News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need Help - Lodi Nov 10th 9am - 12pm

Started by LadyVetch, October 29, 2012, 11:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyVetch

Activate Lodi Health & Safety Fair
Lodi Middle School

9am - 12pm 

Free

We were asked if we would like a table.  I would do it but I am already committed to a boy scout adventure in Oshkosh that weekend.   

Anybody willing to run a table at a safety fair?  It's a community wide event.   I would imagine we would hand out flyers, some candy and talk with people about Appleseed.  We will have an Appleseed in Lodi coming up in February, April, June & October.   Maybe have a sign up if women would :sos: be interested in a ladyseed in May.

Any takers to help me out?  I hate to turn them down especially since they sought me out.

LV
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

Trisha

We have a table set up for this. I most likely will be there, along with Colycat and EricTheRed

LadyVetch

Great!  I will get you more information (directions etc) and reserve the table.

In a different IAAR, somebody did one where they had a dummy rifle with a pvc barrel, a laser pointer and a shooting mat and did hands on demostration of prone.  I thought that would be kinda fun to do. 

My friend will be running an melanoma awareness table and she will be making UV bead bracelets.

Thanks for stepping up to help!  I really appreciate it.

LV
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

Trisha

I think since it is a health show, we should focus on safety and the April 19th story. We'll probably bring a demo rifle too just in case we have the opportunity to use it.

LadyVetch

Sounds good.  I'm glad you are helping.  I really wanted to do this...  :'(

Lv

colycat

What do we have in the way of safe handling of rifles in our hand outs?  Should we be thinking of putting something together just for this event?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

dragonfly

How about a lap top with a loop of safe rifle diddy https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151217272694427

A hand out with safety rules and safe rifle.
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Trisha

Trying to work on a safety flyer now. Hopefully I will have it done today and I will post it here to get everyone's opinion.

Dfly-I don't think that video is at all necessary. lol.

LadyVetch

Winnequah Board is not discussing the 2013 calendar at the Nov board meeting so we will not know the upcoming schedule.   Hopefully, you guys could get e-mail addresses for us to notify people of upcoming seeds.

I should know Feb Winterseed though.  Any choice of dates?

dragonfly

Would like Sunday Feb 10 2013 for Winnequah WinterSeed  :~

Thanks,
D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Trisha

Here is what I came up with, please critique it. If there is something that I need to change, please let me know!

Thank you

LadyVetch

I got an e-mail back from the Lodi Activate Health Committee - They said someone at Appleseed already contacted them about the event and that we did not want a table ????

I think we have miscommunication going on....   

I did tell them that we were planning on attending so they said they would send an e-mail with details to whoever contacted them before and copy me with the details just to be on the safe side.

Do you have an actual physical table to bring with you?  If not, we need to let them know ASAP.
Doors at the Middle School will open at 7:30 so vendors can get in and set up.  Event runs from 9am to Noon. 

Lodi Area Middle School
900 Sauk Street
Lodi, WI  53555

They said we should expect around 150 people (last years numbers).  That weekend is also Hunter's Sight-In at Winnequah so we could have brochures available to hand to everyone there too (That's around 300 people).  Do we have enough trifold brochures for Hunter's Sight-In?  Could someone drop them off at the Gun Club sometime on Saturday?

The brochure looks good but doesn't format right on my PC so I can't help you there.  Would we want to include more general gun safety information on the back side?  This is an interesting brochure from the state of WA 
http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/ca/gunSafe.pdf

I will let the board know about Sun Feb 10th.  And we should be able to do our standard April 20th & 21st dates.  I'll see if I can get that nailed down before the event too.

Let me know if there is anything else you need.  I will be available to help set upon Sat if you need me.  I don't leave for Oshkosh until 9:30am.   

LV

Trisha

After talking to the Ohio Promo Coordinator about this promotional opportunity in Lodi, we thought it actually might be best to go a different route than safety. This is because people at these health fairs are most likely going to be people who don't know anything about rifles, let alone how to handle rifles. My handout is for shooters.

I have to find the exact quote by Thomas Jefferson, but it's something like this: "For the purpose of exercise I recommend shooting because it sharpens the mind and energizes the body. Games of the ball dull the mind and wear on the body."

If we focus on Rifleman's Yoga, we can talk to them about the benefits of being active and going out to the range. Very seldom do folks lay down, stretch, get up, walk, sit down, stretch, get up, walk....
A Rifleman really does live a healthy lifestyle. Active and fit. Well regulated!

We focus on being fit and active. It isn't exercise, but it does require stamina.

Older people get to stretch their muscles and improve their joints/flexibility, strengthen bones, etc. Young people learn to breath and relax, and everyone enjoys the benefits of being less stressed.

If we bring a yoga mat, we could "trick" them into trying out the positions we teach. We ask them if we can show them the positions, ask them if they feel their body stretching, and then say something like, ok now lets go take a 50 yard walk and then do this all over again. Plus we remind them that we're outside breathing in fresh air and enjoying nature.

With soccer moms we can use the approach about getting their kids off the couch and where they won't play video games all weekend!

Please chime in with your thoughts.

Trisha

LV, there must have been some type of miscommunication because they had contacted OG about it too and I told her to let them know we are interested. I even talked about it with Coly in front of her, so I know that if she said we didn't want to do it, she would've chimed in there. I am glad you contacted them so we can get this figured out.

LadyVetch

I LOVE the health direction!   Now I REALLY want to be there!   :'(

Do you need an actual table or will you be bringing your own?  I need to get back to Audrey about that.  Otherwise, we are good to go.

Let me know if you need anything like Yoga mats etc. And will you want our help setting up Sat morning?

Thanks!

LV

Trisha

If they would provide a table that would be great, less for us to haul around. I will get back to you on the setting up but if coly and I go together we should be fine

LadyVetch

Everything a go?  Need anything I could provide? 

There's a nice write up in the paper this week about the event. 
http://www.hngnews.com/lodi_enterprise/news/local/article_4c2d9ce0-285c-11e2-b6da-0019bb30f31a.html

LV