News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru Appleseed July 4th, 5th, and 6th

Started by rock-chucker, July 07, 2008, 02:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rock-chucker

Wow, what a great 4th of july weekend.  bye far, the best I've had in many, many years.

To start things off, we had a lot of fun and games on the 4th itself.  Bob210 was very imaginative and creative to make games which besides being a whole lot of fun, incorporated events surrounding April 19th, and July 4th.  We had the Battle Road walk (3-legged race), a powder horn fill game, Grendadier toss (water balloons), etc.  There was a lot of water flying around, and it sure did bring welcome relief to the sweltering heat.  Not only that, each member of the winning teams got to take their pick of a variety of prizes including Cold Steel knives, tech sights, etc., which were donated.  Guests and new shooters got to put in some LTR time shooting stars, squares, red-coats, and balloons. 
We all got to try our hand on some intersting guns, including semi auto 1919(?) Brownings and WWII mortars converted to shoot cement-filled beer cans using blackpowder.  Not to mention army Mule rides.  How cool is THAT?  Koolaid once again proved himself to be a great cook ( ;D), and fed everyone with awesome barbequed Tri Tip and Burgers.  Thank you, Big John and Koolaid for bringing all that gear for us to enjoy.  between the shooting, the games, the heritage, food, and Appleseed attitude; it is safe to say that we will be adding new people to Appleseed rosters in upcoming shoots in so cal.  As if all that weren't enough, we opened a raffle for a fresh-from-Anniston H&R CMP Garand Bob210 just received (I'll let you know how it shoots after I win it  ;D). 

And to think that all of that took place BEFORE we even started our weekend marksmanship clinic!  Just in case any of you start thinking we got it going on here...you are right!  :D

We began the marksmanship clinic Saturday morning with (I think) 23 shooters; the majority of which "persisted" in true marksmanship fashion through blazing heat and dusty winds.  Bob210 gave some very powerful and inspiring talks and history.  Koolaid presented his always colorful renditions of April 19th events, as well as excellent debut (?) performances by Johnny Appleseed, Sonoftherepublic, and our very own SavageShooter.

Socalserf did a great job running the line (nice to meet you, serf).  Our group here is definitely progressing and growing.  This is a very exciting group to be a part of.

Other debuts included myself under an orange cap for the first time, and more importantly two new riflemen this afternoon!  Congratulations, BILL and Staylowpro!  You guys really worked for it and made it happen!

thanks to everyone for making such a great 4th weekend.  It's hard to imagine celebrating American Independence any better than we did.

Hope all the rest of you out in Appleseedland also had a happy 4th of July!

R-C       

Johnnyappleseed

Another great AS + the 1st ever Independence day celebration at RWVA west ;D
So many high points. I was having too much fun to even take notes.
Starting on the 4th Bob 210  planned  + designed activities especially for this great day. Rock Chucker already descibed them  ;D Thanx RC. Thanx also to the Cold Steelcompany for their generous gifts .also the 10-22 donated parts, adults + children were excited by the fine gifts donated by the mentioned benefactors.
I have never had this much fun on Independence day ;D ;D ;D
Jon thanx for the 2000 gal water truck. After the balloon toss ,someone started a water fight. :-XKoolAid had the water hose , everyone got a welcome soaking. The entire Mount Appleseed area was filled with a roaring laughter. All the filled water ballons were turned on KoolAid + He held off the charge holding his ground
The food at Koolaids Tavern was delicious. Koolaid besides being a Rifleman,is an excelent cook ! Thanx KA. The Tri tip was great.
BIJohn nice seeing you + yours again , always a pleasure .Thanx for making the journey

Young Lady Alyshia was dressed in colonial costume.She was wearing the blue coat 3pointed hat ruffled blouse + white pants . We all got a good idea of the dress for that period.After the games + water fight Alyshia looked like a colonial caught in a mud storm.
;D
Shoot Boss , Bob 210 , Koolaid , Son of the Republic,Socalserf,Rock-chucker+ Savage Shootr all did a great job on keeping the line safe + teaching the AS program . Bob210 + Koolaid did a powerful history on 2nd + 3rd strikes of the match.
Perhaps an AS 1st was the participation of folks from Russia , Sweden, Phillipines , England + Canada. How cool is that! We know each of you will attain Rifleman + your help will be much appreciated.
Thanx to everyone who attended.It   was an honor for me to be associated with each one of you. I am looking forward to our next event + hopefully we will see each other before then.
Semper Fidelis
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

rock-chucker

Thanks, JA for filling in a lot of important gaps left in my summary.   I left out a lot!

After readng your post, JA; it began to sink in the significance of having such an international participation.  EVERYBODY treasures LIBERTY, not just Americans.  Some of our international participants are permanent US residents, others are not.  It is a particularly intriguing notion to have Appleseed activities spring up and grow in other countries.  How great would THAT be?  Perhaps people in other countries could find examples somewhere in their history where armed citizens paid the price to give them gifts of freedom similar to what our founding fathers did.  If not, the example set by ours is always there to point to as the best example ever in world history.

The gift of freedom given to Americans by our founding fathers effectively raised the bar globally, and remains the gold standard of freedom the world over.  From that standpoint, it certainly is in the best interest of freedom-loving people everywhere that Liberty remain alive and well here in the USA.  Should that liberty here be lost here and the bar again lowered; everyone will be relying on luck to have benevolent government leaders. World history shows us that luck has always been in short supply.

Suffice it to say, there is a lot more at stake than our own liberty in America.  Our cause is EVERYONE'S cause.  I hope that thought punctuates the importance of what we do here, and is one which our foreign visitors will take home with you.  It sure is great having you with us at Appleseed.

R-C

colycat

Rock,

Hitler,s army marched thru Belgium.  One  or two days, max.  It took them 2 weeks, seems they(Belgium,s) had rifles.  The Germans were fired upon constantly  from upper stories.  They still got through,  but the Belgium,s still took their toll.  They still take pride in this,  although I doubt they have rifles, anymore.  WE ARE THE LAST STAND!!!!!!!!

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

cannonman61

Young Lady Alyshia was dressed in colonial costume.She was wearing the blue coat 3pointed hat ruffled blouse + white pants . We all got a good idea of the dress for that period.After the games + water fight Alyshia looked like a colonial caught in a mud storm.

I have worn those very clothes at this time of year and I can tell you, wet is the only way you wear them in July! ;)

It sounds like Bob got some good use of the Rev War memerabilia in his box.

Congrats to Bob and the SoCal contingent for making your shoot the class act of the western Appleseed theater!

Good job all. Now, let's see some pictures of the event!

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Liberty Dave

Well I have to say since I lived near this shoot I had to finally get to meet some of these rifleman and also the ones in training and really experienced a kindred spirit and hung out each day not ready for the shoot with a pinched nerve on a work comp injury. I felt like a hungry puppy dog never being around anything like it! I made sure I learned as much about the organization and the instructors there as I could without interfering with their duties and what was impressive was they were as down to earth as the shooters in prone position with the dirt blown on them and the organization couldn't have been conveyed any more grassroots than it exemplified. Thank you so much!  :)
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." T. Roosevelt

colycat

JA,
If only I had the gift of bilocation, and could be in Ottowa, IL AND Piru, CA on Independence Day weekend.  It sounds like you had a fantastic time!  Laughter, the sound of free-men, eh! 

Mrs.Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

SonoftheRepublic

Well, just to add my two cents . . . It was good to see the 23-or-so people who showed up for this event, not bad considering everyone had some place else they probably needed to be on the 4th of July. It was hot, dry and dusty, but we had five "pop-up-style" tents under which we set up the firing line (a First for Piru!) so we were able to keep almost everyone, but the most hardy, out of the heat of the sun. 

The first day, (Friday the 4th), got everybody loosened-up and acquainted as we enjoyed all the fun, games and 22lr gallery-style shooting that had been planned.  Bob gave a very appropriate reading of the Declaration of Independence, which gave us all pause for thought on this precious and most significant day.   Next came the food!  I love food!!  And I certainly appreciated the great Tri-Tip BBQ Kool Aid put on as he sweated and slaved over a hot grill on an equally sweltering day.  Big John really spiced things up, bringing in the BIG GUNS and ARTILLERY! . . . now that's the kind of 4th of July fireworks I like!  And of course, probably the most memorable moment of the day came with Kool Aid at the helm, handling that giant water-truck hose with "Kool" precision and finesse . . . Hosing everyone down, BUT GOOD! . . . . . . . . . and giving a brand new meaning to the name: K-O-O-L  A-I-D!!! . . . thanks for the needed "soaking" KA!

Of course Saturday we got down to serious business and had the full-on rifleman training class, teaching all the firing positions, sling-usage, sight adjustment, inches/minutes/clicks, natural-point-of-aim, how to read target results, and much more, with lots of rounds going down range.  Finally, Sunday was spent grinding out AQT's, which is the apex of the Appleseed-weekend, where everyone puts their new-found skills to the test, to see if they can shoot that elusive 210 score or better and qualify as a  Real "American Rifleman".

At lunch each day, and throughout the weekend, we received heart-felt oratory on the unbelievable sacrifices made by our forefathers.  How absolutely precious our Rights.  And how bravely they fought, died and shed their blood to guarantee those Rights for us, their "posterity".  Also time was spent on little-known facts and stories about Revolutionary War History, including the events of April 19, 1775 (the day the first shot was heard 'round the world). And of course those ever-popular "Dangerous Old Men" of the Rev. War.

As for me, I'm just beginning to learn the ropes as a newbie IIT, and it was an honor being put to work as "line-boss" and later "line safety officer", calling out the commands to the shooters as they would prepare for and engage each stage of the shoot, watching for any safety violations, and also helping with some of the instruction on shooting positions and proper steady hold factors . . . I also thoroughly enjoyed watching all the shoot participants as their skills made marked progress throughout the weekend.  Thanks to my fellow IIT's and Instuctors for your help and support, and thanks to Bob (and JB) for the great training and experience.  (As a side note, I thought it interesting when Andrew told me that his dad (Roger) made the comment that the training received this weekend was far and above anything he had ever received in the Army.)

At the end of the day, Sunday, two of our most persistent and determined participants (Bill and Laylopro) entered the realm of Rifleman status which was great! and we honored them both.  Congratulations guys! . . . But what was even greater still was that ALL WHO CAME went away with a new appreciation for the sacrifices our founders made to guarantee our Rights . . .  A realization that we owe a debt to those men and women to be vigilante in protecting those Rights . . .  That the Appleseed Project is the program that, (as it expands exponentially across this country), offers REAL "hope and change" and a way to make a positive difference in waking up the sleeping American . . .  And last but not least, they learned what it takes to become a skilled rifleman and WERE CHALLENGED to now go out and do their part in spreading the word about Appleseed and help expand the ranks of Liberty-Loving Americans everywhere!

As Johnny Appleseed says:  "Is This A Great Country Or What!"
Give them the History, Immerse them in the Tradition. - The Power of Appleseed

The Appleseed Project - "Returning America To A Nation Of Riflemen"

rock-chucker

Bravo, SOR.  Very well said.  As we go deeper into the posts, we get away from what happened at the event and delve into what it really means; and you really nailed it bud.  Thank you for that.  You really made my day by what you wrote.

Liberty Dave:  Thank you for coming out and joining us.  I do hope to see you mended up with your pinched nerve and on the firing line in short order.  When you are ready, I will make good on my promise of putting you behind my M1-A and will do every thing I can to teach you how to make a rifle talk.  In case you haven't realized it yet (and I think you do), Appleseed is about people binding together as Americans who love their country, their fellow men, and cherish the gift of liberty bought with the blood of many before us every bit as much and more than shooting rifleman scores on the firing line.  Without firing a single shot, you can do as much for your country as any "rifleman" by sharing your appleseed experience with other people you know and bring them out to one of our shoots.  I applaud you for coming out to our shoot to learn and appreciate what being an American is really all about.  we welcome you with open arms, armed or not.

I exchanged e-mails today with a great couple, who amidst the bliss of their wedding engagement only days old came out to shoot with us over the 4th.  These folks are fired up, let me tell you.; and they WILL become riflemen.  You will be seeing posts from them as soon as admin approves their registration.

Another friend of mine came out only for the activities on Friday, the 4th.  He is absolutely elated to meet the people at appleseed who "think like" he does, and share his patriotism and love of this country.  He will be back with us, and let me tell you he is a very passionate and powerful man we can really use in the cause of liberty.

My good buddy Bill came out, and on his 2nd appleseed, slugged it out in ways you don't know unless you know him and were here, to make rifleman yesterday. 

My own better half is from China.  SHE can tell you how it is to live in a country where the government has all the power.  SHE will be joining us on the firing line, as well.

I just read about the Illininous 4th of july shoot, where one family of 5 produced 4 riflemen!

When I hear about the expectation of 4,000 riflemen this year, I can see with my own eyes exactly how that will happen, and it WILL HAPPEN.  It's all about the 7th step of firing the shot.  I have to say that for myself, it is the easiest shot to make!  It's like giving away free beer on St. Patrick's day.  If you really believe in our cause, just talk to people and they will get it.  They don't all come right away, but they're coming.  We're coming.

R-C

AlexV

It was a lot of fun :) One of those .308's burned my back pretty badly though....  :(

SavageShootr

Quote from: AlexV on July 08, 2008, 02:15:17 PM
It was a lot of fun :) One of those .308's burned my back pretty badly though....  :(

Hey AlexV,

Welcome to the forum.

Was that when your "Rifleman's Bubble" burst?  ;) I wish I had known about the burn, next AS you come to, find out who to see in the event of something like that happening and if there is something that can be done to help.

It was a pleasure meeting you, Thanks for pitching in with set up and tear down of the line cover, and tables. Thanks also for pitching in with clean-up.

Liberty Dave,

Welcome to the forum also, get healed and come out and join us another time.
Cool name, by the way.  8)

~SS

Pictures will be posted later, I left the software for the camera at home, and I will be there tonight.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

socalserf

Well, most of the high points have been hit already, but here goes.....
July 4th had never been more fun.
Cal legal 1919a4s, 60mm black powder motars, well I was just laughing like a fool at those fire works!
Thanks John and Kool Aid for bringing out the big boy toys.

Alyshia looked great as a Continental soldier! I've got to get me one of those riggs.

Kool Aid's Tavern was a fantastic. I had two of his perfectly cooked tri-tip sandwiches. (That dude is a SERIOUS cook.)
Bob210's fun and games really were fun, and with all the great prizes at stake people were trying desperately to win.
After the Grenadier water balloon toss, Kool Aid took on the world in an all out water balloon vs. fire hose fight. Brother Kool won, hands down.

By the way, Thanks to another John who was generous enough to bring a water truck to wet the ground and the people.
You are a very cool man!

Bob210's reading of the Declaration of Independence was awesome.
With out a doubt the best July 4th I have ever had by far.

Saterday we started with the Appleseed proper. Son of the Republic did really well as line boss and we moved right along.
The usual story of most first time shooters not being effective on the Red Coat target. And the exceptions being the people who have attended previous shoots.

"Perhaps an AS 1st was the participation of folks from Russia , Sweden, Phillipines , England + Canada. How cool is that! We know each of you will attain Rifleman + your help will be much appreciated."
I couldn't have said that any better JA. The international flavor of that weekend was pronounced. The USA is still the standard bearer of Liberty. Let us never forget that America is the worlds last, best hope for freedom.

Johnnyappleseeds telling of the First Strike of the match was real treat. This man has serious story telling chops. Well done sir.

Saterday afternoon was AQTs. And it felt like a grind with the temperature pushing 100. We saw a lot of progress early, but people were getting fatiuged and it showed in their shooting.  Hydration, Hydration, Hydration!!

Sunday was more of the same weather wise. Mostly we shot AQTs and I had the honor of calling the line.
I was impressed by the drive and desire exhibited by Bill in his efforts to achieve his Rifleman score.
He was visably stressed by both the heat and the prone position. He also shot the sitting in a kneeling position.
That was persistance if ever I have seen it. WAY TO GO BILL!!!!

Laylopro- I didn't get to work with you, as you were on the other side of the line.
I would like to  congatulate on your Rifleman score as well. Well done sir.

I really enjoyed working with the shooters who are all great people.
LOTS of progress from everyone. I sure hope to see you all again.

Welcome to the Forum AlexV and Libery Dave.
Great to meet you.

It was so nice to be around all the instuctors, old freind and new acquaintances alike.
And always sad to part.
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Cal 7.62

Just want to say thanks again to all the wonderful people who helped make this event happen.(And of course St. Fred)And the wonderful people who showed up. I thoroughly enjoyed myself even though I missed all the fun on the 4th. I just wish I had more time to write about all the great things I experienced this weekend. I'll be back.

P.S. here's a link to the "Sam The Minuteman" book at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Minuteman-Can-Read-Book/dp/0064441075

Steve (not the rock chucker)
:)
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

SavageShootr

Thanks for the link. I intend to buy this book for the kids.

Glad you made it up for the instruction. While the events of the fourth were much fun indeed, the important things happened while you were there.

See you at another Appleseed.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

rock-chucker

hey Cal7.62:  Nice to meet you,  Nice M1-A, too (you can't be ALL bad with a rifle like that).  I have a feeling you are real close to getting one of those groovey little olive drab patches with the stars and stripes on it.  I'd like to work with you to get that done.  let me know when you pre-register for the next Appleseed.  Also, I want to position you where you aren't pelting your neighbor with hot brass.  It's a good thing riflemen like Alex persevere (sorry to hear you actually got burned).  There are things you can do to tune your ejector plunger so your rifle will kick the brass foward, also.   I suggest purchasing a spare ejector plunger we can experiment with.  As you shorten the ejector spring by grinding with a dremel, the brass ejection starts moving forward, rather than straight to the right.  You can work it down until they all fall into a little pile at 1:00.  I can help you with that.  The same applies to Garands, to anyone interested.  Had the same issue with unhappy neighbors and lost brass untill I fixed my own M1-A.  BTW, I made rifleman with my M1-A, and want to see you do it too.  M1-As ROCK in the hands of a person who knows what they are doing.  Not to discount anyone's rifleman score with an LTR, but you have to have especially solid positions with a .308 or other rifle that actually recoils to maintain npoa shot to shot.  The big guns will push you around all over the place, unless you have rock-solid positions.

Anyway, keep on keepin on.  See you again soon.

R-C

rock-chucker

Hey Canuck gone south, you gonna jump in here and share you and your better half's first time Applesseed experienc?  Was really, really great having you two out shooting with us.  Thanks for trusting me that this would be time well spent and showing up big.

To all the rest of you in ASland, CGS and Jemy just got engaged, and celebrated their new engagemeby hanging out and shooting with US.  This was their first Appleseed.  Congratulate them on their wedding engagement and for their shooting efforts.  These two are on their way to RIFLEMAN status.  Offer your condolences to them for being friends of mine!

Congratulations are enough for my friend BILL who made rifleman.  HOOZAHH!  Bill is awaiting Admin approvoal to get on the forum.  I know he has a few things to say.

R=C

CannuckGoneSouth

So the hot, dry, windy days came and went. Based on other shooting that Jemy and I have done I anticipated the weekend going much smoother (translation: easier to get decent scores). At times Jemy and I were both frustrated with rocks poking into our ribs and our inability to nail those 1" squares since we are used to picking up things quickly, but we persisted as riflemen (to be) do. Difference number one: plinking a metal target to make a nice ring is very different from hitting a 1" square with good form.  As I looked over my targets Sunday evening, I noticed that I had consistent progression with my shooting throughout the weekend, gaining 10-20 points with each subsequent AQT (or is it ATQ, QTA, TAQ?, etc) and I could recognize what the targets were telling me, since they don't lie!  So I felt a lot better about my skill advancement, but all of this was just my ego talking.  The important thing regarding my shooting was that throughout the entire weekend I regularly noticed my practices improving, from stability and awareness of my positions to my breathing and concentration and learning to read the targets.  I knew that I was learning with every new lesson, and it was sticking!

Jemy and I had a great time and we're already planning for a Sept. or Oct. follow-up since August is already booked. It's great that we could share our 1st weekend as an engaged couple with such a good group.  It's a wonderful reflection of our compatibility as a couple to be sharing in such an activity, and this is a great group to be sharing it with. All instructors and IIT were friendly, supportive, fun, and showed a passion for what they believe in.  Thank you all for your encouragement.

I've borrowed the Paul Revere book from Rock-Chucker and have already dove into the 1st chapter.  I still find it sad that I actually learned a little of this in world history in high school yet it is not even taught in your own schools. I will now fill in the blanks for what I didn't learn in world history and maybe I can play my part in keeping this history alive as Jemy and I work towards our future here in So Cal.

Until the next AS event or chance encounter at the range!

~CGS

SavageShootr

Hey CGS,

Welcome to the forum. We were happy to have you and your lovely bride-to-be, Jemy, on the line. Thanks for coming out to the range and participating in the sport of free men. I heard a rumor that a Shoot Boss can marry you at an AS. (Not sure it is legal though  ;)) Maybe an AS would make a nice honeymoon. See you next time.  ;D

~SS

MrBill

Sorry in advance if this rambles a bit.

I want to express my thanks to everyone who worked hard to put on this Appleseed.  Thanks to bob210, kool aid, rock-chucker, son of the republic, socalserf, Savageshooter, Johnnyappleseed, it was a fantastic 3 days!  Everyone was extremely supportive and the instruction was excellent!  The tying of American Revolutionary War history and marksmanship skills together brings deeper meaning to both.  Add to that a great group of people (was going to type guys, but it is great to see a significant number of ladies there) with an attitude of teaching and learning together brings it all together.  I will be doing what I can to bring more folks to these shoots and get them started down the path of renewed "citizenship". 

I have to give special thanks to rock-chucker for making my Rifleman score possible.  I showed up late on Saturday and only had room to set up in the blazing sun.  Rock-chucker gave me his position in the shade and told me he wanted me to make rifleman that weekend, and didn't think I would make it all weekend in the sun (boy was he right! - I wouldn't have made it past lunch time in the sun).  I can't express enough my thanks to him for making it possible!

I have to say that this was one of the most difficult times I have had in the shooting sports, which makes it even more of a satisfying accomplishment for me .  I started competing Bullseye pistol at my local clubs informal matches at age 14 and was a solid mid-packer at my first match.  I competed on my university pistol team and more recently have competed in benchrest matches (before San Gabriel range closed).  While never in the top competitors in each genre, everything generally came pretty easily.  Then I came to an Appleseed.  Was I ever humbled.  The standing position was comfortable and fairly straight forward.  Sitting - well I can either get in sitting position or breathe.  As breathing takes precedence I shot kneeling instead.  Then comes prone.  I regret all the times my wife tried to get me to yoga class and I was conveniently too busy or had other "things to do".  I say this not to discourage anyone, but to make the point that it isn't easy, and the way to become a Rifleman is to persist.  I could easily have become discouraged about not making Rifleman at my first Appleseed like my friend rock-chucker did, but with a little encouragement I came out for my second Appleseed.  Now I'm hooked! The best thing about the event is that EVERYONE wants you to make Rifleman. 

Hopefully soon I can get my better half out.  Thank you ladies in advance for making it easier and more comfortable to get other ladies to participate.  Jemy, please help with encouragement to get Liz out to an Appleseed - when it cools down a bit! 

CGS and Jemy - Congratulations!!!!!  It was great that you came out and will see you both at upcoming Appleseeds and trips to Angeles.

About two and a half months ago I met this guy with a big smile at Angeles shooting range (Johnnyappleseed), not talking so much about guns, but about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and a little history.  He gave me copies of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and some other information about this thing he called Appleseed.  He then introduced me to this other guy (SonoftheRepublic) working diligently to become a Rifleman (didn't quite know what he meant at the time but ??).  These guys planted the seed that got both rock-chucker and myself into Appleseed.  Rock-chucker has already started by planting the seed with Canuk Gone South and his new fiancĂ© Jemy.  I hope to follow in the footsteps of planting seeds and getting more people involved with Appleseed.

One thing we can all do (albeit likely with much less panache than Johnnyappleseed) is become ambassadors of citizenship and freedom.  I travel a lot for work, and whenever possible try to let people in other countries know the types of rights and freedom that we have in the USA.  Only rarely have I received a negative response to this, and most people are in awe over our freedoms and rights (there was one German lady who said she though that we all just wanted to be told what to do).  I think that seeing firsthand what life in totalitarian regimes, or religious theocracies helps me to appreciate what we have here and want to preserve it even more.  It is easy to get discouraged in our struggle to maintain our rights, and for me Appleseed has been a great re-awakening with the infectious optimism of the people I have meet there.  I now will be traveling with copies of our Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights to give to people so that they can read and understand what we are all about, and to try to "plant the seed" of freedom and liberty.

