News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Global Appleseed aka Kemmerer AAR

Started by colonial shooter, July 27, 2008, 11:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonial shooter

Hey, no one told us we needed an interpreter for this gig. :D Three students present (all from foreign countries, England, Sweden, and New Zealand) all ready to learn. Day one started brisk 50* and soon touched 85. Sun with an occasional cloud. Redcoats started 1 100 yd shooter, but things got better real quick. Groups shrunk, as shooters grasped the positions and steps. History was a little different, students added different viewpoint to the story (you know the British are present). Shooters still shooting, getting trigger time even now (wow 11 hours and still going). This will be the first international contingent of instructors in the history of Appleseed. Hearing our history in one of those "funny" accents will be weird, we will see what happens in the next couple of days. Hawkhavn doing a smashing job of Sb for the first time, Risky to take a shot at it tomorrow. Many photos will be added soon.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

colonial shooter

International students drop by a day early for extra trigger time

[attachment=1]
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

risky buisness

Kemmerer (global RBC) is really happening, round count is (only by day) 2, HUGE, these guys don't quit, even with the chance for a Hot shower we can't pry em away from the range. Lessons in rifle maintenence are well accepted, especially as with the crud blowin in and the amount of cartridges fired, some of our rifles are hit and miss. It appears that this Boot Camp is 'shoes optional' with our New Zealand contingent, and the rivalry for who's going to hit 210 first is really heating up, there is a distinct possibility of some kind of "bug spray accident" happening in some of the contenders tent, we will keep a close eye on this development and report any and all suspicous activities.
We have seen some amazing things out of a bunch of folks who have not got a great deal of firearms experience, we've gone from 8-10 min to fantastic groups that a dime covers, some serious head scratching on the instructors part to solve a stringing problem that a pet rock fixed, yep, a pet rock, talk about adapt and overcome. Since we are in the company of a serious history student, it only seems natural that he gets to lead off with his presentation of the 'first strike bright and early. --Hey Fred-- thanx!! got the targets, whew, it was getting close. Best score to date 196, more to follow--risky
Risky Buisness, Rifleman and worlds fastest single shot M1 Garand operator

hawkhavn

Well all have now had a hot shower and a shave, as well as a good dinner at the local diner.  Poor waitress, don't think she had ever had a table with a Swede, a Kiwi and a Brit before (You want vinegar for your fries chips??? The other guy is waving a butter knife and yelling 'Haaka Palle' at every opportunity but the guy from New Zealand is very quiet and reserved)
Huge improvement over 24 hours, expect to be handing out Rifleman patches on the morrow.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

The Guy

Augh!!

Cursed work keeping me at home!

Sounds like a great time.  Wish I was there.

Looks like y'all will be getting to Full Distance a day early, with groups like that.

Keep up the good work!

Guy

risky buisness

Day 3, global Boot Camp, history was made today by our British contingent simply by following the 4 safety rules, the 6 steps, and effectivly using the IMC formulas to fire a 210 for our first RIFLEMAN of this ground breaking group.
The traditional dunk in the nearest water source was very welcome and no other persuasion was needed to get this very able shooter into the ditch, with temps in the 90s, he beat us down the hill, this moment was photoed and with any luck, Colonial Shooter can provide the proof of this historic event. So far the other scores are hovering in the 200+ range and the race is on for our other attendees. With the round count near 600, this bunch won't quit, and as I was leaving the range to post this account, one dedicated instructor canidate, grabed the nearest instructor and took off, back to the range for more, they won't quit, neither will we. The history is sharpening right up too, with a distintive Nordic flair the first strike is told and the Kiwi is up next. If you have'nt been to a boot camp this may be lost on you but, when you get to know a bunch of guys things about them jump out, like the nick names one can come up with, "gumby"for instance, we have a guy who can REALLY get that support elbow under him, amazing. The instructor corps at this RBC is outstanding folks, you Indiana guys got one of the very best with HawkHaven, Colonial is outstanding, Horn, wow, grandpaw came in tonight and were hitting the full distance tomorrow. Will post more later--risky

colonial shooter

Oh yeah, Funny hearing those accents. Don't have the photos of the dunking but here are some others:

Instructor dog??
[attachment=1]

British rifleman
[attachment=2]

Firing line
[attachment=3]

Plato

Garand69

Excellent!

Thinking Nationally, acting locally, has a tendancy to attract freedom lovers from abroad  ;D
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

voortrekker

Risky and Colonial Shooter,

Great job fellers!

I am curious. 

How did a Brit, Swede and New Zealander find out about Appleseed?

Why did they want to attend?

Lastly, did they know anything about our American Revolutionary War history beforehand?

Again, great job guys!

Very interesting.

Brett

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

colonial shooter

vt, that would be a kiwi (New Zealander). I will let them tell their own stories. RB is posting later.

Plato

hawkhavn

Hawkhavn checking in from Kemmerer.
Another great day, all went to the full distance range and saw that what works at 25m works at 400.
Risky Buisness graciously lent this itinerant Instructor a beautiful rifle, rich in history with which to shoot the course.
I will say that shooting full range at 7000' is an experience not to be missed!

RB's gracious wife delivered a palatial dinner to the range tonight that was very much appreciated.

More soon,
Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

colonial shooter

Wow, what a week. Three students, three riflemen, thats 100%.
[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]

Not even a bug spray injury :D.

Only one dunking in the cattle creek!

[attachment=4]

Plato

risky buisness

The photos do say quite a lot, but the dedication the students and the instructors showed could never be fully appreciated untill you go to a boot camp, it's truely amazing to watch the transformation from soup stirrer to RIFLEMAN, were even attracting some of the die hard locals by simply staying late and teaching, "you guys don't quit do you?" was one of the comments by one old feller, who was quite pleased when we offered him a LTR and a redcoat, yea, we got him hooked now. We have worked very hard to acheive what we have here in Kemmerer and it's not even close to being over, Appleseed practice day is up tommorow with several folks coming in to take advantage of a little trigger time and our bunch is certianly up to the task.
As Colonial mentioned earlier, no "Bug Spray" was needed and every one beat the dunk in the creek score by a good margin, so were all looking good. pretty tired, pretty sunburned,pretty happy campers, more later--risky

ktr

Voortrekker,

having been asked about how three foreigners end up in Kemmerer, a good bit of that would be my fault.

As I was going to North America for the summer, I thought that I might as well try to learn how to shoot, a long-time goal of mine.

Having searched the web for courses, I ended up on appleseedinfo.org, liked the concept and the context, signed up and went to Douglas for the 31/5-1/6 Appleseed.

Whilst back in Canada, without access to a rifle, I used a broom-stick to train NPOA in a hostel as the Kiwi walked in through the door.

The rest - as they say - is history.

With less than ten days of trigger-time in all, but a good hours of broom-time, Douglas-Piru-Kemmerer ended up turning out a Rifleman.

So, I still have to get back to the people I owe it to, but until I get to them with PM:s, but until then, thanks!

(As for the Englishman, I wash my hands and claim no responsibility...)

risky buisness

As with just about everything in life, nothing is more amazing than people, especially people who shoot, I had asked around for some practice students for our pre Appleseed training day, got several and one was shooting very well, very well indeed, a 236 well, and wants to join the program as an IIT,just so happens that we can make this happen for her.
This boot camp is technically over, although this one will last in my memory for a very long time, from a kind of raw bunch we have found the true RIFLEMAN inside them all and managed to give them the keys to open the doors of success. I am very proud of all the accomplishments we have done here at this ground breaking event--- 133% percent on RIFLEMEN, 3 instructors, one IIT for the programs benefit and friendships across oceans.
With 14 hour days behind us it's now time to step back and relax, untill we do it again tommorow and interest a whole new bunch in Appleseeding.
Here's the break down:
Ave age of students--23.5
lowest score fired--156
highest score fired-236
highes score fired by an instructor-234
lowest"      " --216
highest temp--92
lowest 40
Round count--astromomical
most common .22 rifle- Ruger 1022
next most common-- Marlin semi auto
Most common centerfire--AR 15 in several variations
next most common ---US M1 Garand
3rd place--- SKS
Highest wind gust--25-30 mph
average wind speed ---15-18mph
Many thanks to members of the Kemmerer Gun Club for bringing out the many different kinds of firearms for the guys to try, here's an interesting note, on a vernier rear sight on a Winchester Hi Wall 45-70, 1/100" = 1" @ 100yds, Hows that shoulder KTR ?

colonial shooter

More pics

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

Plato

colonial shooter

As a finishing note on this historic boot camp, Three participants, all foreign nationals, all now steeped in tradition and ready to take what they have learned back and pass on the hope of liberty. Hopefully they will hold AS of their own. One will remain local to Utah and help get that program on the road. The others heading back to their own countries.

BTW ktr and kiwi sign me up when you get them scheduled. I will be there to help in anyway I can.

Plato