News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Flash Report! Montana!

Started by Fred, June 23, 2007, 04:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

[Fred is filing this report on behalf of Guy, who's out on the line as this is posted:]

Montana! What can you say? Truly, Land of the Big Sky!

Beautiful day, beautiful range, beautiful people! (The last meant in a manly way, of course! :))

Right now, it's 1:20 PM, Mountain Time.

Lunch is over, and we they're all working on Ball and Dummy Drill.

Sure, by now, it's almost rote - the Sat schedule, that is.

Start with the Redcoat target, no sighters, no instruction, no nothing!

Everyone gets a cold bucket of water splashed in their faces when they walk down to the targets. (Little do they know they're only minutes away from the "Talking Targets" portion of the instruction, where they hear that the targets, unlike their friends, never lie...)

Then, it's some talk about how the boys on April 19, '75 learned to use their firearms, and as Americans, they should expect to become part of that tradition. Otherwise, we'll take up their rifles, and issue them flintlocks, as they won't notice the difference downrange, on the targets - which is where it counts!

But, they're at an Appleseed, to learn to shoot their rifles. They're gonna try, before the end of their Appleseed experience, to become at least "300-yd shooters" - and be sent home with the admonition to keep at it - to persist! - until they are "500-yd shooters".

Next comes Six Steps, prob with sling and position checkpoints thrown in, to see who will sink, and who can swim. Like, as one instructor said, trying to drink from a fire hose - or a fire hydrant!

Five-round sighter groups make up the rest of the morning, working on "the basics".

Along the way, in case they don't think they know enough yet, we hit them with NPOA and "Inches, minutes, clicks"...

Makes for a VERY full morning.

A short lunch break - did Guy repeat the Wabash experience, and give them the Story of April 19 - at lunch?

We'll have to be in suspense until he weighs in, with an on-the-spot, on-the-scene report. ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

The Guy

Why is the whole country nicer than Illinois?

Kool-Aid (aka Bobby Shaftoe) is here with me, and we are seeing how they do things here.

About the same as everywhere else, but the students here seem to be coming along well, considering the innitial showings.  End of day QDAQT went well, with 1 Rifleman score, a M1A posting 222.  Had a couple of "youth", under 21 anyway, hitting in the 180s, having very little experience prior.  2 kids alo getting a good start (younger being 11) with AR's and nicer LBE than I could ever afford (what a great Dad they have!!).  A few more potatoes, and they will be Riflemen in every sense of the word.

Men, besure to get your wife that colapseable buttstock, because it will fit her soooo much better.  LOL  The couple in reference actually have this item on order.  I know her standing scores will improve when her eye is actually less than 4-5 inches from her sight.

This has been a fun group as well.  Just like any Appleseed, it is full of good folk you could sit down and eat a meal with.  And we just did.  Some great steaks round these parts.....

The range is very nice, and has an "addopt a bay" program.  You are reponsible for your "own" bay, get your name on a nice sign, and the range is kept clean looking.  No remains of tv's, cars, stoves, beer bottles, junk, crap, and the fotsam and jetsam that seem to show up in many other shooting ranges and areas.  Nice place, and they keep it that way!

We had several Redcoats that were cleared out at 400 thi morning, first thing.  NICE.  Alway a good way to start the morning.  One of the first sighter groups was 5 rounds in less than 1 inch.  NICE.  The shooters listened well, and participated like old hands.  I am really looking to getting at least 3 to 4  more Riflemen tommorrow.  And the 2 "youths" hitting in the 180's won't be there....

So why is The Guy predicting such good things?  Well, I am going to get out there early, or stay late, and beat Kool-Aid untill he nails that dang 210, and heck, by then I will be 1/4 the way there!

And the of the rest, oooh, some are so close.....   NPOA and some dry fire practice all the way around is what the doctor ordered, with a stirring in of ome GOOD GI SLINGS!!  LOL

Thanks to George for helping to set up "his" bay for us, and thanks to Mark for doing his part in getting this going.  Things look well for our repeat performance in September, and I say we could almost take the orders here and now, but I think we will need a slightly wider range to accomidate the noobs and returnees.

Fred got the rest right.  Started the AM off with Paul Revere's Ride and the early morning hours prior to the day's festivities that occured on 19 Apr, 1775.  The rest of the story they got at the end of the day, sitting in the shade, drinking water like it was going to be illegal in the morning....

A bit hot, not terrible.  You know, a DRY heat    ::)

I can't wait till morning....

The Guy

PS  Thanks to Kool-Aid for spotting me an M1A, "MINERVA", because I had to fly.......   What a buddy!!

The Guy

I am continually amazed by the quality of the people attracted to this program.

17 shooters.

6 Rifleman scores.

The Jolly Brothers (named by Kool-Aid of course), Mark and Ron.  George, and Wingnut.  Bawb (LOL, how he spelled it!) and Ted.

Just over 34% for the weekend.  GoGoAppleseed.

Shot a LOT of QDAQT's today, along with some sighter squares and a bit of ball and dummy in the early AM.

This is a good part of the country to be in, pretty scenery, nice folks, good range.

Why do I still live in Illinois(ucks)?  -sigh-

I am at a loss for words to discribe the good time I had this weekend.  Birdman, I'm SOOOOO glad you got sick.... ;D

September will be one he....ck of a good time when we come back.  George assured the range and date were open and ready for our return engagement.

The shooters here seemed to have a good handle on the 7th step, and I anticipate a growth in our western program.

Kool-Aid and I also visited a BEAU-TI-FULL place for a RBC.  With at least 1000 yards for some looooong shooting.

8)

There was improvement all weekend, and I must say these shooters kept me on my toes, as they asked intelegent questions, listened well, and PARTICIPATED.

I am so proud of them all.

Thank you all for making this such a good shoot.

And for making 2 Guys from out of state feel so welcome.

Appleseed is alive and well in western Montana.

The Sunburned But Happy Guy

PS, thanks to Krissie (Ted's wife) for feeding us!  Sorry if I blotched the spelling..... ::)

kool aid

Hard to add to Guy's post..... He has furthered himself through his participation in the program. Growing into pretty complete package instructor wise and human being wise. To borrow from a long dead Oriental Philosopher:
APPLESEED FURTHERS!

It was medicine for my soul to get to hang out with my RBC II brother. I shudder to think what 3 or 4 of us might have been capable of in the camradarie departmet. Where are Silence and Elmo when you need them?

But I digress.

I might proffer this: The program is sound. The points of intruction are sound, the 'big idea' is something that is easy for folks to grasp and get behind, and (speaking for myself) the worst day shooting beats the best day fishing any day- even in the big sky country. I find it even sweeter that this thing is bigger than any one of us. Principals before personalities.

That guy from illinois is pretty good company, too. Does a frightining Fred impersonation. I guess my stock went up when he met my M1A 'minerva' (he haveing only seen me with an AR15 previous). I guess we must be brothers if I let him SLEEP WITH MY RIFLE (loaded no less). I was tempted to give him only one bullet, but, well, anyway..............

Meanwhile, home home  on the range...... My kingdom for a Shooting Jacket!!!!!!!!

I spent the morning (Monday- post shoot) with an old friend who runs an outdoor skills school right there in Bozeman, explaining the program and what we are up to, and trying to get a tie in for recrutment purposes. Left a nice stack of the double folded cards with the 1" squares and the new website written in with a fountain pen. The same one I scored my targets with....... going for that colonial flavor......She and her husband are pretty formidable.

With a self inflicted black eye (gotta get that cheek weld better) I hit the road home and: Got lost, got a nice fat speeding ticket, and saw  South African 762 for TEN DOLLARS A BOX!!!! (gasp!)  >:(
I am determined to either fix up a Dragonov or get my 10/22 situation squared away. I finally put the tech sights on the old beat up 10/22 I've had forever, and then passed it around for any and all to put a mag or two through. Easy to be generous with the 22 LR ammo. I think we had about 9 converts to the 'small bore is beautiful' camp. While I dearly love Minerva, she is expensive to run.

Overall, I am impressed with the calibre of folk who showed up. I am thankful to have made new friends and had a fresh crop of guys who have not heard my old, raggedy jokes  ::) .  I see now that once you break into a new area the pull to come back is driven as much by passon for the program as by just wanting to see that guy who ALMOST hit 210 get over the hump and do it. If at all possible, plan on seeing me in September.

Now for the Vinager: Mea Culpa it took me six months between boot camp and my first appleseed.

Perhaps we should considar the guy's been doing WAY more than his share, and honor our deminimus commitments as instructors. I mean it was nice to see him and all, but I felt that twinge of regret that someone had to pick up my slack. So look for my Hawaiian shirt at any and all western shoots this year that don't conflict with bootcamps. I have recieved much and am proud to be a part of this. So.............. Who else?

One of The brothers jolly (as oppoed to the Brothers Grimm or even Karamozov) jumped in and called the line like a champ. I really was impressed with those guys......

PS
I heard Fred does a pretty good Guy impression too........

With Gratitude
Kool aid (AKA Bobby Shaftoe)

Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

Nickle

kool-aid, definitely get a Romanian Dragunov. I have one, I like it. (And don't worry about getting ribbed as an "AR Guy", they do it to me, too.)

Sounds like MT was a good time had by all.

6 for 17, sounds like we just keep seeing better and better all the time.

Well done, gents.

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Scout

There is nothing better than reading a good AAR. (other than writing one I suppose) You folks are doing a great job. You sure have my respect Guy for knocking them down one after the other. I told my family that I will be doing at least one a month as soon as I get my "dousing". Thanks Guy and koolaid and others.
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Junior Birdman

Yes, Birdman Fans, the Birdman survived his illness of late, and while he is still a mite bent from the fight, he is on the mend.

But more than anything, the Birdman is JUST TICKLED PINK with the actions and progress shown by his brothers in the cause!!!

It was with heavy heart and admitted shame that I had to call on others to stand in the breech for me last week. But once I did, they sprang into action, and the results were amazing.  With the barest minimum of notice, an Appleseed was salvaged from loss, and was a great success!   If there is any doubt as to the kind of brothers who make up this band, let that doubt die here and now. I have seen for myself what kind of people make up this project.

I only regret that I did not get to have all the fun out there in MT myself!  I missed seeing my brothers from the Jackson Hole shoot, but I know we'll see them again soon too. Congrats on a great shoot fellows, and my deepest thanks for stepping up when needed!    JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

RifleWoman

Glad you are back with us birdman, and among the living.  ;D

Yep! the Guy pulled off MT in style.  Good job everybody for pulling  together and making this program work.   ;D
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Shootimus Maximus

Howdy all,

I was a participant at the Montana shoot and I just wanted to thank all of the people involved for getting this thing going.

The instructor, Guy, was highly professional and represented RWVA very well, as did his (semi/unofficial) partner, Kool-Aid.... (Whom if or when he decides qualify and become an instructor will do a good job)

All in all a great program and since I am feet on the ground in the area don't anyone hesitate to contact me for information or to help with posting flyers, etc. for upcoming shoots.

TED

The Guy

Good to have you Ted.

Been thinking about MT a bit....

Bootcamp in the spring?

Hmmmmm.....

Anyone know of a good location? ::)