News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The rifle

Started by Pain Killer, January 22, 2013, 01:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pain Killer

Found this on another states' posting. I thought this was worth posting here. I love this Blog. I might use this in Sunday's benediction

http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/08/jims-quote-of-the-day-2516.html
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

SSGnewt

Great article, only one thing i'm concerned about. This writer says nothing about the Christian ethics we had then or the fact that God was at that time on our side. i think that may be part of your benediction.
As i replied, excellent article...
                                    newt, out!!!!!!!
God, country, and those to my left and right, always your humble servant.
             SSGnewt out!!!

Transform

SSGnewt, Appleseed is open to ALL Americans who are willing to step up, grab a bucket and help us bail.
Some of us are religious, some of us are not. Some of us are Christian, but some of us follow other beliefs.
Although some of us share political beliefs, some of us do not. Appleseed is a non-partisan organization.
We do not separate ourselves along political or religious lines, we are ALL working to save our country.
Although we come from many different backgrounds and beliefs, each of us are our Founders' "Posterity".

The benediction that Pain Killer mentioned is not a religious benediction, it is part of an Appleseed weekend.
As you learn more about our Founders, you may be surprised to discover that they too were not all Christian.
Our Founders came from a surprising number of backgrounds and beliefs, but they stood together for Liberty,
and fought together against a common foe, to create the once-great Republic that we are ALL working to save.

K98Al

From George Washington to Benjamin Franklin, one would do well to read their thoughts and beliefs on all matters pertaining to the ability of man's ability to govern himself. Might not make some folks feel "warm and fuzzy", but I believe the Founders had a better grip on things than we do.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

Bob Owens

Excellent blog entry, and certainly good for the benediction.

As far as religion goes, yes, many of us wearing hats of one color or another are Christians, but I've been proud to work with Jews, Muslims, atheists and agnostics... all in the same shoot. What makes this nation and this program special is that we accept all who come.
Editor of BearingArms.com, NRA News guest, Gunsite Academy graduate, and proud Appleseed Red Hat.

Unbridled Liberty

I read this on a Sunday right after lunch one time just before going in to KD.  I don't know about the shooters, but I kind of got choked up near the end when I read "And if there should be another war and the world is engulfed by forces that overwhelm men and reduce them to slavery, it will be the rifle that breaks their chains and restores human dignity.".  It is a good thing to have laminated and kept in your shoot bag.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

SSGnewt

Wasn't trying to imply anything, just my opinion. i don't do religion, i have a relationship. If my comments offends some so be it, i believe our forefathers did it right. i DO NOT have anything against anyone who wants to practice their 'religion'. i defended that right and will continue to as long as The Father allows me to be in the military, God Bless America.
                                                 Newt out
             SSGnewt out!!!

jmdavis

Newt,

There are many in Appleseed who have beliefs similar to yours. You said nothing wrong and if you offended anyone, they were too sensitive in the first place. The founders were not a-religious. They were also all well versed in Christian ethics. I personally will take a prayer from anyone who wants to offer it. I can use all the help that I can get. I think that the country can use all the prayers it can get too.

Near the end of this article from the Charleston Gazette about Appleseed religion is covered.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201009040509?page=1

"Our goal is to make people more civically active," Davis said earlier in the day. ...

"There's no religion test to come to a shoot," he said. "There's no color test to come to a shoot. It doesn't matter. If you want to be an involved, active American, we want your involvement.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Unbridled Liberty

Newt,

You should try to attend a shoot where Ratchett is Shoot Boss.  She tells it like it was, no apologies, no revisionism.  She starts with the Black Robe Regiment and goes from there.  Highly recommended!

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Red Alder Ranch

Quote from: Transform on March 17, 2013, 07:57:47 PM
SSGnewt, Appleseed is open to ALL Americans who are willing to step up, grab a bucket and help us bail.
Some of us are religious, some of us are not. Some of us are Christian, but some of us follow other beliefs.
Although some of us share political beliefs, some of us do not. Appleseed is a non-partisan organization.
We do not separate ourselves along political or religious lines, we are ALL working to save our country.
Although we come from many different backgrounds and beliefs, each of us are our Founders' "Posterity".

The benediction that Pain Killer mentioned is not a religious benediction, it is part of an Appleseed weekend.
As you learn more about our Founders, you may be surprised to discover that they too were not all Christian.
Our Founders came from a surprising number of backgrounds and beliefs, but they stood together for Liberty,
and fought together against a common foe, to create the once-great Republic that we are ALL working to save.

Thanks for that. The minute AS becomes something that I need to hold particular political or religious beliefs to participate in, I'll be down the road. It took me two years of hearing about AS before I decided I would try one out, because of this very concern.

It is imperative that we gun owners and RKBA advocates be able to reach those who hold a wide range of political and religious beliefs. I don't believe we can afford to exclude or alienate ANYONE in this effort. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that reaching out to "liberals" in this regard is probably the very most important task at hand when it comes to preserving the RKBA.

Hopefully it's not too political for me to say that here; if so, mods please delete and accept my apologies.

</rant>

Transform

Quote from: Red Alder Ranch on March 22, 2013, 08:46:29 PM
It is imperative that we gun owners and RKBA advocates be able to reach those who hold a wide range of political and religious beliefs. I don't believe we can afford to exclude or alienate ANYONE in this effort. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that reaching out to "liberals" in this regard is probably the very most important task at hand when it comes to preserving the RKBA.

Yep, I reach out to those who I disagree with, and who disagree with me, all the time. Although I haven't converted any into shooters (yet), I've put a human face on the issues (with my ugly mug!) so they have to recognize that my rights are just as important as their rights. It's not enough, but still, it's a start.

Pain Killer

Wow, this has gotten very philosophical! The rifle really brings out raw emotions. All kidding aside, I'm just glad everyone likes this link I posted and enjoys it as much as I did. SSGnewt, I hope to see you again at a shoot this year in NC.

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

SSGnewt

Wanted to get to the one this weekend but priorities took over. i'm logged in for the april shoot. but i need to get some more ammo (7.62X51). i want to use my M1a for the real effect. Looking forward to the fellowship.
                  later
                 Newt out!!!!!!!
             SSGnewt out!!!

jmdavis

If you take both the .22 and the M1A you may have a better time. There is nothing wrong with shooting the M1A, but 2 days of shooting could cost you hundreds of dollars. On the other hand shooting a .22 for most of Saturday, making sure that you have a good 25m zero for your M1A and then shooting it for KD on Sunday is the best of both worlds and will really save money.

When you zero the M1a, make sure that you are putting all of your shots in the center of the square or silhouette.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner