News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Learn how to survive when the lights go out

Started by SSG Platz, November 06, 2012, 09:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSG Platz

Alright guys alternative energy may have been the wrong way to tag this, I can personally tell you that my family just went comfortably 4 days without grid power in a house that everything runs off electric from the light to the stove. We ate well, had lights, heat, and on top of everything else none of our food went bad. All thanks to taking one of these classes that I describe below enjoy. 

Ok guys with everything that has happened this past week with hurricane sandy, and the fact that we seem to get a big bad storm every year around this time and go days without electricity I thought it might be good to bring my good friend Steven Harris down to give a class on survival energy. No not the Bassist from Iron Maiden, the guy that many of you might know from the survival pod cast. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to reply to this thread. Date and prices are tentative and depend on how may people show interest in the class. If you don't know who Steven Harris is and would like to find out more check out his bio page at http://www.stevenharris.net/.

If you live in the area and are interested in things like powering your house from your car when the lights go out, being prepaired for natural disasters, how to feed your family for a week with 10 bucks worth of supplies how to store gasoline for up to 10 years! This is where it's at!
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

jmcglash

I have listened to a few of Steve's audio files. They are all very informative.

I belong to OEM and I am a CERT trainer. With the boy scouts I am a am Assistant Scout Master, merit badge councilor for Radio, First Aid, E-Prep, and Rifle. A wideness first aid  instructor, CPR, AED.

I learn something every time I listen to Steve's material. When I told him so in his feedback form I got a reply within the day saying I could use any of his material in my CERT and Scout training classes. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. I have been recommending Steve to all my students for some time.

I would be very interested in a class or workshop with Steve. My son would also like a chance to learn from him.

I hope the planning for this event goes well. Please keep me in mind.

Jim
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."
~  Lord Robert Baden-Powell

TaosGlock

Harris's link has some awesome info! Thanks for posting that.  :bow:
Everyone should have an energy backup plan for tough times.

Living in the wilds of northern NM (power outages, sub-zero temps, snow, etc) for over 2 decades, BlueFeather and I have gone solar, rammed earth home, grey water flush toilet and rainwater catch buried cisterns. A solar hot water heater/on demand propane back up tops it off.
We have an indoor greenhouse for growing year round that uses grey water.

We live in a home made from tires (300# dirt rammed in each tire stacked like bricks), bottles, cans and vigas from the local area. Cheap and easy. It is called an Earthship. google up earthship biotecture. I can send you a private youtube vid of our home if you PM me.
We got tired of freezing to death in our log cabin in the dark, huddled around a wood stove for cooking and light when the grid shuts down.

Last year this area had a 10 day shutdown on natural, gas which caused panic buying.

Over the years, we tried/experimented with many of the current living "alternatives" for emergencies i.e. generators, home construction, etc and none works as well as what we have now.
YMMV, but have a plan...period!

Our heart goes out to all you affected by Sandy.

Again thanks for posting Harris's site! O0
Can't wait to listen to more of his stuff.
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

SSG Platz

His stuff really is good, and we are luck here in PA because he lives local, and we are working together on a project, and when I mentioned Appleseed to him and that many of the people involved had the self suffency/prepper mentality he offered to give a class if I could find enough people in the area that would be interested in attending. I was really hoping for more interest.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

mal

I'm interested!  Only 3 questions:  Where?  When?  How much?

Also, i can probably bring this up to some guys i work with who may be interested (a few) and i can mention it at the Berks County Patriots meeting to an audience of about 500.  How big of a venue is Harris looking for? 

Any chance you can get me a brief syllabus of his presentation so that i can advertise it a bit more thoroughly?

*Update*  Got 4 others from work interested.
~Malcontent

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams

microred

We would like to hear some more....tiime and place would be helpful to us, as we would need to work out some logistics.

Thanks for the most sounds very timely!

Microred

Charles McKinley

I'm with mal: where, when, how much?

I'm on the other end of the state but might be able to make a road trip.

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

navionpa

SSG Platz

Sorry I've been on quite infrequently lately, the new baby and all and between the two of them they have the wife and I overwhelmed as of lately.
I will touch base with Steve and find out how many people he is looking to inteetain, I haven't set up a venue as of yet because he has told me he is rather flexable with attendance and I wanted a good idea of what size of place and where the people would be coming from before I set something up.
Also, depending on what happens with the size it's open to Appleseed people first, but if you know people who are interested or you can't make it don't worrie, I am accutly in the process of standing up a "training group" that he will be a part of, I don't want to go into a whole sales pitch but it will be on the lines of encompassing weapons familiarity, prepping, and TTP to make your house not only a home but a castle and how not only to survive though a critical incident but how to trive and be the King of your castle.

So I will get you guys more info as It comes available.

Thanks for the responses,

~PlatzOut~

Microdevil45

First congrats on going without it can be a hard thing to do if your not ready.  Steve Harris has some very good info.  I first learned about him thought The Survival Podcast.  His work on alternative energy is awesome.

Jiggson

Platz,
My brother and I too would be very interested in a Steven Harris talk/event! And what you're talking about putting together would really just be over the top.

Look forward to hearing more.
And congrats on the new little one

J

SSG Platz

Sorry guys, but this has bed postponed until further notice, some personal issues have arose for Steven that he will have to deal with as soon as I hear back from him I will let you know.
Thank you all for your support in trying to get this event up and running

~PlatzOut~