News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NY legislative session TODAY!

Started by Dude, January 14, 2013, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

I spent a good deal of time with Senator Marchione and Assemblyman McLaughlin at the gun show yesterday; this is what HAS to happen:  Calls need to go to your local reps, yes, but Cuomo's office needs to be called as well, with the following: No new restrictions on gun freedom, No limitations on magazine capacity, No limitations on how many firearms we may transport, AND -THIS IS THE KEY PART-  NO usage by the governor of the "MESSAGE OF NECESSITY" attached to ANY of this legislation. This is the method he will be using to get this pushed through on a fast track, and the legislators probably  won't even read the bill before voting.

THE LEGISLATIVE SESSION IS FROM 3-5PM TODAY!!!

FROM Iroquois Newsletter:

Please take a moment to call now!

NRA-ILA is advising that the New York State legislature may attempt to ram all of Governor Cuomo's gun control proposals through the legislature on this coming Monday. NRA's lobbyist is currently in New York doing everything he can to delay the vote as long as possible, so it is imperative that every concerned gun owner mobilizes and takes immediate action.

These proposals apparently will include the most restrictive ban on semiautomatic rifles and shotguns in the nation; bans on standard-capacity rifle and pistol magazines (i.e., those holding more than ten rounds -- maybe even fewer); bans on internet ammunition purchases; background checks for ammo purchases; and other draconian gun control laws. Though the actual bills have not yet been seen, Gov. Cuomo stated in an interview that confiscation is an option, meaning that the new bans may not have a "grandfather clause" that allows current owners to keep the guns that they now have.

Please notify your friends, neighbors, fellow club members, hunting buddies, and Second Amendment supporters that they need to call their representatives in the Senate and Assembly today!

First, it is essential to contact the state Senate Majority Leader, Sen. Dean Skelos, and tell him that the Senate Republicans must not make any concessions on gun control. His office number is 518-455-3171.
Then call both your state Senator and Assemblyman. You can look up your members of the NYS legislature at the links below:

Assembly member look up
http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/

Senate member look up
http://www.nysenate.gov/senators

Phone calls will be much more effective than e-mails, so please make every effort to call until you speak to a live person.

And again, please spread the word as far and as quickly as possible.

- Rob Firriolo
NRA-ILA Election Volunteer Coordinator
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Josey Wales

..Thank You Dude this is very important information.......................JW....................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Spartan

If you are from NY and you have not been calling today,,,you need to jump on it right now.  The Governors office isnt taking calls but all of the state senators are now!
Pick up the phone right now and start calling!!!
"With your shield or on it"

R1SGx2

And now, by this afternoon, many New Yorkers will be classified a FELON.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Mutti

Link to copy of S2230-2013: Licensure, suspension and revocation of firearms licenses:

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

snip :
through this legislation, New York is the first in the
nation to completely ban all pre-1994 high capacity magazines; to ban
any magazine that holds more than seven rounds (rather
than a limit of ten)
and to both track ammunition purchases in real
time to permit alerts on high volume buyers, while also checking on
the buyer's background.

While not linked, one might also want to review the following Laws which are being amended to include changes:

Quotethis bill amends the Correction Law, the Criminal Procedure Law, the
Domestic Relations Law, the Executive Law, the Family Court Act, the
General Business Law, the Judiciary Law, Kendra's Law (Section 18 of
Chapter 408 of the Laws of 1999, as amended by Chapter 139 of the
Laws of 2010), the Mental Hygiene Law, the Penal Law, and the
Surrogates Court Act.

At this point the vote was 44 - 19 and will be / has been referred to the House.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

MetalgodZ

Been on the phone this whole morning.

number6

This bill has been referred to the Codes Committee of the State Assembly,  there should be still time to contact your representatives.

And those on the Committee.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/

http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/?sec=mem&id=7

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

MetalgodZ

Too late. Bill is passed by the Assembly, 104-41, and headed to Cuomo.

LittleMo

NYS Assembly passed the bill 104-43 and the governor signed it into law at 5:10pm.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

The Mrs.

Round 1 to Cuomo.  I have heard some legislators already talking about changing aspects of it.

It ain't over guys!!  As angry as we might be, we gotta keep at it!!
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

CiviSoldier

I agree.  As hopeless as it seems, there are other avenues to consider.  Such as researching or talking to your local Sheriff.  These are the only elected LEOs and have considerable power to uphold the Constitution.  See... http://www.newswithviews.com/Stang/alan192.htm

:sos:

"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
When there is little hope
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far
Remember Who We Are" - Krista Branch

LittleMo

gunville

CiviSoldier:

The sheriff stuff is of course rubbish.  They are subordinate and bound to enforce state law. They can duck it to some extent by simply ignoring infractions but it doesn't prevent, say, a State Trooper from coming in and taking your Assault 10/22.

It is my hope that most LEO's will see the absurdity and simply not enforce this except in the case of "additional charges" to someone they find committing a crime with a firearm.  I don't know the number of LEO or the percent that are OathKeepers, but I am going to ask every one I meet to take that oath.  I think I may start carrying around info on it in case they have never heard of it.

LittleMo/DOM - is there a way to send that link to ALL NY appleseed instructors?  Right now I wish we had an email for everyone that every participated in a NY appleseed.

Everyone needs to know they are not alone.

I know this program can't take a stance beyond protestation of this Sh*t, but I plan on adding info on skirting the law - probably to YouTube - and I'll link it here - maybe next week.
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

CiviSoldier

Gunville:
Wow that was painful to read.  I, of course, respect your viewpoint in the matter.

I would not be quick to say that a State Trooper would do just that, especially when such measures usually require cooperation with local officials.

Besides, depending on which State you live in, Sheriff's may or may not have the ability to summon any person to aid in the duties of a peace officer.  It would be worth it to check, as local officials welcome support from those that they have been given the honor to serve and protect.

Here is an example of an unnamed State:

PC 150:
Every able-bodied person over 18 years of age must aid and assist in taking or arresting any person against whom there may be issued any process, and must aid and assist in retaking any arrestee who has escaped, and must aid and assist in preventing any breach of the peace or the commission of any criminal offense, when ordered to do so by any judge, by any peace officer in uniform, or by any designated peace officer who identifies himself or herself with a badge or identification card issued by the officer's employing agency.

V
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far

SKSRifleman

Just wanted to let you all know that my thoughts are with you guys in New York. Keep fighting.
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

gunville

There is something a decent sheriff can do....

Can't he deputize someone?

a good sheriff could then deputize every gun owner in his juristiction - making them LEO - and thus exempt from complying with this law.

Find one.

Also - you could then talk on your cell while driving because LEO is exempted from that as well (Why do laws apply to some people and not others????)
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

CiviSoldier

'Deputizing' is precisely the intent behind the text of the law that I posted.

I spent a little time trying to determine if this is the case for NY.  I'm going to spend some more time tonight and try to scour the depths of NY State laws to find text that could support it.  In the meantime, perhaps a call can be made to www.nysheriffs.org to see if they are aware of such an allowance of duty.

The exception of the application of law in which you made an example is what I consider the law of necessity.  What are the specific and named bounds then that make it applicable?  Unfortunately, most of the times that is left to the discretion of the officer or judge involved.

Those exceptions tend to make a bad name for LEO's and therefore is something that, if I were in that situation, would personally avoid.

We must lead by example, examples for which we would ideally like responsible citizens to follow.
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far

LittleMo

Gunville,

You can send a PM to all the NYS instructors if you like. The list of NYS instructors can be found here in the New York board.

I do maintain an email list of some Appleseed participants and will keep my promise of not giving that list out to anyone. They signed up for my NYS Appleseed email newsletter at the shoots I instructed at. I cannot be at every shoot in New York so there are many participants that I do not have email addresses for. If the shoot bosses could collect email addresses for me, that list would grow and keep the folks interested and informed. I talked with several people at this past weekend's Saratoga gun show that attended an Appleseed several years ago. They forgot about Appleseed and had heard nothing from Appleseed since. (That has changed at the national level now.) I'll reimburse the shoot bosses the $.50 for postal mailing it to me.

