News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Celina, Ohio November 17-18

Started by Corvette, November 20, 2012, 11:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Well, we completed our first Appleseed ever at Mercer County Sportsman Association near Celina, Ohio this past weekend and was it ever special.  First, the weather was magnificent.  Two days of sunshine, no wind, temps cool in the morning but mid-50's during the rest of the day.  By afternoon, the sun was directly behind the shooting line and the AQT's were so brightly lilt, it was like there was a spot light on each target. 

We had nine great Americans on the line for the event, many of which came from the same family (Terry, Cody, Cody's lovely wife, friend Mike and Dillon) and several other members of the range (Reid and his dad).  Finally we had two fine shooters and future riflemen from Cincinnati (JP and  Aaron) holding down the end of the line.  A group of nine hearty and dedicated shooters. 

With Ratchett leading the way, we dove right in starting with the traditional Red coat target and moving along through the typical Appleseed path of sighter squares mixed in with instructions on prone position, steady hold factors, six steps to firing a shot, rifleman's  cadence and NPOA.  Right from the very first lesson, shot groups tightened quickly and I got the first stirrings that this was going to be a special Appleseed.

We broke for lunch during which we talked about events in America in the 1700's set the stage for what happened on April 18-19, 1775 which led us to the presentation of the First Strike.  Emotions rose and tear or two formed as Ratchett summarized on very personal terms what had just happened on Lexington Green. Eight sets of fathers and sons were separated that morning, wounded patriots crawled back to their doorstep to die at the feet of their wife, huzzahs were chanted and victory volleys were fired by Regulars who had just shot their supposed countrymen in the back.  This put us all in the mood to go back and shoot some more.

Instructions continued, the cake got built and we ended Saturday with a couple of AQTs.  That is when the magic started. Saturday afternoon late we had our first two Riflemen, and father/son pair at that.  Reid (12 years old) and his father both shot Riflemen's scores that afternoon. Dillon was right behind them with his first of two qualifying scores.  Of course the rest of the family (Cody and Terry) ribbed him saying it really didn't count because he used a scope. That banter was to continue into Sunday. We ended the day with the Second Strike of the match presentation on the events in Concord.

Sunday dawned just as beautiful as Saturday and the instructions, the AQTs, a couple of team events and a Third Strike lecture made the day pass way too quickly.  When all was said and done, we had 5 of 9 attendees shoot rifleman. Dillon put an end  to the family ribbing by backing up his Saturday score on Sunday with an open sighted rifle. And, at the final Redcoat on Sunday, we had two shooters clear their target, one of which had shot over 200 but could not quite get to 210 (with a tube fed rifle).  I am sure he will get there his next Appleseed.  So we ended the event with well over half of our line shot Rifleman or is banging on the door. 

What a great day for liberty and our future generations.  With fine young men like Reid and Dillon, Cody and Mike, the country is in good hands, Here is a big Appleseed huzzah to Mercer County Sportsman Association and its wonderful members, it was really a pleasure to spend the weekend in Celina with such fine people.

Pictures to follow.

Corvette

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Pictures from a great weekend.....
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

First my apologies to Dyllan for misspelling his name in my AAR post above.  I didn't have the registration list with me and just got it wrong.  My bad.  To Dina and Bryan, didn't mean to leave your names out, just forgot to put them in.  Finally, for my last screw up, I started this AAR on our shoot and Ratchett started one as well.  Her's is a lot better than mine so lets put all our comments on here entry so they all are in one place.  I will put a link in Ratchett's so its easy to get to my pictures if anybody wants them. 

Again, fantastic shoot everyone.  I really hope to see all of you on the line again when Appleseed returns to Mercer County Sportsman Assc. next year. 

Corvette

Ratchett

Corvette,

You know what they say great minds work together   ;) ! You did a fantastic job and great practice when that hat changes color  ;D  which will be real soon  O0
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley