News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

I got a new and great story for IMC I have to share with you all

Started by RedFox24, November 17, 2012, 12:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFox24

Well I have a new story for IMC at the next Appleseed,

Listened to two "deer slayers" at Rural King taking about trying to zero the scope on their shotguns for hunting this weekend. One fellow was buying more slugs because he has been trying to zero his gun and after 36 shots  :~ he is still low and left. (yea, 36 12 guage slugs, OUCH! :wb: (both wallet and shoulder)) The other guy was telling him how to zero it by putting it in a vice and then "dialing" the scope over to the bullet hole. Said he learned that after he paid a gunsmith $35  #) to sight his in with a laser and it was still off. It still takes a "box or two" but its easier and cheaper than the gunsmith.

They didn't believe me when I told them it took us three shots to zero my sons last week using I.M.C...........  ^:)^
"Preparedness is not an event.  It's a continuous process." 
Dr. Julie Gerberding, Director, CDC

Barbie

Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Kaylee

... course, it helps if you can shoot straight in the first place. :)

Johnnyappleseed

Nice thing about the vise is that it is always there when you need it !!
Hahahahahahah

I distribute lots of the RWVA sight in targets at our public range , last week after helping a hunter sight in at 25 ,doing ball and dummy with him . He handed me a 20 ! Of course I refused but he insisted . I suggested he donate to AS .
He stuck then20 in my pocket and said " you do it "
Thank you I will !
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

spitfire51

:wb:

wow, just......wow

I hope you invited them to an upcoming event, sounds like they desperately need it
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

spitstickler

Almost would have been cheaper for him to come to Appleseed too. 36 slugs... Ouch.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

George Hacker

Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: spitstickler on November 17, 2012, 05:28:11 PM
Almost would have been cheaper for him to come to Appleseed too. 36 slugs... Ouch.

It sure would have been cheaper for him to come to an AS , next season he will go through the process again .

The visual of 12 gauge slugs at 25 is a remarkable sight !
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

JOEMORGAN

Working Sight in day the week before the season opener was quite an eye opener. Some guys actually did run out of shells but then stated "well I'm close enough". I had two shooters that didn't want to make adjustments even after shooting good groups that needed a "tweak" at 100 yds. And another was surprised that his scope might have to be adjusted after 20 plus years in the closet. I found the female shooters were most open to IMC adjustments.
"Man did not enter society to be worse off, or to have fewer rights, but rather to have those rights better secured" --Thomas Paine

"Humanity has won it's battle, Liberty has a country" --Marquis de Lafayette

"These are not men, but devils" --Colonel Francisco de Paula-Milan, Mexican Army, Camerone 30 April 1863

olefido

After 4 years in the Infantry and learning how zeroing a rifle worked and how everybody's zero is different, it always amused me to go to one of the local gun stores that had an indoor range and seeing shotguns lined up all over the place waiting to be sighted in by the store employees  FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO USE. #)
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

TaosGlock

It is of great amusement to go to a 'public shooting range' and watch two guys attempt to sight in a rifle (often with a newly installed scope).
And it is always at 100 yards where they never hit paper.  ;D  One is an "expert" the other usually clueless. **)

Sorry, that said...
I have on more than one occasion gently suggested that they initially do this at 25 yards just to hit paper.
Then after a simple IMC reason why this works, I often assist them and they are amazed at how quick I do it.
Having my Appleseed shooting jacket on lends credibility and most struggling shooters are very attentive and appreciative.

Seriously, I always help out a fellow shooter whenever I can at these ranges. O0

This is a great 7th step opportunity and they get the usual trifolds, etc.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

AFTERMATH

After 36 slugs I'd probably be shooting low and to the left as well. 
O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

RODGE

After reading about some of the above experiences of 'trying to zero' a scope, it leaves me wondering just how many deer get shot in the butt, or just 'grazed', or wounded anywhere, and are running around bleeding to death, never to be found by the hunter that shot it.  Especially the one that said, "oh well, it's close enough.  How humane is that?  Another good point to learning IMC at an AS! 
What we allow is what will continue!

What have you done for LIBERTY today?

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: TaosGlock on November 17, 2012, 09:24:55 PM
It is of great amusement to go to a 'public shooting range' and watch two guys attempt to sight in a rifle (often with a newly installed scope).
And it is always at 100 yards where they never hit paper.  ;D  One is an "expert" the other usually clueless. **)

Sorry, that said...
I have on more than one occasion gently suggested that they initially do this at 25 yards just to hit paper.
Then after a simple IMC reason why this works, I often assist them and they are amazed at how quick I do it.
Having my Appleseed shooting jacket on lends credibility and most struggling shooters are very attentive and appreciative.

Seriously, I always help out a fellow shooter whenever I can at these ranges. O0

This is a great 7th step opportunity and they get the usual trifolds, etc.

Yesssss and that help is a major reason why we will once again become a nation a Riflemen O0

Aftermath -- your comment is tooooo funny  ;D ;D ;D
Calvin Coolidge

TaosGlock

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on November 18, 2012, 01:53:08 PM
Yesssss and that help is a major reason why we will once again become a nation a Riflemen O0

I sincerely hope this is the case!  :~
I will do continue to do my part as do others around here. O0

...still too funny to hear the "expert" say, "I think it needs to move a few clicks this way". ;D
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose