News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The End of America - Evident Even At The American Legion

Started by GrandmaHistorian, November 12, 2012, 01:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandmaHistorian

I posted a message and series of questions at the forum of the American Legion's web site which you can view at

http://www.legion.org/forums/212875/end-america-evident-even-here

(assuming they don't take it down)

and your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated - either here or there as you feel fit.

The big question in my mind is that if these online and physical, local communities and "cherished" institutions haven't got a clue, what hope does America really have in pulling its bacon out of a raging fire?

If you tried to spend as much time as I have
studying the 10,000 years leading up to
9/11, you'd need to dedicate 40 hours a week
for five years. If you spent as much time as I did
studying the events, laws and players that led
to the crash of 2007 you'd need 40 hours a week
for 30 years and discover what I did: they were
the same culprits.

Grandma

Guardian

"Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result." I've heard that as the definition for both insanity and stupidity. The level of thought you've applied to your problem suggests that you are neither.

One of the ideologies that seems to have been adopted by the majority of American's is that everyone and everything is worth saving. I can't grasp this concept, as everything has a usable lifespan or service life. I'm sure I picked that up growing up on a farm, but the USMC drove the point home. I acknowledge that it is difficult to make that judgement and that everyone must make it for themselves. No matter what decision you make, there will always be someone who thinks you did the wrong thing. All you can do is look introspectively and make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time.

With that said, I was an AL member for about a year. The impression I got was it was more of a social club than anything, and one I didn't care to be affiliated with. That could have been a local issue, but it was responsible for my perception of the organization, none-the-less. I'm sure others have very different opinions of the AL, that was just my own experience.

I'm sorry I don't have answers for your situation, but I do have some questions that I hope will help you to your own decision:
   1) Is your affiliation with the organization putting energy into your day or sucking it out? It's likely both, but which is more prevalent?
   2) Is there another organization that would appreciate and, thus, benefit more from your efforts?
   3) If the local post dissolved, are there other posts or organizations that would cover the same area?
      3A) Are those posts/organizations more deserving of your time?
   4) If you leave, what is the likely effect on the organization?
   5) Are you getting enough out of it for what you are putting into it?

Some may argue that the last question is "what's wrong with America these days." There is nothing wrong with expecting sufficient payback for your efforts, be it monetary, emotional fulfillment, or otherwise. There is something wrong with the expectation of reward for no effort (handouts), which is something I see a lot of.

Another thing I learned in the USMC is that EVERYONE is replaceable. That's a hard thing to come to terms with. All our lives we're told that we can't be replaced, we are special, there is no-one exactly like us, etc; then you find out that's only true when applied to individual characteristics, personalities, and relationships. Anyone performing a function can and, at some point, likely will be replaced.  If people couldn't be replaced, how did we as a species make it this far? I think the best we can hope for is that we do enough that it requires 2 or more people to provide the same value and/or accomplish the same tasks. My point to all of this is, we (myself included) often over-rate our importance to a particular function or cause. I'm not insinuating that you aren't doing what you say you are, merely suggesting that you leaving a position that is causing you angst does not necessarily mean the collapse of the organization.

Good luck with making your decision,

Marcus

PS - I'd argue that what you reference as a "religious guy" is in-fact a guy hiding behind religion. Subtle difference, but worth noting, IMO.

PaxxAZ

Excellent post!!!
I thank you for it.
I will forewarn that the following is purely my opinion and should be taken for what that is worth.  Less than the time needed to read it.

The sinking ship is taking on water faster than ever, but we are also bailing faster than ever. The hard issue is identifying the leaks and figuring out how to plug the giant hole in the ship.
On the topic of illicit affections, or cameras offering semi-taboo entertainment:
Throughout the history of soldiering, there is the history of brothel type activity. The difference now, is the outside exposure of it, that all see it.

We are now more accepting of our faults, shortcomings  and less judgmental of those around us. Most modern societies in our culture today will not shun an unwed mother, or people living out of wedlock, or those not married within their race (whatever that means to whoever is saying it). Most of these things I am indifferent to or am heartened that we do not shun those who simply choose differently.
However along with that, we have increased corruption, perhaps simply more evident. We have more apathy to the plight of others. In short we only care of ourselves and not about our society or community.
We have surrendered the caring of others to the government, because we do not want to be bothered.

There are very encouraging movements afoot, not only in the US but internationally as well. The Maker movement, the Prep movement, the Homesteading movement are all increases in self-reliance.
We need to become self-reliant, to best help others.
The Bill and Malinda Gates Foundation is an example of what good can come from money and power. Their yearly budget is much smaller than what  the election budget was this year, however their yearly contribution will have a much longer lasting effect.

We will never return to the past, we will always go into the future, but it is not as bleak as we often think it is.
What needs fixing still needs fixing, but it is not people doing things we don't like.
It is people being self-reliant enough to help others, while also feeling the need to do so, as opposed to being obligated to do so. It is those who are not self-reliant wanting to be self-reliant, and willing to put in the work needed to be so.  Once that is attained, our other issues are tiny. This is America, we look to do the unattainable.
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011