News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

MD/NoVa Libertyseeds!

Started by BeSwift, March 12, 2013, 10:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSwift

At last weeks instructors meeting/fun shoot, a hot topic was the pressing need to get Libertyseeds going in our neck of the woods.. While we all agree that teaching marksmanship is rewarding, I also think we all see the very real need to keep getting our message out, expanding outside of the traditional "shooting" community in order to expand our audience. After all, it's about urgency and growth.. so heck.. let do this!!!  I would like to see the entire MD cadre involved with setting up and holding Libertyseeds this year, all around area! This is something we all can (or soon will be) able to do!

Our first Libertyseed will be held at Anne Arundel Fish and Game Assc, Friday April 12, from 7-9PM. This will be kind of a dry run, for other future events.  It will be fun and a good chance to learn what works and where we can improve, having the benefits of a classroom type environment. Hope to see you there!

BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Pain Killer

Be Swift, I thought you might appreciate this quote from another thread. This simple idea was genius in my opinion. This might work out for MD as well.

PK

Quote from: Whippet on March 12, 2013, 09:55:16 PM
This worked for me and maybe it will help others book a Libertyseed too.

If you have children, (With all children...LOAD!) and cruse on over to your local library and send them off to find something of interest to them. In my case, my three year old was using blocks to play Porcine Architect & Avian Demolition Expert (Angry Birds) and I struck up the following conversation with the librarian.

Me "Are we having fun yet?"  ;D
Her "It looks like it."

Me "What does the library have planned to celebrate Patriot's Day?"
Her "A couple of videos and some coloring books"

Me "My son and I just started volunteering with a nonprofit group that does FREE history shows and stuff. I bet they would love to put one one for us (local folks)".
Her "FREE? What do they talk about?"

Me "My favorite is the story about Lexington, Concord and the 'shot heard around the World' and it is about that time of the year."
Her "What do they do?"

Me "Some of these folks are FANTASTIC story tellers. I love one they tell about this old man named Samuel Whittemore. (Insert DOM here)...phone book is full of pages of Whittemores."
Her "[laughing] How do we book them?"

Me "Well, what days are open during the week of April 19th? I can contact the coordinator and see if any if those dates are available and set it up for you. Unless you are bored and want to set it up?  ;)"
Her "How about Monday April 15th?"

Make it low key and have fun, these forks are ALWAYS looking for programs and the word FREE fits within their budgets. When you tell them that you can held set everything up for them...BINGO

I hope this helps someone....

Long live the Republic -:)
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Pain Killer

"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison