News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Interest in Grants Pass, OR Ranges

Started by skiddyfisk, October 31, 2012, 08:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiddyfisk

It's not that. I'm in Grants Pass - finances sunk me for this month, and it looks like work is gonna rob me of at least Saturday this time. (I get off at 7:30 AM Saturday in Medford... making 8:30 in Eagle Creek isn't happening)

I would *really* like to see one of these happen in Grants Pass, we do have a perfect range for it.

Transform

Sorry to hear about the finances, maybe try to start saving now for some spring Appleseeds!
I'm guessing that you'll see something on the schedule for Southern Oregon in 2013.

Quote from: skiddyfisk on October 31, 2012, 08:30:44 AM
I would *really* like to see one of these happen in Grants Pass, we do have a perfect range for it.
Are you willing to do the local legwork to help set something up? If so, I'd be glad to stop by Grants Pass on Nov 16 to look at the range with you, then report back to our State Coordinator about the facilities. If that sounds like something you'd want to do, please PM "Prescott" and me about setting something up for Grant's Pass.

skiddyfisk

I'd be down to help make it happen. I actually already got a PM from Prescott already and events have occurred here before, I'm not sure why they don't still but eh.

skiddyfisk

I will certainly be around on the 16th if you still want a look around the place.

Transform

Quote from: skiddyfisk on November 12, 2012, 09:18:33 AM
I will certainly be around on the 16th if you still want a look around the place.

Great! PM sent.

Prescott

Unfortunately, I am going to have a chaotic week, and I can not commit to driving down to look at the range.   Please send some pictures and take some measurements to the width of the ranges, so we can calculate the number of shooting positions.

Are you going to the Josephine Sportsman Park.   I am looking at their website and it looks like they have a great range.   Since they have 10 ranges, they should have one that will work for us.   

I will call the club president listed on their website, Scot Shearer, and see if I can get time at their Nov or Dec Board Meeting to make a presentation.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

skiddyfisk

They have three rifle ranges - a 100, a 200, and a 600 yard. I think the 100 and 200 yard ranges have 12 shooting positions each and the 600 has more like 20. But I can't say for sure, I'll have to count.

From the Google Earth ruler, the 100 yard range is 24 yards wide, the 200 yard range is 21 yards wide, and the 600 yard range is 50 yards wide.

The "10 range" thing includes trap and skeet, archery, and pistol, as well as rifle.

Transform

Prescott, I just tossed a 100' tape into my bag, so I don't forget to take measurements.
The photos I'll leave up to Skiddyfisk, as I don't have a camera.

Skiddyfisk, we really appreciate your enthusiasm to help us set up a local Appleseed!

skiddyfisk

Glad to do it. Hope we can make it happen.

Nero

I have been to that range.  It would be great place for an Appleseed!  It's right off I-5, so easy access for anyone from Ashland on up, or the south end of the Willamette valley.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Audrey

Josh and I could possibly do a Grants Pass AS, if the timing is right for us. (:

skiddyfisk

Transform and I had a productive look around the place yesterday. He seems to think it'll work!

George Hacker

Quote from: skiddyfisk on November 17, 2012, 12:36:01 PM
Transform and I had a productive look around the place yesterday. He seems to think it'll work!

Do you have pictures and drawings of the range with rough measurements?  That would be most helpful.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

skiddyfisk

I do, I'll be organizing and posting those shortly.

skiddyfisk

OK, in the order we checked and measured them:

The 100 yard "Walker Mountain" range:

Likely unsuitable due to the immovable benches and downward slope of the ground in front of them. 73 feet of potential firing line.

A narrower cleared 100 yard area that isn't set up as a range as such:

42 feet of firing line.

The 200 yard "Slug Alley" range:

Has potential due to level ground and ample room. 63 feet of usable firing line.

The 100 yard "Law Enforcement" range (it's only a name, it is available for events like any other):

Transform seemed to think this was the most likely candidate. It's about 100x160 feet, and solidly bermed on three sides - actually it's cut into a hill. There's a nice covered area, and ample length to have an equipment line 30 feet behind the firing line. This range is also within 50 feet of the largest parking area at the facility.

Finally, the indoor range:

It's only 60 feet long, strictly rimfire only, and costs more to use than the rest of the facility due to lighting and upkeep.

The range also has several campsites with electric and water:

There is also an RV park a short ride down the road, I believe.

