News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Can IL shooters attend IA appleseeds?

Started by Boston, February 10, 2013, 08:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

My wife is from north western Iowa and we are frequently back there to see family. Wanted to see if it was possible for IL residents to attend Appleseed's in Iowa.

I would normally be about 2 hours north of Des Moines so I don't know if there is anything even close by to attend.

Thanks.

Miller

Oh yes.
And we would encourage you to attend a shoot out of state.  And in your state.  And then another even farther away.  There's no better way to meet different folks than to visit different places.  And in meeting different folks at a variety of different Appleseeds you'll quickly discover that they're not so different after all.  And with that connection the extended family you choose expands exponentially.

As for shoots near the Des Moines area...

Winterset is just a bit South-West of the city and host shoots regularly throughout the spring, summer, and into late fall.

We held a shoot last year in Ames at the Izaak Walton League and I believe more are planned there for this coming summer.

A bit more of a drive Northward brings you to Decorah or Northwoods, both of which hosted multiple shoots last year.
Fearful but resolute.

Miller

And not knowing exactly where in Illinois you'd be coming from....
Just across the river from Illinois we have shoots in Dubuque and Montrose.
So even if you can't make it to a shoot while on a visit perhaps a weekend on a Hawkeye line is still an option.

Fearful but resolute.

Boston

Sounds good. Live out by Aurora IL and the in-laws are all out by Denison IA. May be able to get some cousins to come long with me later this year. Will keep an eye on the dates and locations.

Ames

Boston,

Ames is planning on hosting two Appleseeds this year:  April 20, 21 and August 17, 18.  Another wild idea might be to try and organize an Appleseed in the Denison vicinity.  Just need a hosting site -- perhaps your in-laws there have connections to a site?

George Hacker

Quote from: Miller on February 10, 2013, 09:49:26 AM
Oh yes.
And we would encourage you to attend a shoot out of state.  And in your state.  And then another even farther away.  There's no better way to meet different folks than to visit different places.  And in meeting different folks at a variety of different Appleseeds you'll quickly discover that they're not so different after all.  And with that connection the extended family you choose expands exponentially.

You would be most welcome in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and/or Washington.  Just let us know ahead of time. :)

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."