News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Congressmen and Senators

Started by Pain Killer, January 18, 2013, 03:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pain Killer

Have we ever hosted or invited a US Congressman or Senator to an Appleseed in NC? This might be an excellent time to include such an invite in all these letters we are sending.

Steve
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Pain Killer

Especially those that receive a poor grade from the NRA. Our purpose is to change the hearts and minds and awaken the American Spirit. I find that I tend to invite people to Appleseed that I think are going to enjoy it because they are open to what we are teaching them. My New Years resolution is to try harder and approach those that don't understand the Second Amendment and what our forefathers fought for.
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Sadman

I've been trying to work on my county commissioners.  My thought process is that future NC Senate and House representatives try their hat at county politics before entering into the state level.  I've made pretty good friends with at least one and I hope to have him out to visit with us in Ramseur at some point this year.  Don't forget we are "planting seeds" as well!!!!

Pain Killer

That's good work! The local politicians can be even more important in some cases. There is a growing number of Sheriffs that are refusing to enforce any new gun laws by executive order. I think Senator Burr might be willing to come out if we invite him ( he is a serious hunter and NRA member). He might help us reach others. I am going to try and bring out Dr. Gant a hand doc I know. Her dad used to be Mayor of Charlotte.

Pitmaster

If a politician comes have them bring along any staff and interns.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Pain Killer

That's a great idea, they have a lot of influence as well.

Pitmaster

Quote from: Pain Killer on January 19, 2013, 10:26:01 PM
That's a great idea, they have a lot of influence as well.

I got that idea after learning that one of Indiana's legislators made it a requirement for his staff and/or interns to go. It may have been a "private" Appleseed just for them. I don't know if the legislator has attended an AS or not.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member