If you would like to be on my NYS Appleseed email list, PM me your home email address. All are welcome to receive my NYS email newsletter - participants, non-participants, and instructors. I'll be sending out another newsletter hopefully in a few days. I also update the NYS Appleseed Facebook page frequently.

Gary

Dude

Deputizing is NOT technically sufficient. Exercise caution! Written permission from their chief would be required to actually possess the restricted firearms.
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

sgtrock

Quote from: LittleMo on January 16, 2013, 12:54:16 PM
Gunville,

You can send a PM to all the NYS instructors if you like. The list of NYS instructors can be found here in the New York board.

I do maintain an email list of some Appleseed participants and will keep my promise of not giving that list out to anyone. They signed up for my NYS Appleseed email newsletter at the shoots I instructed at. I cannot be at every shoot in New York so there are many participants that I do not have email addresses for. If the shoot bosses could collect email addresses for me, that list would grow and keep the folks interested and informed.
QuoteI talked with several people at this past weekend's Saratoga gun show that attended an Appleseed several years ago. They forgot about Appleseed and had heard nothing from Appleseed since.
Gary,, I believe that if anyone is so interested in something,, it should be thier desire or responsibilty to stick with it, instead of them wanting to be contacted and coddled, I do not collect emails from students at my shoots,,, their info is not my business to know, its private unless they offer it,,, and still I don't accept it too often, if I do,,, it would not be used for solicitation purposes,,, I accept PM's after the shoots if they want to contact me for additional help or info,,, that's just me,,,, I am not a telemarketer,,
Quote(That has changed at the national level now.) I'll reimburse the shoot bosses the $.50 for postal mailing it to me.

If you would like to be on my NYS Appleseed email list, PM me your home email address. All are welcome to receive my NYS email newsletter - participants, non-participants, and instructors. I'll be sending out another newsletter hopefully in a few days. I also update the NYS Appleseed Facebook page frequently.

Gary

sgtrock

As for Civisoldier

You are an Outstanding Lady, and I was proud to have you on my line in Pennsylvania last year,,, I appreciate the work you put into all the things you do,,,, plus raising an awareness of what can be done in these times we are in,,,
Thank you for help with the debacle in the state north of you, as soon as I can I will be on a PA range again,,,,

Thank you to all the PA instructors I have had a chance to work with, and the folks I have met on the ranges that I have been to,,,,
This fight is far from over, it will get bigger as soon as the national laws hit the streets from DC,,, we need to hang in there and do what we can with what ever we have, make plans, follow through with them,,, Calls, emails, snail mail, whatever,,,

Fight for Liberty,,, once its gone,,, theres no getting it back,,, how ever you folks choose to attack this, be it through Appleseed or any other avenue just keep it up and never surrender, I would rather die standing,  than live on my knees,,

Steve Stoner aka sgtrock

CiviSoldier

Article 2 - NY Criminal Procedure Law
http://ypdcrime.com/cpl/article2.htm#c2.20
Section 400 Penal Law
http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article400.htm#p400.00

Ok, jeez, I could never be a lawyer.... Reading this stuff  %). It's long,and gets specific to counties too.
It seems even if the Sheriff could deputize, that their employees would have to fulfill a training requirement which would be provided by the employer and carry only an issued sidearm.  This is the case in PA as well from our conversations with our chief.  It is very general as to what laws they are required to enforce, so that warrants a closer look. 

I would keep an eye on the Penal Law link.  Sections 400.02 and 400.03 are there but no text yet available pertaining to Statewide license and record database related to firearms, and sellers of ammunition, respectively.

Wish I had better news...  There is always the choice of going Galt.  :))
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far

CiviSoldier

Quote from: sgtrock on January 16, 2013, 07:21:41 PM
As for Civisoldier

You are an Outstanding Lady, and I was proud to have you on my line in Pennsylvania last year,,, I appreciate the work you put into all the things you do,,,, plus raising an awareness of what can be done in these times we are in,,,
Thank you for help with the debacle in the state north of you, as soon as I can I will be on a PA range again,,,,

Thank you to all the PA instructors I have had a chance to work with, and the folks I have met on the ranges that I have been to,,,,
This fight is far from over, it will get bigger as soon as the national laws hit the streets from DC,,, we need to hang in there and do what we can with what ever we have, make plans, follow through with them,,, Calls, emails, snail mail, whatever,,,

Fight for Liberty,,, once its gone,,, theres no getting it back,,, how ever you folks choose to attack this, be it through Appleseed or any other avenue just keep it up and never surrender, I would rather die standing,  than live on my knees,,

Steve Stoner aka sgtrock

We look forward to having you here again in the Commonwealth!  Until then, we are all in this together, and I help out where I can and when I can.  I will continue to be as much of a beacon of hope as I can and continue to trust in what is to come, as well as in The People.  @)
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far

LittleMo

FYI....

Assembly members that voted FOR the SAFE law.
(source: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=S02230&term=2013&Summary=Y&Votes=Y )

Abbate, Abinanti, Arroyo, Aubry, Barrett, Barron, Benedetto, Boyland, Braunstein, Brennan, Bronson, Brook-Krasny, Buchwald, Cahill, Camara,
Castro, Clark, Colton, Cook, Curran, Cusick, Cymbrowitz, DenDekker,
Dinowitz, Englebright, Espinal, Fahy, Farrell, Galef, Gantt, Gibson,
Gjonaj, Glick, Goldfeder, Gottfried, Heastie, Hennessey, Hevesi,
Hikind, Hooper, Jacobs, Jaffee, Kavanagh, Kellner, Kim, Lavine,
Lentol, Lifton, Lopez (Vito), Losquadro, Lupinacci, Magnarelli,
Maisel, Malliotakis, Markey, Mayer, McDonald, McDonough, McKevitt,
Miller, Millman, Morelle, Mosley, Moya, Nolan, O'Donnell, Ortiz,
Otis, Paulin, Peoples-Stokes, Perry, Pretlow, Quart, Ra, Ramos,
Roberts, Robinson, Rodriguez, Rosa, Rosenthal, Rozic, Russell,
Ryan, Santabarbara, Scarborough, Schimel, Sepulveda, Silver,
Simanowitz, Simotas, Skartados, Solages, Steck, Stevenson,
Stirpe, Sweeney, Thiele. Titone, Titus, Weinstein, Weisenberg,
Weprin, Wright, Zebrowski

State senators that voted FOR the SAFE law:
(source - http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013)

Adams, Addabbo, Avella, Boyle, Breslin, Carlucci, Diaz, Dilan, Espaillat, Felder, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gianaris, Gipson, Golden, Grisanti, Hannon, Hassell-Thomps, Hoylman, Kennedy, Klein, Krueger, Lanza, Latimer, LaValle, Marcellino, Martins, Montgomery, O'Brien, Parker, Peralta, Perkins, Rivera, Sampson, Sanders, Savino, Serrano, Skelos, Smith, Squadron, Stavisky, Stewart-Cousin, Valesky

The above links also show the members that voted against this bill. (There are very few.)

Gary

LittleMo

Dude

Thanks,, LittleMo--keep up the great work.

Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

The Mrs.

Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

LittleMo

Another D.O.M.

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

LittleMo

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have removed this post from here and from my Facebook.

Gary

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on February 07, 2013, 11:16:00 AM
Quote from: LittleMo on February 07, 2013, 02:49:15 AMAn online petition...

http://www.nagr.org/obama_gun_control.aspx?pid=7a
Be VERY careful here!  http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=446542.  The termites seem to be coming out of the woodwork...