News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Schools Teaching Boston Tea Party As Terrorist Act

Started by Edheler, November 26, 2012, 04:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

Not that disturbing.  This is done in the same vein as the "news release" that used to be included in the Rifleman's guide that Fred used to sell (is it still included?) that reported the events of April 19 as today's media might frame it - referring to the colonists as "right-wing extremist tax protestors" and "paramilitary militia groups," etc., buzz-worded so that the reader might think it to be a current event, up until you get to the last sentence that talks about arrest warrants being issued for ringleaders Samual Adams, John Hancock, etc.  I know it's online somewhere, someone else might have a link.

Framing the event as it might be construed today is provacative but drives a good point home.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

AdamSelene

Sounds like sensationalistic journalism to me.  It presents no evidence that a texas school is teaching that the Boston Tea Party as an act of terrorism.  If this is evidence than War of The Worlds is evidence of an alien invasion.
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.           -Plato

Guardian

Remember when protesting got labeled as "low level terrorism" a few years ago within our government? It's odd to me that the very people that protested the Vietnam conflict in earnest are the ones labeling protests as such. Just another indicator of the hypocrisy within our government.

Back to the specific topic: The Brits viewed the tea party and other acts as terrorism at the time. They used the term "Rebel" instead of "Terrorist", but the gist is the same.

reb·el/ˈrebəl/
Noun:   
A person who rises in armed resistance against an established government or ruler.

ter·ror·ist/ˈterərist/
Noun:   
A person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.

ter·ror·ism/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun:   
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

The current definitions of these terms, obtained from a dictionary, are not that different.

The difference, in my opinion, is that we used to be proud that we were a nation of individuals! Yes, our country's roots were established using terrorism; and it was generally acknowledged that we (typical Americans) would do it again if necessary. I believe that was the intent of the founding fathers, that the threat of terrorism be forever present within our nation to maintain control of the government. Now, conformity is the preference.

The problem is that the media (which practices terrorism itself using intimidation/fear) has more narrowly defined the term "terrorism" and that narrow definition is what jumps into the heads of Joe Q. Public (JQP). It also depends on what the popular idea is at the time.

My point is, terrorism has a particularly bad connotation because of it's recent use **and is a matter of perspective**; but it is an accurate description of the acts the forefathers performed **from the perspective of the British. From our perspective, it was an act of patriotism**. I am thankful and proud of them for having the gumption to perform those acts, knowing what was at stake. Would JQP do the same today?

Guardian

**EDITED 28NOV12**

slim

What's disturbing is less than 40% of Texans can make three shots on a man-sized target at 100 yards with a rack grade rifle and surplus ball ammo. 

Sounds like we've got some Seedin to do!

wcmartin1

Quote from: slim on November 27, 2012, 07:37:11 PM
What's disturbing is less than 40% of Texans can make three shots on a man-sized target at 100 yards with a rack grade rifle and surplus ball ammo. 

**)

Well, by God, Slim!  Come on down here and show us how it's done, pard!  ~~:)

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Two Wolves

Quote from: slim on November 27, 2012, 07:37:11 PM

Okay Slim, let's talk  @@) numbers my friend.
Let's assume that 40% of Ohionites and 40% of Texans could shoot the 100yd target.

Texas population= 25,674,681 x 40%= 10,269,872
Ohio   population= 11,544,951 x 40%=   4,617,980

The difference between Texas and Ohio is-5,651,892

So, more than twice as many Texans can shoot the 100yd target as the Ohionites.  **)
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

RODGE

Some of us are already off track of the thread subject matter.  I've been seriously called a terriorist after explaining about Appleseeding.  "You teach kids to shoot! Terrorist."  Yes, I do.  AND I help teach them American Heritage.  It seems to me we are beginning to 'split hairs', trying to explain the definition of terrorism.  Guardian is correct.  By definition, we're probably all terrorists.  So be it.  I'm gonna keep bailing.  The ship isn't gonna right itself.  It needs our help.
What we allow is what will continue!

What have you done for LIBERTY today?

Guardian

Rodge,
     I probably didn't covey my thought appropriately. I don't completely agree with:

QuoteBy definition, we're probably all terrorists.

