News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rockers

Started by colycat, July 24, 2008, 08:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colycat

California is getting its own rocker.  This is an arc that reads California and is attached over the RWVA oval on your shooting jacket.  Since the midwest does not have the number of Riflemen to justify state by state rockers, ( YET ) would anyone be interested in a Great Lakes Region rocker?

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

VAshooter

The North Carolina rocker could just say "Carolina" thereby making South Carolina feel better.

VAshooter

colycat

VA,

I really do not want to make South Carolina feel any better about themselves. HA.

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

techres

Do you have a riflemen per state link or post?  I am very curious.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

colycat

I don,t think the question have ever been asked.  The volunteers have a big job just keeping up with the shoots and instructors.

Good question though

Coly

Do you think there could be a few hundred rifleman in Indiana?  I would rather have ever state have their own rocker.

techres

I am from Indiana and would love one for Indiana.  I would be surprised if we did not have at least as many as California.  If we didn't, then I would have to add that to my presentation.  That would really upset the Hoosiers I know...  ;)

Seriously, I think state by state is the best way.  Just my two cents worth.

colycat

thanks, this is what I need.

colycat

This is from Fred,

Decision on rockers is not made on cost but on the future outlook for a particular state.

I ordered ONE THOUSAND "CALIFORNIA" rockers (don't tell the Texans!) but laid the challenge on them - 100 rifleman in the next year, or else whatever rockers remain go to a NC landfill...

They will, like all Americans, have to "measure up" - as J. Papineau said, "it's something you earn..."

The Californians convinced me they could do it, even if the challenge I shot back to them was unexpected, to say the least.

You guys want a rocker? Convince me there's gonna be a need for a LOT of them in your state, and you'll get 'em...

Appleseed - don't you love it?

techres

First let me say that I am only a new IIT, but given the following we should well be able to pull of 100 riflemen in 2009:

One shoot per month from March-December with 2 "second site" months (April 19-20 + Constitution Day) and we have 12 total shoots.

If we average 55 students per shoot on average that makes 660 attendees. Currently I understand the average rate of riflemen to shooters at every even to be 10-15%*.  That would need to rise to 17%.  Do the math and 660 @ 17% produces 112 riflemen.

These are not crazy, pie in the sky goals.  Look at 2008 vs 2007 Calendars:

2007 - 2 Appleseeds + 1 Mini Shoot
2008 - 6 Appleseeds (+1 Potential Mini Shot)

That is a tripling of events from 2007 to 2008, and to do 12 in 2009 is only a doubling in effort!

Raising the 10-15% averaging of Riflemen in 2007/2008 (from anecdotal evidence) to 17% is not Fred's goal of doubling, but only raising the bar by 50-70%!  And, frankly, this may be improved simply by encouraging more women shooters as Fred has done for the remainder of 2008.

The keys to success include:  loaner & sales slings at every event, increased women participation, and ever larger in-state training corps, and pre-2009 scheduling (setting sites and dates now for next year) so that we spend more time drumming up attendees and less scrambling for locations.

Indiana historically has had some enormous turnouts, especially in the Evansville area.  Indiana has a fast growing training corps and is beginning to be self-sufficient for shoots.  Indiana is a solid red state that has a strong libertarian strain that makes it a very ripe place for the Appleseed message.  Even the liberal areas of the state end up being Ron Paul hotbeds! 

This state not only solid for Appleseed, it is ripe for expansion.

Can Indiana do 100 in 2009?  You bet! 

Bill of Rights

Good thought. I made a score of 204 at my first AS and a week later at usafe7ret's mini-Appleseed, I scored a 207. In both cases, I had small things that prevented me from earning that score. I will likely not be able to attend another AS in 2008, but I WILL earn my Rifleman in 2009. Count me in and I'll take the first IN rocker.

Blessings,
B
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

SilentWarrior1

Not before I do, Bill.  ;D

I really got the itch the last Appleseed. I want the Patch, and the tab.

Now comes the training time.

Mudcat

I can take 2 here in this household with 1 maybe 2 more next year. I believe 100 is a reasonable goal. With more Riflemen, IITs and instructors the more the word gets out. Plus I am sure I will help others that I bring to be more prepared for their first Appleseed. Kind of like I did with my son friday before DWII. With just a little pre instruction (mini Appleseed), range time and having the correct equipment will improve the ratio greatly.

By the way a little off topic. Where can we get the RWVA patches that most of the instructors have? I haven't seen anything about them.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

colycat

Thanks guys and gals for keeping this thread alive. I think 100 rifleman scores in Indiana should be enough for a rocker.  Keep up the good work 8) 8) 8)  I may have to go to your fine state and shoot, so I can have a rocker from somewhere. ;D

Colycat

SavageShootr

Hey colycat

We will always welcome you back to California. And we have Rockers. ;D

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

slim

Quote from: Mudcat on November 12, 2008, 06:48:21 PM
By the way a little off topic. Where can we get the RWVA patches that most of the instructors have? I haven't seen anything about them.

Sometimes the SCs have them (hawkhavn) sometimes you can get them at an event, sometimes an RBC/IBC and if all that fails, you can send RifleWoman a PM, an SASE, and a check for $5 and she'll send one to you in the mail.

The rockers... still waiting!

Bill of Rights

Quote from: SilentWarrior1 on November 12, 2008, 04:11:53 PM
Not before I do, Bill.  ;D

I really got the itch the last Appleseed. I want the Patch, and the tab.

Now comes the training time.

I love a challenge, SW1. Brought home my Orange Hat today. What's the good word?

And how many new Rifleman scores have we managed in IN so far this year? I'm looking to help keep techres' promise and get us a rocker. Need to order a shooting jacket and get a patch from Hawkhavn, too.

Blessings,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams