News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Behold! Remington 597 youth stocks!

Started by Caliper, January 22, 2013, 11:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliper

No, not from Remington.  I had an extra stock after putting a Boyds on one of my rifles.  So, out came the skill saw...  and some hand work to fit the original butt plate back on... 

Then I found another stock on Ebay and finally got them both finished up.  One is -1", the other is -1.5".  Original LOP is 14", which fits my long neck well, but Kate says these work better for people without giraffe necks. 

Whippet

Nicely done! Are they as fast, and easy, to swap on/off as the 10/22 stocks?
1. Point the sights where they need to be pointed
2. Keep 'em there while you squeeze the trigger.
3. Repeat

Choose wisely and do your best at whatever you find yourself doing. (Whippet, 1997)

Caliper

Two allen head screws and the entire action lifts right out.   

Oh yeah, and the barrel channel has been opened up a hair to float the barrel.  :cool2:

mac66

Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Pain Killer

Any ideas on the horrible magazines that come with them? Any suggestions on after market mags?

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Oz

Sweet!  Will you be bringing these to Bellevue?  I wonder if the short stocks might be a better fit for folks who are bundled in full winterseed attire even if in shirtsleeves they would not want a short LOP.  Inquiring minds want to know!  (And test!)
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Caliper

Quote from: Pain Killer on January 23, 2013, 10:17:08 AM
Any ideas on the horrible magazines that come with them? Any suggestions on after market mags?

PK

Hmmm, I've not had a problem with the mags after a bit of break in so the tenth round goes in without a fight.  What problems are you having? 

Oz: I'm planning to be at the Bellevue shoot in March.  We'll see how the weather does.  Will certainly have these with me though! 

Pain Killer

They are difficult to seat compared to the magazines of the Ruger 10-22 and I seem to have to replace them every 6 months where I haven't replaced my 10-22 mags in 2 years and they are the one I use as loaners, so they get a lot of use.

I like the work done on those stocks by the way! How would I get one?
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

3.Dogs

Wicked Cool Caliper!  Gives me a couple of ideas for finding a youth sized stock.  Of course next shoot we do together I would like a bit of instruction on how you did it so I could modify mine.

As far as mags go Pain Killer,  Ive been using mine for about a year and a half no problems.  I did read some where something about the mags keep going through design changes.  Depending on which design they are and when/where they were manufactured there could be issues with loading as wells as seating issues.  How to identify which design and the when/where.. beats me I've been looking but havn't found anything yet on that information will let you know if I do find it though.

3.Dogs
"Maybe we should call Burbs." - SteelThunder

Caliper

Pain Killer, Yes, the mags require a good smack to seat if fully prepped with ten rounds when the bolt is closed.  Similar to seating a fully prepped 20 or 30 rounder on an AR.  Anything like 5 or 8 rounds just needs fingertip pressure.  Of course, since it has a last round hold open, I'm usually seating a mag with an open bolt so it goes in easily. 

Ebay or Gunbroker would be the best place to find spares to modify.  I really don't know about getting into the "business" of modifying these on a larger scale.  The modifications to make the original butt plate fit on after cutting the stock down are a bit time consuming at the moment.  Would be happy to post more pics however. 

3.dogs, the latest mag style is the "circle 10".  Metal body with a little 10 inside a circle next to the bottom of the slot in the side of the mag.  I think rimfirecentral has some advice on how to modify older style mags to work better.  All of mine are the new style however except one.  That one is an old, old plastic body mag.  Really haven't used this one so extensively; I cut down the little tab on the follower so it will not engage the last shot hold open for use in ball-and-dummy drills. 

Grindstone

It seems the butt pad is just for cosmetics anyway, the plastic is decently thick. Instead of refitting the plastic pad, why not just fill them with construction foam (from the aerosol spray can), cut them off flat, and glue skate board tape on? Of course I would just leave it empty and look the other way when someone complains that it's ugly.

With 597s it seems to be the luck of the draw. Most of the Michigan instructors love theirs. Mine looks cool and shoots good groups but has never functioned reliably, or held a good zero. The magazine has gone through at least 4 revisions since they first hit the market. As far as I know, the circle 10 is still the latest, and it works incrementally better in mine. Something to look out for is the really thick base plate. The older ones have a smaller one.

Some shooters have a problem because the magazine well extends too low and prevents the metal part of the magazine from engaging the catch before the base plate contacts the bottom of the well. A fast upward slap to slide the magazine into place uses momentum to help. There may be some shimming or trimming of the base plate to solve this on the magazine side.

The Rimfire Central guys used to have all sorts of tricks for trimming the follower and lubing the mags to make them work, but then it was decided that none of those tricks actually worked. The design flaw is simply that the double stack design is too wide and not long enough. There is too much friction at the top of the stack and a stronger spring only makes more friction. The new mags are a few thousandths narrower on the inside, and as long as the marketing guys will allow for cosmetic reasons.
!@#)
/rant>

mac66

Quote from: Grindstone on January 29, 2013, 11:55:22 PM
It seems the butt pad is just for cosmetics anyway, the plastic is decently thick. Instead of refitting the plastic pad, why not just fill them with construction foam (from the aerosol spray can), cut them off flat, and glue skate board tape on? Of course I would just leave it empty and look the other way when someone complains that it's ugly.

With 597s it seems to be the luck of the draw. Most of the Michigan instructors love theirs. Mine looks cool and shoots good groups but has never functioned reliably, or held a good zero. The magazine has gone through at least 4 revisions since they first hit the market. As far as I know, the circle 10 is still the latest, and it works incrementally better in mine. Something to look out for is the really thick base plate. The older ones have a smaller one.

Some shooters have a problem because the magazine well extends too low and prevents the metal part of the magazine from engaging the catch before the base plate contacts the bottom of the well. A fast upward slap to slide the magazine into place uses momentum to help. There may be some shimming or trimming of the base plate to solve this on the magazine side.

The Rimfire Central guys used to have all sorts of tricks for trimming the follower and lubing the mags to make them work, but then it was decided that none of those tricks actually worked. The design flaw is simply that the double stack design is too wide and not long enough. There is too much friction at the top of the stack and a stronger spring only makes more friction. The new mags are a few thousandths narrower on the inside, and as long as the marketing guys will allow for cosmetic reasons.
!@#)
/rant>

Or you could just get a 10/22 and be done with it. ;D
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Grindstone

Mac,

It's important to not to get in the way when engineers undergo the ritual of torturing themselves for fun. For the other days I torture myself with the sights and bolt hold open on my completely stock 10-22, or with my 'nothing stock except the magazine' 10-22.

Oz

Quote from: Grindstone on January 30, 2013, 11:45:43 PM
or with my 'nothing stock except the magazine' 10-22.

You showed me how to take apart those magazines.  I have no doubt that you have thoughts on how they could be improved.
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Caliper

Quote from: mac66 on January 30, 2013, 11:29:32 PM
Or you could just get a 10/22 and be done with it. ;D

What?  Follow the crowd?  Never! 

Besides, I've just always liked the 597 better.  Moreso after I took apart Kates 10/22 (by which I mean every part). 

Superheat

I torture myself with the sights

FOUL.  You are the only one who likes the stock ruger sights.

mac66

Mac,

It's important to not to get in the way when engineers undergo the ritual of torturing themselves for fun. For the other days I torture myself with the sights and bolt hold open on my completely stock 10-22, or with my 'nothing stock except the magazine' 10-22.

I know, I get it. I don't subscribe to it but I get it.  :))
Ronald Reagan

Caliper

Poking around on RFC recently, I found mention of aftermarket 10 round mags for the 597 here: http://www.keepshooting.com/remington-597-magazine-10-round.html

I've not used then, but all the reviews are positive.  I figure I'll add a few to my mag stockpile whenever they are back in stock...   ::)