News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kool Aid's Travelogue: LA to Castle Rock WA or What am I getting myself into??

Started by kool aid, August 02, 2008, 11:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kool aid

Trying to economize, I packed the micro econo car with the minimum gear kit today to see how it would do on a little shake down cruise. A fine excuse to make the drive out to the RWVA-West range and headquarters to have a sit down with Brother Bob 210 & Hollywood Marine to receive some last minute guidance and/or moral support. Also, Bob seems to have laid his hands on an Argentinian Brown Bess in 75 cal, and he donated some Musket balls as visual aids for the Washington Bretheren.

If you have never eyeballed one of those things and held it in your hand, when you do the thought of standing in front of a line of redcoats launching those things at you makes one have a sphincter clenching appriciation for what Col Parker and Captain Davis' men signed up for. And when you see one of those things go off!

Zooks! And 'Gosh all fish hooks'

Anyway, back to the travelogue......

Upon getting home, I smelled the distinct oder of smoking break pads... Maybe 1200 miles in the tercel is not prudent.

So the heavy hauler it is.

Figure I might as well take the lux route as long as I am going to follow in the foot steps of The Guy and become one of those "traveling vast trackless wastes in the service of my countrymen" kind of apple seed red/green hat fellows.

Fred, bless his heart, got the shoot box to me a week ahead of schedual so I could put together PACKETS for the admin portion of the festivities, and I have laid off the leafy green veggies in prepation for the iron rich water reported to be at the site. Threw in a little something extra for the Washingtonian contingient as well.....

Now, for those of you who have not been keeping current with the 'california rockers', there is palpable excitment in the ether of cyberspace that is a pale shadow of what we are feeing here in california in meat space.

So- Long day at work Monday, a extra super duper jumbo coffee, a half a tank of gas and some dark glasses, and.....

Let the cross pollination begin!

Stay tuned, sports fans......

Brother Kool Aid out
Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

colonial shooter

Now Kool-aid, we all know that the Guy is your Hero :D. You can't wait to put that many miles into this program. See you when you finally get to WY. Good travels brother
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Old Dog

There was a show on the history channel about infantry rifle development.

The old Revolutionary War shoulder arms (about 75 caliber) shot into a watermelon resulted in a shattered watermelon with chunks blown out and lengthwise splits.

An 8mm Mauser (at the same distance) merely put two holes (entry and exit) inthe watermelon.

Believe I'd rather be shot with the FMJ modern slugs.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Wheeler44

Two men stand on the sacred soil of the Washington State DAR. They take the prone position.  One mounts binoculars the other grabs a handful of ammo. He drops a round. As he reaches over to pick it up he feels a slight tremor. He puts his ear to the ground and holds up one hand, signaling to his companion. "You hear that?" he says as holds motionless. "Sounds like Brother kool aid is fixin' to leave on his way up here".  The other replies "your one minute preparation period has ended, you may now load and make ready"

"hey wait a minute"

"all ready on the left"

"there ain't nobody on the left, give me a second"
"all ready on the right"
"hey wait a minute"
"FIRE"

"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Wade

Yea I just don't know about the that one with no excuse's on the fireing line  ::) ,,,,the Shooter made a Rifleman score tho With a single shot Rifle even.

Your not here yet koolaid ?
You may miss seeing my turo charged Tonka toy on steroid's, Great fun play in the dirt dig up a Rifle Range.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

funfaler

I see the day, that like "Mary Kay", after your "50" missions and perhaps a specified number of confirmed "Rifleman" under one's belt, that Appleseed will allow you to buy an "Apple Red" sub-compact hybrid vehicle to travel to shoots in.  All the seats will be taken out to make room for Appleseed gear and it will come complete with a pop up tent that deploys with the hatch-back.......truly a traveling Appleseed Show.

Just remember the mantra of Appleseed....'Simple and precise'....in our instruction and in your travel  ;) ;D :o

Enjoy

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Fred

QuoteAs a British officer reports, beyond 125m it was simply too inaccurate and he was willing to claim without doubt that no man was killed with a musket at 200m.

I think the quote had to do with "hit by a round that was aimed at him" - in other words, you'd be safe at 200m, if someone aimed at you - you were not safe from the "to whom it may concern" rounds that were not specifically aimed at you.

A minor point, maybe...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

kool aid

Oh dear------
Never underestimate life's ability to pile it on right when you need to keep you wits about you to leave for a semi major road trip...

The trip is certainly major, as I see it, because it is one of the first 'west coast link ups'. We have the california contingient who is gathering momentum going to see the Washington DAR for the inaugural kick-off IBC/Apple Seed.

28 Pre Reg!
Gosh all fish hooks, are we gonna have to run relays? Not to worry- we are trained professionals. Bring MORE!

Soooooooo- better be getting down the road. I have to go pick up my California Rocker so's to represent. Got the wireless modem to give updates from the road. Oooo-rah!

Apple Seed Nationwide Tour, Kool Aid contingient.

Leaving 20:20 PDT/ 04:20 Zulu

Kool Aid out
See you guys in the funny papers
Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

Junior Birdman

Even now, Birdman converges on Washington, even as Kool closes in.

Tomorrow brings the dawning of a new day in the PNW. 

The whispers increasing: "They're making their own out there". "Growing their own!" 

And as the nation looks on, Washington shows the way of the future.

Nothing fancy. Just shouldering the load, building their own ranges, making their own instructors, getting the job done.

From a favorite suthrun saying: "Hey y'all, watch this!"   JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

SavageShootr

Quote from: Junior Birdman on August 05, 2008, 03:47:43 PM
  Even now, Birdman converges on Washington, even as Kool closes in.
Hey Guys,

Crank them instructors out up there, it looks like WA. will be putting them to good use.   ;D ;D

~SS

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

kool aid

An Appleseed HaiKu

Red Hat flys by night
Issac Davis his co-pilot
echos of hoofbeats

Dawn broke in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Willows California, well north of the urban mess that is Sacramento.

First leg objective met: get out of dodge.
Your intrepid author was putting his head ON the pillow and not taking it off. Nice run up the central valley of california during the cool. It was even necessary to use a blanket to sleep! Wal-Mart is rumored to have a non-harassment rule of RV'rs who park to take a snooze. Works for grubby machinists in parcel vans as well I guess....

Ahhh yes- Wal-Mart, official supply depot of the RWVA and Kool Aid's home away from home. Why do I even have a house? Oh yeah- place to keep the ammo and target backers.....

Anyway......

Next thing you know, awaken from a dream of being in a sauna- oh wait, not a dream. Conveyance is parked in the direct sun, and being white is of no appreciable help. Not yet noon- great! That's plenty of sleep. No problem. Let's drive some MORE! and MORE!!!!.

Present meat space location: Grants Pants, OR - Addella's Diner.

Sassy hostess making me laugh. Quite charming she is. Must be the faint echo of a very large tuning fork. Yes, this is one of those 'in' jokes we have in california- believe me you don't want me to explain..... And if you do, you might hear it at lunch on the sunday of an appleseed. After 'dangerous old men'. Part of a discussion that includes Star Wars, Samari Movies, and stories of my Step Father (god bless him for all eternity)

But, back to the waitress.....
I write for her a haiku. I show it to her

Then I have to explain that haiku is a form of Nipponise poetry of three lines, wherein the first and third are of five syllables and the middle one has seven.

She wants a copy......I write it out for her.

So this is what I wrote for her:

A sassy hostess
plys me with coffee and charm
whack on my sholder

Notice that the zip is usually found in the final line- either ironical or trancendent.......

She wants a copy......I write it out for her.

Even Riflemen have their own Haiku:

This is my rifle
there are many like it but
this rifle is mine

Guess I better get goin'. Having too much fun here.

Wheeler44

Thirty one sign up
One red hat drives through the night
what's that?.....Appleseed
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

LayloPro

Hmmmm, maybe we'll have to start doing poetry readings during the lunch break instead of history, eh?  :D :D ::)
After all, we -are- still on the Left Coast.......
"Honey, please pass me some more granola........." ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

funfaler

Quote from: Wheeler44 on August 06, 2008, 01:37:08 AM
Thirty one sign up
One red hat drives through the night
what's that?.....Appleseed

Ain't much like it in modern America.....pity, but great to be part of it!  America on track....Appleseed.....just feels right.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

kool aid

LayloPro

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Wade

Hey All
Opps I know my plan was to make shootting lanes for 25  but you know these darned Appleseed engineers  we kinda miss counted and did not  get  the 25 we where shooting for ,,,so will only 35 shooting lanes do of a generouse 4 ft wide each ::) :o :D.

Wade and  sw Washington corps of engineer's staff
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Grandson of Liberty

Kool Aid, headin' north
knowing what he is about.
Ready Castle Rock?
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

LayloPro

Wade,

that is the proper use of a good "Appleseed tape measure" that you've got there......Rock on, Brother!! 8) 8) ;D

Show 'em how to get 'er done...... ;D ;D :D ;)

Wheeler44

................................ ???

didactic

This has got to be a first.  A haiku contest on a shooting-related forum.

Anybody shoot any more?
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Wade

Saw a spot
Rented a machine
Dug with machine
Range built
Time to shoot
WooF

Wade
WOOF!

Wheeler44

LayloPro

Dangerous???  Only for those in -front- of the muzzle...... :o ;D
That's why the first rule of safety is just that....the first rule......
Don't get me started on the Irish...... :-\ ::)

Wade

Hey all

About 30 shooters,,,,10 Made Rifleman  One with a 210 ! he must have held out it was at the end of the day and we all where just abit to Tired to carry him to the river to trow him in, We Also got alot more IIT's ,,,IMO They KNOW Very Well What They Are About,These Men I had only met before online and they As Soon as they Earned Rifleman  Stepped upto Plate and jumped Right in I Thank Them Very Much
and look forward to working with them again.
Thank You Koolaid Wheeler44 Artandsciance.
And Thank you to All who Came ,,

To Tired to write more been abit busy  will Write on How to build a Rifle Range later as Fred has asked me to do so ,,,A word on that Now Teamwork ,don't ask your self can I do it ? Ask  yourself How can I do it .

A very Tired Wade signing off for the night  8)
WOOF!

MEANTREE

My first Appleseed. What a heck of an experience. Looking forward to making the Instructor level and beyond. Thank you Wade, Wheeler44, Artandscience and Kool Aid for this great experience and new friends. I learned alot and taught a little. See you very soon hoprefully!!! ;D

"There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit."
Napoleon Bonaparte

LayloPro

Wade,
you done good, buddy.....you are one of the few I've met that really puts it all out there to get 'er done......
Personally, I'm proud to serve alongside you...... :) :)

See you on the line, we will be crossing paths at some time soon!
And congratulations on those new Riflemen & IIT's!!! ;D ;D 8)

You guys rock!!!! 8) 8) 8) :)

KA, we'll be talking to you soon enough  .....have a safe drive back home, ok? Drive carefully.....& beware buxom hostesses.....could be trouble, ya know?? ::) :o :D

artandscience

I cannot say enough about Wade (and his son-in-law's work) to transform a small, grassy hollow into a dedicated Appleseed range.

It's a great range (and I've been to a few..) and it was a tremendous amount of earth moving in a short period of time.

When we did our post-mortem (what's the official Appleseed term?) after the weekend with Kool Aid, my biggest positive was
how we went from being four guys who barely knew each other to a really smooth team of seven (shoot boss, three new instructors
and three new IITs) by the end of the weekend.

I build teams for a living and this was almost magical - a common purpose, a willingness and energy to support each other, and a hell of a lot of hard work made it a great success (IMO).

I'm really looking forward to the next Appleseed with my guys!!

cheers, artandscience

ps. I know we cannot keep him, but can we get Kool Aid back some more? He rocked! JB, too!
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

Benjamin Franklin

LayloPro

Well, A&S,

You'll have to ask him really nice......but KA is a "free spirit", & likes it when people really like his work......and don't take pictures of him in embarrassing moments.... :D :D :D (Oh!! I'm sorry!! Did I have some of those??!!??!! :D :D) ;D

JB, simply put, is one of our National treasures.....well worth the time spent with him to catch the end of the fire hose!~! 8) 8)

Imagine, a concept team.....united around a common goal & plan.........instant unification.......bet you wish your job went this easy, eh?? :D ;D 8)

Wade has proven beyond any doubt, that he is a man who knows what he is about very well, and follows thru with the action to make it fact.....again, very impressive!! 8) 8) 8)
And, he has the correct (AS) tape measure to be used on these projects!! ;D :D ;D

Yeah, we have the same problem here, after the benediction, nobody wants to leave.....even with the guns put away, & the targets down, we all end up chasing the sun down with each other......(Don't know about the other guys, but my lovely gets a tad annoyed with no cell service because Mt AS blocks the tower.....'course, that is probably a good thing too!)
Like-minded men & women with a common goal & vision,  when they thought no one else cared, or was interested....... :'(

We're looking forward to your next AS as well, so we can see how much better things have grown with practice......  :o 8) ;D

Take care now, & let us know if there's any way we can help each other out on this, fair enough?
TTYS
Laylopro

colycat

Sounds like another great AS.  Watching you all from Wisconsin.

ColyCat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine