News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texans from Texas Needed for The Upcoming Texas NRA Convention in Texas

Started by Scout, February 27, 2013, 12:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

Speaking of the Texas NRA Convention in Texas, I am looking for Texas folks to head down there with me to represent The Texas Appleseed Program. If you are interested in representing Texas, give me a call at 254-217-1325. I believe we can do a lot of good as Texans representing our state of Texas by having a good group of Texans attending the Texas NRA Convention, in Texas. We have sponsors now and a huge custom banner and a lot of stuff to give away as well as DVDs and custom Appleseed jackets, custom Appleseed patches, and a lot more for folks. Thanks Guys, looking forward to seeing everyone there!

PS- Did anyone see the Shooting Gallery episode of Appleseed filmed by Michael Bane, seen by millions?  ;) ;D :) ::) :-X :-\ :'( **) &) ^:)^
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Pistolgrip

Hey Scout, I would like to get in on this event...Pistolgrip    :cool2:
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Transform

Scout, would you please be more clear . . . which state will this NRA Convention be held in?

K98Al

Scout - to be clear: Convention being held in Baja, Oklahoma, correct?
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

Scout

I guess it was no use being subtle, you guys saw right through it  ;) ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

CaptG

I'm in. I'm not working the 2nd or 3rd. Let me check with the CO to see how much time she'll let me commit to. I'll call ASAP.
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

glocktopus

Scout-

It just so happens that I live in Houston.  I'd love to come help out!

-Amber

Scout

Excellent! We should have around 15-20 folks who can attend and represent Texas, but we can always use more.We will be working to establish connections with companies represented at the convention.
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

I'm in - the only Appleseed Red Hat with a Houston, TX zip code.  ;)

I feel silly - I emailed Scout about this about an hour ago and then see this thread.

Since I live in Houston I don't know what hotels to recommend, but I'll be happy to say "ghetto" or "non-ghetto" if you give me the address.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Fred

Listen up, boys and girls!

Even as Scout is compiling the list of Texas volunteers for this convention, we need you to PM our official "Coordinator of all Things Volunteer at the Convention" - which is Ratchett - and let her know when you will be there, how long you can stay, and if you have a place to stay, or will we need to find a space for you.

If you have special social skills at persuading people, such as salesman, preacher, teacher, cop, and otherwise, let her know, so we can put you in the right slot at this event.

We hope to be able to put up at least some folks with local volunteers, so if you are a local volunteer in the Houston area, and willing to let burly, unwashed fellow Texan ASers crash for a night or two, please let Scout and Ratchett know. Hopefully, you can supply Texas-size flapjacks in the AM, so they show up well-fed, contented, and full of energy for the next day's labor at the convention.

We especially need female volunteers willing to proselytize the crowds walking around in the convention and steer them to the AS booth.

If you can attend the convention all three days, so much the better. We especially want you. There will be time off for you to visit the booths and experience the convention, too.

As the busiest days of the convention are likely gonna be Friday and Sat, those are the days we would like to have the booth especially well-manned.

We'd also like a few vols willing to work on the "industry partnership team" which will call on exhibitors and promote AS to them. If you consider yourself a good prospect to join that team, please PM Brown.

This event was highly productive for AS last year (witness the Marlin LTR), and because we'll be building on experience and contacts from last year, I expect this year to be even more productive for the program.

This will also be a great opportunity to meet and bond with not only your fellow TX ASers like Scout and myself, but others in the program who you may know only as "names".

I look forward to seeing you at this event.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

technoronin

Quote from: Fred on April 09, 2013, 07:58:17 AM

Listen up, boys and girls!

Even as Scout is compiling the list of Texas volunteers for this convention, we need you to PM our official "Coordinator of all Things Volunteer at the Convention" - which is Ratchett - and let her know when you will be there, how long you can stay, and if you have a place to stay, or will we need to find a space for you.

I posted something several months ago asking about helping out at the NRA convention and received a rousing lack of interest, so I haven't made any plans to go.

Fred

Quote from: technoronin on April 09, 2013, 09:58:16 AM
I posted something several months ago asking about helping out at the NRA convention and received a rousing lack of interest, so I haven't made any plans to go.

Gosh, techno, it's called "changing your mind" and "changing your plans". I wouldn't exclude you from being part of this, simply because of a decision you made months ago...

OTOH, if you don't want to be part of this, I don't want to pressure you in any way to change your mind. We certainly don't want people at this event who don't want to be there.

We want people there who are looking forward to it, and the difference they can make...

And, I suspect, we'll all have fun amidst doing our jobs at this convention... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

technoronin

Quote from: Fred on April 09, 2013, 12:18:05 PM

Gosh, techno, it's called "changing your mind" and "changing your plans". I wouldn't exclude you from being part of this, simply because of a decision you made months ago...

OTOH, if you don't want to be part of this, I don't want to pressure you in any way to change your mind. We certainly don't want people at this event who don't want to be there.

We want people there who are looking forward to it, and the difference they can make...

And, I suspect, we'll all have fun amidst doing our jobs at this convention... :)

I'm a volunteer and I've been spending a lot of my own time and money supporting the Appleseed Project.  But at the end of the day, I'm just a volunteer.  When an organization behaves in such a way as to make me believe my help and my skills aren't wanted, I'm motivated to go elsewhere.  I'm not going to beg The Powers That Be to let me help.

At this point, I don't feel particularly welcome in this organization.  I have no illusions about how important I am (not very), but how many other potential volunteers are walking away?

TimBeatty

Is there a Hotel/Motel that most of us are staying at? If there is can someone post it? I am thinking about going and need any information I can get to start making plans.
Tim Beatty

SPQR

Technoronin - did you mean this thread?  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=32009.msg238595#msg238595  in this thread you got all sorts of information.  you got a response from someone who had represented Appleseed at two previous NRACons including the forum name of the person coordinating it, a response from Fred, Two Wolves, and Scout, three very important people in the program.  And several of those responses carried a next step for an interested person and Scout even listed his phone number.  What exactly were your looking for?  Why don't you feel welcome?  Scout gave you his phone number, Fred encouraged your participation, and several people said they would be there.  It seems very welcoming.

timbeatty - I know a couple Seeders live in the area and that Hawkhavn has reserved some rooms in a hotel.  PM him for details.

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Ratchett

Quote from: SPQR on April 09, 2013, 05:29:09 PM
timbeatty - I know a couple Seeders live in the area and that Hawkhavn has reserved some rooms in a hotel.  PM him for details.

Hi timbeatty,

I am going to jump in here and ask if you could please PM information to me, regarding how many days you would be able to work the Appleseed booth, your driving distance, if you are traveling with another instructor that you would like to room, and if there are any of the seminars you are interested in attending other than just checking out the overall.

I am trying to coordinate the booth so that everyone gets to see what they are interested as well as be sure the booth is manned at all times.

I do understand you may not have made a full decision to assist with convention, but I would at least like to have the information to plug into the schedule.

Thanks and look forward to meeting you!
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

While I am the only red hat in the Houston city limits I am unable to offer a place to sleep to my fellow Appleseeders, even if they smell better than me.  %)

What I am able to offer is the ability to ferry 6 Appleseed team members around in my vehicle, as long as the lodging isn't in the next county.  ;)

I have arranged to be off work Thursday and Friday the week of the convention and will be available Saturday and Sunday. I've worked the booth at a few of the DFW area Prep Expos and had a lot of fun.

pm sent to Ratchett...

Ladyseed Man Slave