News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kemmerer Wyo July 27

Started by risky buisness, August 05, 2008, 03:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

risky buisness

This Boot Camp really rocked, we started with 3 fellas with practically zip experience, as there home countrys are Not firearms friendly, we were tasked with not only aquainting them with shooting knolowdge but general info that most of us take for granted, as all spoke English reasonably well, communications were not very difficult. We drilled these guys hard, and the results were spectacular, most of the same quirks that we see in Appleseeds were present but worked out very early. We origonally had 5 for this boot camp but an injury precluded one guys attendance and his shooting partner wouldnt go without him so we had a great chance to very much personalize the instruction with the students we had. I Pmed Fred in regards to the long range D targets, we did not have a ready supply of them, and for those of you holding a long range component I suggest that you start getting them run down in advance, as I understand it the supply is low or nill.
One area we need to concentrate on more fully is IMC, for some folks it's a difficult concept and perhaps a difficult one to teach with only a little background with it. We remidied this somewhat at the Appleseed by making sure that one of the instructors was with the student instructor and had them go over IMC when ever the chance was avaliable so time will tell on that one
I will be reluctant to do another Boot Camp here in Wyoming in August, the conditions were really poor, huge heat, really windy and VERY dry, this made the learning experience some what difficult and perhaps from a medical standpoint iffy, so when you plan yours (I know you can't predict the weather) try  a time when historically it's not so brutal.
As a suggestion: next time I do one of these, I will try to make contact with the students before hand to discuss some pertinate items, like rifle choice, ammunition factors( bringing Federal when the rifle actually likes Remmington) sling mounting, sights etc, to make it more enjoyable for everyone and to save time for instruction rather than spend it on gunsmithing a students rifle
All in all this Boot Camp was in my estimation a huge success (we even got one of our practice 'pre Appleseed  shooters to qualify) largely through the efforts of the students who recognised the errors the young lady was making as errors they had made earlier and took the appropriate steps to correct, just like a 'regular instructor would. Thanx for your time---risky
Risky Buisness, Rifleman and worlds fastest single shot M1 Garand operator

Old Dog

That's an issue (always) isn't it.  Information discussed here on the forum multiple times (like what kind of .22 ammo is best - and we all know that each rifle will "pick" what works best if you try out several types) just doesn't get out to most folks prior to attending an Appleseed or RBC.

There's so much info available here.  Lists on what to bring, lists on how to use it, lists on.....  You name it.

Glad things went well.  Next is the hot/humid but fun!! Ramseur RBC in about 3 weeks.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

risky buisness

Yea 14 I'm with ya there on the list thing, I by no means would attempt to contact sign ups for an Appleseed, just a boot camp where the numbers are low enough to make it doable people "should" be with it enough to look for that info but sadly I fin rarely do.
Risky Buisness, Rifleman and worlds fastest single shot M1 Garand operator