Theophilus

skiddyfisk, Tranform:
Nice work, guys.
Now to see if we can get some events on their calendar next year...

Theophilus
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believes on him may not perish, but have life eternal.  John 3:16

CQ CQ CQ de WB7AOW

Transform

Great report skiddyfisk! Thanks for getting all the info posted. One minor correction:
The 100 yard "Law Enforcement" range (it's only a name, it is available for events like any other):
I was told that the "Inter-Agency Law Enforcement Range" is NOT generally available for public events without special permission, and there is currently only one non-LEO group authorized to hold events there.

My recommendation is to request the Law Enforcement range if we can possibly get it, and to settle for the 200 yard range if necessary. At the 200 yard range, the equipment line would be covered, but the firing line would probably be set at least 10-15 yards forward due to the slope.

skiddyfisk

I'll trust your memory better than mine. I was NOT awake that morning.

skiddyfisk

Is this idea going anywhere? Haven't heard anything in a while.

Transform

Quote from: skiddyfisk on December 30, 2012, 08:08:12 AM
Is this idea going anywhere? Haven't heard anything in a while.

Yes, things are still in process but setting up a new range will take time.
Don't wait! There are two Portland/Vancouver area shoots coming up in February!
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=34896.0

bruzer

Got a message from Transform that this event won't be happening for 2013. Maybe 2014?
Mike

Transform

Quote from: bruzer on April 05, 2013, 12:11:50 AM
Got a message from Transform that this event won't be happening for 2013. Maybe 2014?
Mike

That is correct Mike. The range seemed interested but they are already booked solid for the year by local member events. I told them that I'd contact them in the fall to discuss the possibility of setting something up for 2014. In the meantime, I'm working on putting together a list of other Appleseed events within driving distance of Grants Pass.

Transform

Here's a rough draft that will be edited when I get more information.

There are currently 3 nearby options for southern Oregon shooters:
Head north to Springfield, OR
Head south to Red Bluff CA or Hat Creek, CA
Head west to Brookings, OR or Eureka, CA

Springfield, OR   Apr 20-21       (2.5 hours)
Hat Creek, CA     Apr 20-21       (3 hours)
Eureka, CA        (June TBA)      (3 hours)
Springfield, OR   July 13-14      (2.5 hours)
Hat Creek, CA     July 27-28      (3 hours)
Brookings, OR     Aug 3-4         (2 hours)
Hat Creek, CA     Aug 31-Sep 02   (3 hours)
Springfield, OR   Sept 21-22      (2.5 hours)
Eureka, CA        (Oct TBA)       (3 hours)
Red Bluff, CA     Nov 23-24       (3.5 hours)

Approximate driving distances listed are from Grants Pass, OR
For additional locations, visit the NW Region Schedule at:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=34896.0

skiddyfisk

Just a thought - maybe if all of us who want one in GP were to contact the range asking about it they might bump us up in priority a bit?

George Hacker

Grassroots efforts by local boots on the ground, especially range members, helps get our foot in the door.  I am not sure if a presentation has been made to that range.  It is possible their calendar is already full.  In that case, there is a several month latency before we can have our first event.  It wouldn't hurt to bring Project Appleseed up in conversation with club members, especially the leadership.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Transform

Quote from: skiddyfisk on April 07, 2013, 11:14:12 PM
Just a thought - maybe if all of us who want one in GP were to contact the range asking about it they might bump us up in priority a bit?

PM sent.

skiddyfisk

It's worth a try. I'm not sure if anyone other than me has expressed interest directly to the range, so they might've simply felt it wasn't worth booking. Some hard numbers might sway them.

skiddyfisk

I found another range down here. It's in Medford, which isn't ideal, but still much closer than any current events.

http://www.mrpc.info/p/mrpc.html

Just a quick read-through of their reservation policy suggests that it would potentially work. However, I have not been inside and cannot comment on their facilities or interest, all I know is that the place exists.

Prescott

I have driven by this range before, and it does not appear that they have any rifle ranges.   After reading their website, it looks like they hold all of their rifle matches at Josephine Sportsman Park.

I also just read the Ashland Gun Club website and they have the facilities to host an AS event.   I will make it a priority to meet with both Josephine Sportsman Park and the Ashland Gun Club to see if we can get an event down there.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

skiddyfisk

Ah, that's a shame. Glad to hear there's some progress being made, at least!