News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The need to branch out

Started by alkeford, October 16, 2012, 06:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alkeford

There seems to be a need for some branching out. Sly223 and myself have been driving across the state to host an Appleseed in Palm Bay about a 5 hour drive. When there were 9 Instructors at an event 1 1/2 hrs. north. I wont be able to make Palm Bay in Dec. Maybe a few of the east coast crew could break away from there home range and branch out. Do a little cross pollination if you will. If we are to save this country we might have to step outside of our comfort zone.

When I signed the Blue sheet (Rifleman's Pledge) there were no conditions that said my home range only

God Bless you all and thank you for your service
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Sly223

I could not have said it better myself thank you Alkeford.
I forgot he will be on his honeymoon,
I will deffinatly need help this man has been more valuable than my right arm!
I have noticed some events with more help than I sometimes get shooters.
We are not making it east vs. west its just the three or four or so of us overhere.
We have a need for more help at some venues while others have instructors steppin' all over each other!
Can you Help,I know you can will you? ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

douglas34474

For me it's logistics. It's a little hard to eat $100+ in fuel, plus a room for two or three nights. I'm a little too long in the tooth for sleeping on the ground.

We can't run events without Orange Hats to help the SB, but OHs are expected to do so without reimbursement. I can't afford $200 to $300 for a weekend.

Sly223

If you iit you are eligible for Room& board & gas especially since I need you!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

9mm4545

A reimbursement policy for instructors in training does exist and generally will cover gas at least. If a room is shared with a RH, the RH can file for reimbursement for the room. With pre-approval, lodging for Orange Hats can be covered using the usual Appleseed guidelines.  With the elimination of the instructor meal, no food is reimbursable. Attached is an older PDF (which still talks about the instructor meal) that might help. The big deal is "reasonable". We do have a problem at times of too many instructors for some events while other events are understaffed. If the shoot boss, based on the numbers expected, needs more instructors, even if they have to be reimbursed for lodging and gas, then the reasonableness criteria is met and should present no problem. A shoot that has 6 shooters and 8 instructors--uh, not so much. Lastly, there can only be reimbursement for those instructors who are actually signed up for the event. Something that I would urge all instructors to do is not wait until the last moment to send a PM to instructor scheduling. Knowing who is coming makes shoot planning much easier. :) I plan on starting a policy of cutting off the signup of additional instructors once we have enough for an event so that I can "share the wealth" with the other overworked shoot bosses. With enough growth in the program, we will eventually reach a point where no instructor has to drive very far to cover his (or her) "home events". We ain't there yet. So be bold, step outside your comfort zone, branch out and see the world while helping your fellow Appleseeders.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

smoakingun

I am signed up for 4 events in November, including Hollywood. I only have one in December, but the appleseed widow may have something to say about it.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

ToneDef

If there is ever an event that is looking to be too light on instructors, PM me. Many times, I'll be glad to go and I have family all over the state that will put me up for a night  (thus minimizing cost issues). Not that I can drop everything all the time, but my weekends are generally pretty free.
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

9mm4545

TD310, The event in Hollywood on Nov. 10-11 looks like it is going to be sold out with almost 50 shooters. pHenry is going to be the shoot boss for that one and he might welcome any additional help. If you are interested, PM him and ask.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837