Wow! You guys are brutal! (Meant in a friendly way!)

Mauser, google "Illinois State Rifle Assoc" and see if they have a number you can call for advice.

Plus, there are any number of Appleseeders in IL who'd no doubt be glad to help you with info, finding out answers, etc.

Give 'em time to respond to your post...

The locals are comfortable (most of 'em) with the FOID. Once you get one, it's not an inconvenience or problem, having to have one. I don't like the idea of "gov permission" to exercise a constitutional right any more than anyone else, and it is likely unconstitutional, but so far I guess no one's come up with the millions it would take to take up to the Sup Ct.

"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

2 clicks low

First, welcome to Illinois where our Govenors personaly make your license plates.

There is a grace period for people moving in. Get your DL and send in your FOID application via Express Mail as you want a tracking number. The law is that they have to get the card to you in 30 days of reciept (not sixty days after cashing your check) so keep that tracking info. They can not prosecute you for the state police being unable to comply with the law.

Beyound that don't worry about it. You won't be able to buy a gun or ammo until you get the card, but it should be ok as there are few guns and no ammo available. I have had a FOID since 74 and outside of buying a gun or ammo and a range or two (talk to them they will let you shoot) I have never been asked for it.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Transform

Quote from: Fred on March 15, 2013, 04:00:16 PM
    Wow! You guys are brutal!

Yep. But so are those who write the laws.

Question: Can I qualify as a "Bitter Clinger" even if I'm not religious?

Edheler

Quote from: Transform on March 15, 2013, 04:34:02 PM
Question: Can I qualify as a "Bitter Clinger" even if I'm not religious?

I think you have to post a video of your bonafides by impersonating Charlton Heston to get that waiver. ;)

Transform

Oh well. Guess I'll just be brutal then, but it's hard to be brutal without being bitter.

Sorry for the thread hijack Mauser. Back to helping you move to the Inland Empire.

Mutti

ISRA (I find them to be quick to answer): http://isra.org/about/contact.shtml Telephone:      815 635-3198

Also consider asking over @ Illinois Carry.  illinoiscarry.com

There is a FOID response time # you can call to find out status. Looks as if FOIDs are running about 67 days. My last one took 7 weeks, my husbands took 189 days. I nagged them - he didn't  ;D

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Pkvoss

Where are you move to in N. IL? I live in Lake county. Will you attend the Appleseed on April 6-7?
Pkvoss@yahoo.com

olefido

One thing until you get your FOID card. A lot of gun stores, especially the large retailers, will want to see your FOID before you can even handle a firearm you are thinking about buying.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Kelso

Make sure you apply for the FOID right away. As an out-of-stater (another state DL and car tags), as long as you can legally own a firearm in your current state, you won't have trouble transporting your guns to Illinois if the guns are unloaded, cased and in the trunk (http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm).  I would leave the guns and ammo stored safely in the house until you get the FOID card.  You don't want to be driving around with guns and ammo without one after you move here.  @&)

I was going to suggest you check out my house because we listed it with a realtor last Saturday, but we already have two offers and will accept one of them;  looks like we will be looking to move out of Illinois by year's end.  O0
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
― Samuel Adams

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders."
― Samuel Adams

Mauser

Quote from: Fred on March 15, 2013, 04:00:16 PM

Wow! You guys are brutal! (Meant in a friendly way!)

Mauser, google "Illinois State Rifle Assoc" and see if they have a number you can call for advice.

Plus, there are any number of Appleseeders in IL who'd no doubt be glad to help you with info, finding out answers, etc.

Give 'em time to respond to your post...

The locals are comfortable (most of 'em) with the FOID. Once you get one, it's not an inconvenience or problem, having to have one. I don't like the idea of "gov permission" to exercise a constitutional right any more than anyone else, and it is likely unconstitutional, but so far I guess no one's come up with the millions it would take to take up to the Sup Ct.

Fred,

Thank you for the advice and I did contact them.  They did not have an answer for me and gave me a number to call for the Illinois State Police that just went to an answering machine.  Currently I'm awaiting a call back.  However, the last time I spoke with the Illinois State Police I was told to "keep the guns locked up in my house and its not like we are going to come beating down your door for them" until I get my FOID Card..  I'm not really comfortable with that at all.  So it seems that at the moment there is no good answer on how to make this go yet.

Cheers,
Mauser

Mauser

Ok so I called the State Police once again to get the statement in writing and after a waiting period it just goes to a recording and tells you to call back later and hangs up..... Nice work Illinois.. 

Mutti

QuoteISRA (I find them to be quick to answer): http://isra.org/about/contact.shtml Telephone:      815 635-3198

Illinois State Rifle Association
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Mauser

Quote from: Mutti on March 18, 2013, 05:57:20 PM
QuoteISRA (I find them to be quick to answer): http://isra.org/about/contact.shtml Telephone:      815 635-3198

Called them and they gave me the number for the State Police, which only an answering machine answers to leave your number for a call back.  I have called it and left messaged with no return call.  So i'm thinking that this is a dead end.

Prairie Eagle

The only further advice I would give you is the same I give to other people in Illinois who are awaiting FOID cards. Do not waste your time on the normal ISP number call- Office of Governmental Affairs 217-782-0132. They will answer the phone.

Also I would find out who your state representative and state senator will be in the new location. Use it as a chance to introduce yourself, and while you are at it, let them know your {future}constituent thoughts on the legislation (concealed carry, magazine bans, firearm bans) moving through our legislature. You can help us make Illinois a better place even before you get here!

Mutti

Quote from: Mauser on March 20, 2013, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: Mutti on March 18, 2013, 05:57:20 PM

Called them and they gave me the number for the State Police, which only an answering machine answers to leave your number for a call back.  I have called it and left messaged with no return call.  So i'm thinking that this is a dead end.

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Think I'll give them a call and ask if the SOP can be changed to be more helpful.
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Mauser

Ha HA!!!  Awesome news!  ^:)^ **) ;D My company is opening a new facility here in Wichita and now I don't have to make the move to Chicago.  I thank you all for your help in getting this moving, and hopefully it will aid others in the same boat, but in my specific case I will be able to stay and not have to deal with the red tape.  I have always liked dealing with the Appleseed crew and this is no exception to that.  Thank you all greatly again and I hope to see some of you at the range someday. (my relatives and my wife's relatives Live in Lake Co. )

Absolute Best Regards to all,
Mauser