News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Why aren't you a member of the NRA and your stat assosiation?

Started by 2 clicks low, December 22, 2012, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 clicks low

Appleseed is non-political. It needs to be for it's mission.

Pardon my  :sb:

As gun owners we need to support our political brethren at this point in time. Now is the time. If you are not a member of:

NRA
2nd Amendment Foundation
Your State Rifle Assn.
. . .

you need to join NOW. If you are a member how about a donation. Cup of coffee = $2. Change in car seat = $1. Brown-bag lunch once = $5.....

This can not wait. To paraphrase Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanual: Never let a good crisis pass, it will let you do things that you could not otherwise do.   

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Topgear

I'll admit that I was a slacker and just put it off too long.  A few nights ago I finally kicked myself hard enough and threw in for a two year membership to NRA and ISRA.  You're right though, the time to procrastinate is long over.  The time is now.  I'm disappointed in myself for waiting this long.
The whole body suffers for what the dumb mind does.

2 clicks low

Quote from: Topgear on December 22, 2012, 06:06:55 PM
I'll admit that I was a slacker and just put it off too long.  A few nights ago I finally kicked myself hard enough and threw in for a two year membership to NRA and ISRA.  You're right though, the time to procrastinate is long over.  The time is now.  I'm disappointed in myself for waiting this long.

Thank you Sir.

Who's next. No waiting.

EZ3

I agree with your sentiment, but not your target.   Have been a member of the NRA for many years, and also an NRA-certified instructor.  While I will continue to instruct, I will not be renewing my membership when it expires in March.

My dissatisfaction began in the 1990's, with the NRA spearheading the push for the PICS (Pennsylvania Instant Check System), which has been a political tool of the anti-gunners ever since.  If there is a major gun show in the state, you can pretty much count on PICS to be "down".  It is redundant and unnecessary, since the implementation of NICS, but the NRA refuses to support efforts to do away with this boondoggle.

The NRA supported Arlen Specter over Pat Toomey, and Bob Casey over Tom Smith in the last two senatorial elections.  In both cases it was supporting incumbents with "C" or "D" ratings from Gun Owners of America and Firearms Owners Against Crime (state 2nd Amendment group) over "A" ratings. 

So, for me, that's "three strikes, you're OUT!"  I will continue to pursue their original mission - education, but I will reserve my financial support for groups that are part of the solution, not part of the problem.  The NRA bigwigs have just been in Washington too long.   
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

2 clicks low

EZ3,

How about Gun Owners of America?
JPFO?
2nd Amendment Foundation?
State Assn?

They need help too.

2cl

EZ3

Absolutely!  The way I figure it, dropping the NRA just frees up more money to support GOA and FOAC.  They don't compromise their 2nd Amendment stance for political expediency. 

Josey Wales

..I put my money where my mouth is..  NRA National Rifle Associasion, NYSRPA New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, GOA Gun Owners Of America, S.C.O.P.E. Shooters Committee on Political Education, RWVA Revolutioary War Veterans Association.  They are all important, join and support ranges too, Indian Lake/Blue Mountain Fish and Game, Burlington Flats Fish and Game, Westside Rifle & Pistol Range. We must always support them all.  We must Unite our forces always, get bigger and stronger.  Do not divide just support.  If you want to debate all the details we shall not survive these times..

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Johnnyappleseed

The old saying is you only catch flack when your close to the target .
NRA is not perfect ,many of us have had disagreements with some policy's in the past .

However to publicly bash them does not help our cause . I would humbly suggest If you have nothing positive to say about this 4 million member group you hold your comments .

The NRA is under severe attack as the following story indicates.http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/12/22/Protestors-Target-Hotels-That-Give-Discounts-To-NRA-Members

As a voting member of the NRA this attack is directed at me personally. I am giving NRA memberships for Christmas and will renew them every year .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Josey Wales

..Join or Die..

..We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

2 clicks low

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on December 23, 2012, 01:50:18 AM
I am giving NRA memberships for Christmas and will renew them every year .

Great idea. What better stocking stuffer?
2cl

TimBeatty

I just got my mom a Gift Membership to the NRA for Christmas.
Tim Beatty

EZ3

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on December 23, 2012, 01:50:18 AM

However to publicly bash them does not help our cause . I would humbly suggest If you have nothing positive to say about this 4 million member group you hold your comments .

"To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly." - B. Franklin

olefido

I will be renewing my NRA membership when I get paid at the end of the month next monday. I had let my membership lapse several years ago, but now I think it's time to get it going again.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

2 clicks low

!@#)
Take your bickering somewhere else.
Better yet STOP IT!

We have a crisis here, HELLO!

You don't like the NRA, support GOA. It is NOT THE TIME to be bashing each other, justified or not. Everything could change very soon and very badly, and you want to have a pissing contest?????

How about we try to present a UNITED FRONT? Why don't we spend the time and electrons convincing our representatives? And get everyone we know to do the same?

Any questions?

EZ3

Quote from: 2 clicks low on December 23, 2012, 11:25:52 AM
!@#)

Any questions?

Yes, I have two.

1)  Isn't this a discussion forum?

2)  Didn't the OP ask "Why aren't you...?"

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: EZ3 on December 23, 2012, 11:45:01 AM
Quote from: 2 clicks low on December 23, 2012, 11:25:52 AM
!@#)

Any questions?

Yes, I have two.

1)  Isn't this a discussion forum?

2)  Didn't the OP ask "Why aren't you...?"

I believe the OP intended the question as a rhetorical question ,similar to is the line ready.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

2 clicks low

Yes it is a discussion forum.
Yes it was a rhetorical question.
No, this thread certainly isn't helping.
Yes, I am really regretting starting it.

:'(

2 clicks low

EZ3

No harm done.  In the end we've done a great job of demonstrating why Appleseed should be "non-political". 

And as we continue to succeed in our mission, our ranks will continue to become more diverse in their politics.  When we've won enough hearts and minds to win this battle, we can pop the top on a couple cold ones and talk politics while those who would oppress us lick their wounds and regroup.

Anybody have a spare bucket?

RedFox24

I put aside my differences with the NRA and ISRA four years ago.  A united voice is better than several small voices, one loud squeaky wheel gets the grease faster than several smaller ones that you cant hear. 

I am a member of the Farm Bureau not because I agree with everything they say or do but because they are a united voice for us farmers and have the means and materials to reach the people in places that count that I cant. 

I am a member of Project Appleseed not because I agree with everything that is said or done or changed or not changed but because it is an organization that united gets the message out and passes out buckets for everyone to help bail with. 

As I have read this thread and listened to the gun shop commandos as of late I have to shake my head because I can almost hear what Capt Parkers men COULD have sounded like that night had they been like US then, as they assembled after Revere alerted them:  Gee Wiz, its late can we do this tomorrow?  The Redcoats are not coming, our scouts haven't returned.  I dont like Revere he always running around shouting stuff that never happens.  Adams and Handcock and the rest of those guys, they never represent us the way I want, I dont know why I am here.  Lets go in the tavern and talk about this, it will go away by morning.  And on and on and on............  sound familiar in any way?

Then shortly before dawn, Parker sends another rider down the road to Boston. That rider comes back minutes later sounding the alarm that a British column of hundreds of Redcoats is only a mile down the road, and coming fast! 

Parker orders the muster drum to beat - and about half his unit , one half -  are present as the sun comes up.

Present and Accounted For Sir!

Hand me a bucket!

NRA Life Member
ISRA Life Member
Project Appleseed IIT
"Preparedness is not an event.  It's a continuous process." 
Dr. Julie Gerberding, Director, CDC

RODGE

I just renewed my annual membership to Iowa Gun Owners and will renew my longstanding NRA membership soon, as it is due in January.  NAGR hasn't been mentioned here.  Any thoughts?  I get an email from them fairly regularly.  Don't regret starting this thread, as it does raise awareness.  It's another way to bail!  I need a bigger bucket!Gonna write both Ia US Senators in the morning even though I know I'll just get the usual form letter B.S. from one of them.  He has the usual form letters for whatever topic you spout off about.  I've heard many times that they, (people u write to), consider there are about a 100 more constituents out there for every one that they hear from who are thinking the same way as you.  I used to think that it didn't matter if I wrote or not.  WRONG.  It matters and it does change things.  Let's bail faster!  I'd stay in NY if that's where I lived.  You can be more effective being closer to the problems, the governor could just be blowing smoke.  He's sure knows how.  I'm trying to decide what to cover the tailgate of my truck with.  It's parked on mainstreet everyday, right across from the safety center and fire departments, but a lot of traffic goes by it.  Suggestions?  I'm thinking about senator and representative contact info!
What we allow is what will continue!

What have you done for LIBERTY today?

TimBeatty

NAGR (National Association for Gun Rights) is a scam. Don't give them anything. That's why its not mentioned.
Tim Beatty

TaosGlock

NRA GOA all the way. Also a member of the NRA WC in Raton.
Soon to be NRA Rifle Certified.
NRA instructors are great to network with and will readily 7th step for us.
They know how exacting our POI is and respect that.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

TimBeatty

The American Hunters and Shooters Association is another scam formed by anti-gun liberals.
Tim Beatty

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: timbeatty on December 23, 2012, 10:02:51 PM
The American Hunters and Shooters Association is another scam formed by anti-gun liberals.

Yes! The group mentioned above was created by anti gun people .

Tom Gresham www.guntalk.com is offering a $10 dollar discount on NRA membership through his website www.guntalk.com!
As good of offer as that it is ! It gets even better ! Tom has said he will donate $10 for every membership purchased to the 2nd amendment foundation .As everyone knows this group won the Heller case led by atty Alan Gura . sp.

Calvin Coolidge