News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Using Appleseed shooting in 4H

Started by Twineagles, October 08, 2012, 11:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twineagles

There were 4 of the rimfire shooters for Madison county 4H shooting team entered the state meet last weekend. 2 brought home medals in 3 position shooting. I have been working with them this year and have incorporated the importance of building positions, and slings, Appleseed style. Only other kids there actually using slings were shooting serious target rifles (Anschutz and Winchester 52). I saw lots of slings on rifles not being used just hanging there.

I talked up Appleseed quite a bit to other coaches there too. Might be another group to work with in your areas.
^:)^
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

TaosGlock

We have done "Appleseed style"(in reality just the fundamentals) with the Boy Scouts and at the NRA's now famous Adventure Camp here in NM.
I am head rifle instructor there and am working on getting "real" slings for next years AC and will modify the COF a bit.
Still working on the 4H though.

Keep up the good work!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

jmdavis

You may find this helpful with youth and 3 position shooting such as 4H. We have used this with students interested in smallbore in VA.  There is also other valuable information there. Some things are different, but Gary Anderson (1964 and 1968 Olympic 300m 3 position champion) has good reasons for those differences.

Teaching Rifle Positions to New Shooters

http://www.odcmp.com/Training/CoachingResources.htm
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner