News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IBC in January?

Started by George Hacker, October 05, 2012, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

Any interest in scheduling an instructor boot camp in western Oregon/Washington in January?  We had proposed doing this in October, but we got busy with a bunch of shoots on the schedule.  Who would be interested in attending?

I would be interested.  I haven't been to an IBC yet.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

RL

I think we are quite past due. I am in!
...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

paulw

Prescott

I like this idea, as it keeps the AS spirit alive during the winter.   I think OR could 2 more Orange hats by then, and WA may be getting other one this fall.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Transform

I'd be interested *if* I manage to shoot a Rifleman's score this year.
(Unfortunately "if" can also be read as "in the unlikely event that"...)
Okay that settles it, I'm signing up for additional shoots in Nov/Dec!

George Hacker

Quote from: Transform on October 07, 2012, 07:32:51 AM
I'd be interested *if* I manage to shoot a Rifleman's score this year.
(Unfortunately "if" can also be read as "in the unlikely event that"...)
Okay that settles it, I'm signing up for additional shoots in Nov/Dec!

Transform,

Where do you come from?  I am scheduled to work the Appleseed event in Ariel, WA November 3-4.  Will you be there?

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Transform

Unfortunately I already have other plans for that weekend ShadowMan, but now I'm hoping to attend both Springfield the previous weekend and Eagle Creek the following weekend.

(FWIW, this thread just caused me to check next year's calendar, looks like I'm already booked for the Jan 19-20 and 26-27 weekends, so if an IBC is happening let's schedule it soon.)

TruTenacity

Which Senior Instructor do you plan on bringing in?

Any idea of the location?
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Transform

How does organizing this sort of thing happen hereabouts? I mean, who schedules the dates and location, chooses the senior instructor, decides whether it will be a 1-, 2-, or 3-day IBC, and plans the schedule? How many sets of shoulders share the burden? How do us lowly newbies contribute, beyond signing up and showing up?

George Hacker

Quote from: TruTenacity on October 10, 2012, 11:45:32 PM
Which Senior Instructor do you plan on bringing in?

Any idea of the location?

TruT,

I think it would be most prudent to bring in the closest SI that is available.  Perhaps bob210?

We are thinking of having the IBC in the Portland, Oregon area.  The idea is to make it convenient for instructors in western Washington and Oregon who haven't been to an IBC before.  We have some new orange hats and a few red hats that haven't been to an IBC.  Theophilus and I are trying to come up with a good location with a meeting room to hold the IBC.

ShadowMan

George Hacker

Quote from: Transform on October 15, 2012, 04:06:51 AM
How does organizing this sort of thing happen hereabouts? I mean, who schedules the dates and location, chooses the senior instructor, decides whether it will be a 1-, 2-, or 3-day IBC, and plans the schedule? How many sets of shoulders share the burden? How do us lowly newbies contribute, beyond signing up and showing up?

All good questions, Transform.  State and region leadership work on the planning of this event.  Don't know how the SIs are selected.  Our Regional Coordinator, Hawkhavn, is an SI so he may choose to come out or possibly delegate that to another SI that is geographically close to us.  bob 210 is a Master Instructor and I think that qualifies as a SI and he is based on the West Coast.

Newbies would contribute by signing up, showing up, and coming with a teachable attitude.  We may do some sort of potluck type meals for lunch - perhaps dinner, too.  It depends on what we get for a venue.

ShadowMan

TruTenacity

Quote from: ShadowMan link=topic=32226.msg241245#msg241245
We are thinking of having the IBC in the Portland, Oregon area.  The idea is to make it convenient for instructors in western Washington and Oregon who haven't been to an IBC before.  We have some new orange hats and a few red hats that haven't been to an IBC.  Theophilus and I are trying to come up with a good location with a meeting room to hold the IBC.

ShadowMan

IBC are a great benefit.  Glad to see something in the works for the wet side.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

George Hacker

I have some tentative Saturday/Sunday dates:

• Jan. 12/13
  • Jan. 19/20
  • Feb. 23/24
This event will be held in Battle Ground, Washington (very low cost, but suitable facility).

Who is interested in attending?  Please post a reply and include all possible dates you can attend by Friday, November 2.  We must let the facility know which of the three dates above we will need to hold our event because they are getting a lot of inquiries to use their facility.

ShadowMan

paulw

I could probably get free for the the January dates, but would prefer the February 23/24 option as there will be less weekend activity to cover at work.
Thanks!
.paulw

Transform

Murphy's law reigns supreme -- I have a total of 3 appointments in all of January and February, and these 3 tentative dates include 2 of them!

• Jan. 12/13
  • Jan. 19/20
  • Feb. 23/24
I am available on Jan 12-13.
My 3 appointments are Jan 18-20, Jan 26, and Feb 23.

RL

...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

Kimber Custom

George Hacker

We have an IBC coming to western Washington.  It will be held east of Battle Ground, Washington the weekend of January 19-20, 2013.  I will be working with the region's state coordinators to get this event in Eventbrite.  Please mark this event on your calendar and come!

ShadowMan

Audrey

What are the requirements for attending an IBC versus a regular Appleseed?

George Hacker

Quote from: Audrey on November 13, 2012, 12:56:30 AM
What are the requirements for attending an IBC versus a regular Appleseed?

Audrey,

In IBC is an Instructor Boot Camp.  It is for instructors or riflemen/riflewomen who are interested in becoming Appleseed instructors.  At the IBC in Battle Ground, there won't be any shooting at a range.  We will learn about different types of rifles, learn some history, learn how to teach better, and confirm that our instructors understand what Project Appleseed is all about.  The goal of an IBC is to make our instructor corps more effective instructors.  The following is from the Appleseed website:

QuoteParticipation in an Instructor Boot Camp(IBC) is only for instructors or those who intend to become instructors, and who have already attended at least one Appleseed.

Prices: The registration fee for an IBC is $70. (This may go up in 2013.) However, all fees are waived for Active Military/Guard/Reserve. Fees for RWVA Instructors (Red Hats) interested in attending an IBC as a refresher course, and IITs who have already attended an RBC or IBC, are also waived . There are no mail-in registrations for an IBC;  any registration not made online via EventBrite is done at the door.

Congratulations on earning your patch last weekend.  I hope you consider joining the Appleseed instructor cadre.  If you do, come to the IBC.  They don't come around very often.

ShadowMan

Transform

Quote from: ShadowMan on November 05, 2012, 09:40:14 PM
We have an IBC coming to western Washington.  It will be held east of Battle Ground, Washington the weekend of January 19-20, 2013.  I will be working with the region's state coordinators to get this event in Eventbrite.  Please mark this event on your calendar and come!

ShadowMan

Registration for the IBC has opened:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=34896.0