Teaching someone to shoot doesn't make you a terrorist.
Teaching someone to shoot, and that person using the skills you taught to perform terrorism still doesn't make you a terrorist.
We are each responsible for our own actions.

The forefathers certainly performed an act of terrorism at the time, but it is a matter of perspective. To the Brits, it was terrorism. From our perspective, it was Patriotism. I will revise my previous post to better reflect my thought. My apologies.

floydf

Quote from: Two Wolves on November 28, 2012, 01:16:44 AM
So, more than twice as many Texans can shoot the 100yd target as the Ohionites.  **)

Of course, the 100 yd target is twice as big down here in Texas.  'Cause everything is. :)
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

GEmanuel

I recall hearing, though I can not attribute the saying, "One Mans' terrorist, is anothers freedom fighter" So yes, perspective has consequences  :slap:
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

Johnnyappleseed

Three  main areas of concern for me are,
1 the poorly written inaccurate spin job ,done by  the 5 column CBS Houston . CBS has a news dept with less credibility than the old soviet Pravda !

The next concern is how too many Americans do not realize how this anti gun ,international propaganda outlet spins nearly every story to fulfill an agenda or to laugh and mock its readers and viewers 

3 the lack of concern that the Texas school districts are violating state law !

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

PHenry

Let's face it - there is nothing so "radical" as  the idea that the common man can determine his own destiny - especially in 1775 when near every human lived under hereditary rule of kings. Men who proclaimed to be chosen by God to rule other men. I would say that this is the essence of the American Revolution.

As to "an act of terrorism" - of course it was. Destroying that which does not belong to you in order to make a political point - what else would a king call it? To us they were Patriots all - High Sons of Liberty, but to the king and the East India Trading Company - they were scoundrels fit only for hanging. The king proclaimed that the people of Boston would pay for the tea they destroyed, or starve to death.

The victor writes the history books and thanks therefore to the Creator, most of ours show the BTP as a righteous act of rebellion against a bloody tyrant. However, I must say that the "great experiment" has long been in danger of failing and that we are nearing our end as a nation. Tempus Fugit my fellow Liberty Lovers!

IMHO, Appleseeds is our best hope for salvation and in order for Appleseeds to succeed, there are three areas of concern that must be attended to with vigor and alacrity. They are as follows:

Venues - secure and schedule
Promo - get the word out
Staffing - creating good staff for events

I cannot see anything else as worthy of any significant attention and I cannot imagine a more worthy cause than to pass on Liberty to my sweet granddaughter, as it were passed on to me by thems  that came before me.

I do NOT seek to belittle the concerns delineated in this post, as they are certainly valid. I merely wonder if there might be a more effective way to fight agin the rising tide. Railing against that over which we have no control is exhausting and worse - futile. Better to do something tiny that is positive and makes a measurable difference - no matter how little, than to spend countless hours "counting the icebergs" in righteous indignation.

Venues, Promo and Staffing.

Please forgive my unsolicited intrusion gentlemen - I truly mean no disrespect.
In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Johnnyappleseed

P Henry
Thank you for your well thought out post and course you are correct .
You may recall some years back I asked  you how  on how you get such a great return on your AS shoots . You kindly and patiently answered my request and I have used much of what you sent me.

I consider you a important mentor to me and my growth within AS .

Possibly I have the wrong idea on this forum . To me it is a modern day committee of correspondence/observation . A place for me to learn and possibly share decades knowledge from a perspective from people far more intelligent and articulate than I .

While nearly every contact in daily life is used for 7th stepping I have a serious concern that some folks in AS could be detrimental to liberty ..

In the past I spoke with a SB couple , she mentioned she and her husband never miss a certain media celebrity( happens is 100 % anti gun)
As expected they are gone ,but one needs to consider how much damage they did unintentionally .

If we expect to win ,we need to think deeper than those who would destroy liberty.

The  above  example of Terrorism could be a learning opportunity ! The question I would pose is how important is it to read the source story before forming an opinion ?

I sincerely mean no disrespect and PH your thoughts are always valuable to me as are those of each of you
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

PHenry

Johnnyappleseed,
Now that you have gracefully prodded my poor memory, yes, I do recall your inquiry and I'm tickled if any of my suggestions bore fruit sir. "Mentor" is hard for me to imagine. I have always felt like the new guy.  Many thanks for your encouraging words.

I can only tell you what I was told long ago, after the blow up of the "original" AS forum. The Appleseeds forum is strictly a working forum for the "business" of Appleseeding. Early on in my "career" as an Appleseeder, I was told that no politics is allowed. I was not to discuss any politician that hasn't been enjoying a dirt nap for at least 200 years. Over time, I have come to see a method to this "madness", both by observation in real time and from associations with my betters here in the program. By my "betters", I speak of people with a superior understanding of Liberty - it's worth and place in our universe. Spend some time in N GA with DrJohn or in FL with Willorith, or if you must, a few days in a hotel room with Fred.  ~~:) (Come to the RBC in Ramseur late next August and I'll tell you some stories).

Politics is like the weather - one day chicken / next day feather. It cannot save us. As Fred once told me - we need "climate change", in the hearts and minds of Americans. The magician succeeds in his art by distraction. He gets his audience to watch one hand, while he works with the other. This, IMHO, is the nature of politics. We vote, we petition, we march and nothing changes. And why would it? Our current crop of elected employees are merely representative of many Americans, in their failure (or refusal) to understand and embrace the ideals of the Founders and the rather obvious hand they had in creating the freest and most prosperous nation the world will ever know.

What ails this once great nation has nothing to do with the media or politicians or legislation. It is become little more than theater, intended to keep the masses distracted and assuaged. Hearts and minds is what we are after, because that's what's wrong. How can a man be expected to revere something he does not value? Liberty means nothing to the man who gets it for free and presumes it to be the default condition of mankind. Liberty, as everyone here knows, is NOT the default condition. It is a precious jewel to guarded with jealous attention.

We need raw numbers in order to make the system function as the Founders intended and we clearly do not have same. We need a significant number of Americans who understand that Liberty is more important than breathing. Only when a man realizes that nothing outranks Liberty, can he be counted upon to defend it against all comers. How best would we attain this lofty goal? I know of no way more efficient than telling the story and teaching riflery, and the sense of self-reliance it brings. I have never seen any system of education more powerful, more compelling than Appleseeds. I have seen it change hearts and minds, and always, always for the better. Politics? Who cares? Will it work on everyone? No, only a small percentage. That's why it is so about the numbers. Numbers of events and number of attendees.

When Fred was writing his "Boris" stories in SGN, he was like me at that time, counting the icebergs. Like me, he was good at it. Heck, he was better as he is smarter, older and more experienced than I am. He slowly found a way to focus his own efforts in a manner that actually did something about what ails this country and God bless him, offered same to me on a miserable day in January of 2007 in a cow pasture in central FL. A few months later I attended a second event with DragonWood as SB and she asked me if I ever considered instructing. I ate red pill and never looked back.

I have since then seen much "repainting of the bailing bucket" and many things "fixed" which were not truly broken. I have seen an endless amount of typing. I understand how and the why, but I also know it takes precious time away from what I know works. Venues, Promo and Staffing. I own a small business and have been forced to learn to spend my meager resources very carefully. Frugality isn't just about money - it can be about time as well - time and effort - precious to our success. Time is fleeting. Fred says if he had started this 20 years ago - we'd be good now, but he was younger and focused on making a living. We are running short of that particular commodity.

I do not suggest frugal use of time because I am oblivious to our peril sir, I urge careful use of resources precisely because I am painfully aware of what's going on. If u PM me, I will send you a link to the English version of Pravda and you may be a bit shocked to see what they are saying about us! If we do not get Americans involved in our system, in great numbers, very quickly, our fate will be sealed and Liberty will fall. The great experiment will be done and the sacrifices of the Founders will have been in vain.

This is a volunteer effort and may God bless every one who has ever given ten minutes to our worthy cause. Each of us is free to use our time as we see fit, as it is, our one and only life. The forum however, is for Appleseeds not for politics. I council all IBC students to visit the forum near daily, but post only on AARs and IAARs. Any other posting leads either to miscommunications that result in bad juju, or at best, wasted time that could have been better spent elsewhere.

I know it's a harsh thing for me to say, but please accept that my aim is true and my heart is in the right place, even if my demeanor is at times abrasive. I hold little patients for anything that doesn't press the mission forward, and it is that impatience that causes me to stick my nose into places it has not been invited.

Years ago, I was telling Fred how hard I was working and he replied that it meant nothing. "PHenry, this is a results-based organization. Only results matter. Only hits count". I was crushed, for about an hour until it gradually came over me. My ego relaxed and I embraced the horror. Fred was spot on. How hard I worked at it meant nothing if I failed to get new venues, promo same and develop instructors. It was true then and it's true now - more so than ever, simply because that was years ago and we are in far worse shape now.

Red car or Blue car for our ride over the cliff? What's the difference. "Government is at best a necessary evil and at its worst, an intolerable one." We don't need to discuss politics - we need to discuss how to get more bodies to more events to hear the story, to create more volunteers, to find more venues, to hold more events, to create more instructors who will repeat and expand same. Our cause is just, our methods must be unimpeachable.

I have not blinded myself to the "icebergs" my compatriot. I still see them on the horizon threatening our already sinking ship. I just ceased counting them in deference to bailing and plugging holes. It's a battle every day, as the "old me" wants to rail agin that over which I have no control and lash out at icebergs. Most often, my Appleseeder gently (or sometimes with terrible force) guides me back to more fruitful pursuits. The two weekends prior to Thanksgiving I ran an  event at a new venue and the following weekend, an IBC. Hearts and minds - one at at time, over and over.

Let go the icebergs. Stay the course. Venues, Promo, & Staffing. When you feel compelled to vent, there are endless forums for that purpose, but I know from personal experience it will do precious little to ease your concerns and even less for what ails our nation.

Please forgive my lengthy diatribe sir and take it in the manner intended, the Appleseeds tradition passed on from one to the next, in the hopes that it continues until Liberty is safe and warm.
PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

RODGE

Thank you, PHenry, for your insight and thoughts.  You of course are absolutely correct about politics, etc.  I'm still fairly new to Appleseeding, so it is with much curiosity and desire to learn more, that I do frequent the forums. It took me far too long to realize there is a lot to learn by reading them, even though you have to sort out the intent sometimes from what the words actually are saying.  In the forums, you see the other side of the coin and others' opinions that one may not have ever considered.  Reading them, makes you think!  But, after all is said and done, venues, promo, and staffing are all that count for anything.  Thank you for repeating that a few times.  I'll remember that phrase and will use it.  It's worthwhile. 
What we allow is what will continue!

What have you done for LIBERTY today?

Johnnyappleseed

Thank You PH !
Your words ring true as your events are always powerful and successfull.

I will put aside my concerns for the element of the 5 column many who do not realize they are part of the problem .  Possibly these folks should be mentored prior to SB job title

I have mistakenly transferred the success of our founders to that of being part of the gun culture,naturally I have projected the gun culture as a foundation for A S success .

Because of your wisdom I will search my  beliefs and alter them accordingly to follow the AS model
Again thank you for your valuable input , your humility does not recognize the help you have personally given me. I am once again grateful to you

Calvin Coolidge

PHenry

My fellow Patriots, you are clearly High Sons of Liberty, working hard for our mission. I completely understand and share your concerns. With the endless and ever increasing barrage of threats agin our Liberty, it's impossible to stay focused on the mission every second of every day.

We all need an occasional nudge. I don't get the paper any more - that helps, and I do my best to avert my eyes when I pass a stand, but the bad news is everywhere (I avoid TV news like the plague). All we can do is our best. Lady Liberty demands are participation, but not perfection, as there is no such aminal on this earth.

I guess the best advice is Fred's old standard - "Never let the perfect become the enemy of the really good" and ya'll are clearly really good.

I hope we meet on the trail one day, where we can stand shoulder to shoulder on the firing line. Until then, keep up the good work and hang in there with faith that the Creator prefers Liberty and will see us through.
In Liberty,
PH

Transform

I don't get the paper any more - that helps, and I do my best to avert my eyes when I pass a stand, but the bad news is everywhere (I avoid TV news like the plague).

It helps a lot to just unplug the thing and put a dust cover over it. Mine is back in the box, buried at the bottom of the closet. I missed it at first, but really don't miss it any longer. Withdrawal pangs, just like any addiction.

Transform

I wrote this yesterday, after reply #14, but put it aside to sleep on it:
Although PHenry nearly said it all, I'd like to add one more thing.

"Speak no ill of a fellow Appleseeder." Not individually, not generally, not of those who have left us, and not even of those who have "unintentionally" done us damage along the way.

I too have "a serious concern that some folks ... could be detrimental to liberty," but that raises the question, who hasn't ever done something detrimental? In a long and sordid life, who doesn't make serious errors along the way?

(Insert something about "casting the first stone" here, if you happen to lean that way. Otherwise try this:)
Think about how many Appleseeders grew up outside of gun culture, and took their first shot at an Appleseed.

It's absolutely true that "we need to think deeper than those who would destroy liberty."
Why?
Because, as no less an authority than Pogo has taught us, "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Or more to the point, "We have met the enemy, and they are ours." said US Navy Commodore Perry in 1813.

Who are those we might sometimes harbor "serious concerns" about?
They are our fellow Americans. Fellow voters. Potential fellow Appleseeders.

Yes, potential fellow Appleseeders.

This bears repeating:
Quote from: PHenry on November 28, 2012, 06:33:35 PM
By my "betters", I speak of people with a superior understanding of Liberty - it's worth and place in our universe.

As Fred once told me - we need "climate change", in the hearts and minds of Americans.

Hearts and minds is what we are after, because that's what's wrong. How can a man be expected to revere something he does not value?

We need a significant number of Americans who understand that Liberty is more important than breathing. Only when a man realizes that nothing outranks Liberty, can he be counted upon to defend it against all comers.

I have never seen any system of education more powerful, more compelling than Appleseeds. I have seen it change hearts and minds, and always, always for the better. Politics? Who cares? Will it work on everyone? No, only a small percentage.

"Only a small percentage." And the truth is that the 6-9 million fellow Americans we need to bail this sinking ship represent less than 3% of the eligible voters in this country. That's why we can still succeed, despite the dire news.

(Just don't fool yourself into thinking we'll ever all agree. Even after we succeed in saving our nation, the majority will probably still be arguing about nothing. Read your history, even our revered Founders squabbled amongst themselves all throughout the Constitutional Convention. That doesn't lessen their accomplishment, actually I think it rather strengthens it.)

Johnnyappleseed

Fred used to send out sight in targets ,side 1 is for  sighting in at 25 and has 1 moa squares and instructions  for obtaining a zero .
Fred ' s humor is also present on side one with the suggestion "ps it will work better if you make extra copies of this before shooting on it "

Side 2 is titled " Wanna Be a Good Gunower?... Wanna Keep your Freedom ?
            The least you can do is the following :
He has 7 things listed beginning with join the NRA .
Ending with cut yourself free from the biased "mainstream media "

The great Dr. Grady of Tennessee used to say " REMBER THE PERSON WHO WANTS TO REGISTER ,RESTRICT,OR CONSFICATE YOUR FIREARM IS YOUR ENEMY "

Not speaking ill of anyAS ,but believe the AS couple who watch Rosie have poor chance of becoming effective in the struggle to further the cause of liberty .

If each of us consider Fred and Dr Grady ,we will have a much better chance of  restoring the freedoms envisioned by the founders .

We do everything on Fred's list ,including not shopping where the merchant has hired a known  anti gunner as a spokesperson .

Calvin Coolidge

technoronin

As a native Texan, I am disheartened by the loss of the independent spirit of Texas that I grew up with.  The culture I grew up with is gone and only a minority are interested in bringing it back.

PHenry

QuoteThe culture I grew up with is gone and only a minority are interested in bringing it back.

Hmmm. Sums it up pretty succinctly I would say - the core problem.

Good news is what Sam Adams said then, still rings true today:

"We do not require a majority to prevail, but merely an irate, tireless minority, keen upon setting the brushfires of Freedom in the minds of men"

Appleseeds is exactly that.  O0 Or, rather, Apppleseeds can be that, if we all press our collective shoulders to the cart and push hard. One Appleseeder is worth a hundred do nothings - maybe more. Talk is cheap - Appleseeders do.