News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Three Strikes of the Match

Started by ManOutdoors, October 22, 2012, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManOutdoors

Hello everyone,

I attended an Appleseed shoot in the past and beforehand, my entire focus was on attending to improve my shooting.  While my shooting certainly improved after that weekend, it was the history and sacrifice that really stuck with me.  The first thing I did after the shoot was to get the Paul Revere's Ride from the library.  That's why the "Three Strikes of the Match" was the first thing that came to mind when my wife asked me for suggestions on a captivating, meaningful way of teaching her students about what started the American Revolution and how to teach it in a way that will be meaningful to them.  So, my question is.....is there a rough text of the "Three Strikes of the Match" available?  (Or, if not, someone in the La Crosse area who would be willing to come and share it with a small class of 7th and 8th graders?)  I know the kids would get a lot out of it, I certainly did!

Let me know what you think and have a great night!

Trisha

First off thank you for continuing to tell our heritage to others, it truly helps knowing that our shooters want to spread the word.

Secondly, does your wife have a date in mind that she'd like to have someone or some people to come in and tell the story? There's a good chance that I can be available.

Maybe something we could do is to have me or another Appleseed volunteer come in, tell the stories and then have some kind of hand out with important notes from the strikes that can be given to the students....?

Let me know what you think and any other details you can give would be greatly appreciated 

ManOutdoors

Thank you Trisha for the quick reply.  I just asked her and she is just getting into the Stamp Act with them, so she is thinking early November.  The school is the Three Rivers Waldorf School in La Crosse.  The hand out idea sounds great.  Please let me know what would be needed, what cost there would be, and anything else important should someone be available!  Thank you!

Unbridled Liberty

For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

dragonfly

Be glad help in any way  O0 
D-fly  cell # 608-370-1747
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Kosciusko

I'm in Winona and would be willing to make the trip.

PM me

Kosciusko

LadyVetch

BellRinger & I would like to help if you'd want us too.

LV
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

ManOutdoors

WOW!  Thank you everyone for fantastic responses!  My wife is very excited to have you in her class, but (after seeing all the kids in the dragonfly's post) I must forewarn you, it's a small school and she only has 7 kids in her combined 7th and 8th grade class.  If there is someone who is close to La Crosse, and it wouldn't be a huge hassle for them to come talk to a small group, that would probably be the best use of your time.  We can definitely reimburse you for travel costs and whatever else you would need.  And, if it's too small of a group, we completely understand.

That being said...mornings work best, that is when the main lesson is taught.  The kids are in school Monday and Tuesday of next week (teacher in-service Wed and parent-teacher conferences on Thurs and Fri), and they have a full week of school the week after.  If there is anything you would need, just let me know.

Thank you again!  I can't think of a better group of people!

(Kosciusko, I'll PM you!)

ManOutdoors

Kosciusko has agreed to come speak with her class.  Thank you everyone!