News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kemmerer AS 8/08

Started by colonial shooter, August 02, 2008, 09:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonial shooter

What a great day, 8 registered 18 shooters on the line. A few experienced shooters, but mostly newbies. Standard COF, great history lessons(with a twist). This is only the intro, more to come.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

hawkhavn

Well another succesful Appleseed in the books.  But like CS said there are some grounbreaking twists in this one!  More to come tomorrow, pictures of course.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

colonial shooter

Okay, here we go. Now that I have caught up with some of my sleep, Lets lay it out. Out of 18 participants, three riflemen/women obtained. Only one got taken to the watering hole (in this case the ice water cooler). Risky will have to give the scores. two ladies present. Three states covered (Utah, Wyoming and Idaho). Many new shooters and a few experienced ones. Everyone was sent home with the tools to practice and return for the next event ready to score that elusive riflemans score. Hats off to the new instructors (ktr, kiwi, labotw) and our new IIT (foo). Hawkhavn, Horn, Grandpa and Risky Business rounded out the crew, great job gentlemen. Most students promising to attend another event within months and then helping to bring appleseed to their home ranges. If I have left out anything please add it now.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

risky buisness

As colonial put it, now I'm caught up on sleep and my cows are back where there suppost to be I can give you all an accounting of the Kemmerer Appleseed. As previously mentioned 3 RIFLEMEN scores were fired, a 210, which obligated its owner a dip in the creek, however a 5 gal Gott cooler handilly filled the bill, and as the temps were in the 90s, we hoped that the rest of the shooters would want the same treatment and get the shooting in order, but alas that wasn't to be. A 214 was fired by a young man without benifit of a sling, we wonder what could have happned with one? One remarkable lady, after 2 previous Appleseeds finally got it all together, firing a solid 222,and backing it up with an astounding 234, she also prepared the lunches for our group and did not have the benifit of the hours of practice afforded our other participants. She summed it up like this " I'm not very athletic and never was a very good shot, but putting all the basics together and shooting by the numbers WORKS!!" Incidentally this remarkable lady is your corrispondants lovely wife. This Appleseed was a real learning experience, both for our students and our dedicated instructor corps,with wide swings both in experience and equipment, ages and abilities, this was the most diverse group I ever had the pleasure to work with. We developed nearly a page of contact numbers for folks who want an Appleseed near their homes and will work very hard to do that for them.
Ages-9-50+
Most popular rifle-Ruger 1022
next most popular- Ar 15
least most popular rifle- tube fed Marlin
Avg temp- 89
avg wind speed (afternoon 18 mph)
avg water consumption- 1 gal per shooter per day

We found a new tool for your Appleseed range box folks: 550 cord with the center strands removed will fit between the bbl and tube mag on most rifles, this can be tied into a loop and a sling attached to it, also a loop placed between the stock and the buttplate will serve for the rear attachment.
Risky Buisness, Rifleman and worlds fastest single shot M1 Garand operator

risky buisness

Wonders never cease, I was just informed that one of the participants at our recent Appleseed has decided to start down the APPLESEED TRAIL as an IIT, (she must have liked the cool orange hat) so we have realized 2 new IIT's in Wyoming in the last 10 days, These gals can really shoot and the impact that 2 new female instructors can have is, well, incalculable to the program. Guys it's not just about male participation in shooting, or historical education any more, our message is getting around and savy folks of both genders are taking up the call. Outstanding !
Risky Buisness, Rifleman and worlds fastest single shot M1 Garand operator

Fred

Yes sir - if we get the women in, can the men be far behind? >:( ;D

Always good to hear good news from WY - guess the new IIT will 'break in' at Douglas?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

funfaler

Congrats to Mrs. Risky Business (perhaps a screen name of 'Serious Business' is order :P)

Good to hear that the shoot was productive and successful, good work.

We do need the IITs in Douglas, and a few Instructors as well.  Contrary to certain folks prediction that we would be blessed to have over 30, looks like we could fill the join with 80, if folks keep stepping up.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

colonial shooter

I concur, serious business it is, Risky could you please inform the missus. Tell Foo to get on line too

Plato