Cheers

MrBill

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

SavageShootr

Hey MrBill,

Welcome to the forum. We are most happy to have you amongst us. You did not ramble a bit, awesome post.

Congratulations on your Rifleman score of 210!! You are a good shooter.

I was thinking, maybe you could tell your wife you will go to Yoga if she will come to Appleseed.  ;D
That would be win win for certain.

See you either out at Angeles (this Saturday) or at an Appleseed.

~SS

SavageShootr

SavageShootr

Girls just want to have fun.

rock-chucker

Awesome post indeed, MrBill.  Nice picture, too....

Of course, I should talk... :P

Hey canuck gone south, what are you going to use as a picture?
Terrance and Philip?   ::)

hey, I'm getting excited about my LT(A)R, which is en-route and will arrive via UPS on Friday.  Oohooh!
I'll show the rest of you what an LT(A)R is, (in case you haven't guessed yet) on a future post.

Regarding the cause of preserving liberty, a little reminder of who we are, inspiration from inspired people, teamwork and comeraderie go a long way toward giving hope, eh?

"Bailing", rather than whining and "iceberg spotting" makes a big difference, too.  I know I feel better.  thanks for handing us a pail, Johnny Appleseed!

R-C

Liberty Dave

Quote from: rock-chucker on July 10, 2008, 10:55:28 AM
Regarding the cause of preserving liberty, a little reminder of who we are, inspiration from inspired people, teamwork and comeraderie go a long way toward giving hope, eh?
R-C
As long as comeraderie doesn't turn us into comrades!  ;D ;D ;D
Hey Rock-Chucker,  just in case Arnie's reform plan denies me surgery when nothing else has worked I have been promising God I will be a better patriot if He lets me win that M1 raffle instead of you because recoil therapy might be my only option left to release this dang pinched nerve and get on with working again.
::) ::) ::)
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." T. Roosevelt

rock-chucker

Hey Liberty Dave.

whether you win that rifle or not, you better get better and start working.  Recoil therapy is expensive these days.  Priced out 30-06 ammo, lately?  Unfortuanately, the last time I checked, recoil therapy was not covered by my PPO.  Doh!

Fortunately LTR's and .22 ammo are still very reasonable, so I recommend moving forward with that plan.  I am switching over to .22 for the bulk of my practice.

Seriously, health problems are no joking matter and I hope you get relief soon.  If you're not anxious to get back to work, I know you're anxious to shoot; so god speed on your recovery!

R-C

SonoftheRepublic

Hey thanks R-C for the kind words. It was great having you "under an orange cap" for the first time! Allow me to publicly say that I really love and appreciate your passion and enthusiasm for this program and all that it represents.   

Serf, It was an honor and a pleasure to serve with you and the other IIT's. Glad we had a chance to chat a little and get acquainted for the first time. Looking forward to doing it again.  What a great caliber of people we have in this program.

And I just want to say WELCOME! to all of our new Appleseeders and participants in the Appleseed Program.  Mr. Bill, I can't tell you how pleased I am to welcome you to our ranks.  I knew from the first day I met you that this is one of those "men who know what they are about".  You're passion for Appleseed as well as your wealth of knowledge and experience is needed!  Cal 7.62 You are quite a shooter!  Keep up the good work.  I see a Rifleman patch in your future!  Canuck Gone South and Jemy, MAN! You guys worked hard! . . . And I think learned a lot for your first Appleseed.  Congratulations and Best Wishes on the marriage . . . And I'm looking forward to seeing you both again real soon!  AlexV, wish I had the opportunity of going to an Appleseed when I was you're age.  Keep up the good work . . . am expecting great things from you.  And Liberty Dave, get healed up real soon so you can start developing those rifleman skills (don't forget . . . dry fire!, dry fire!, dry fire!).
Give them the History, Immerse them in the Tradition. - The Power of Appleseed

The Appleseed Project - "Returning America To A Nation Of Riflemen"

Johnnyappleseed

Mr Bill
CONGRATULATIONS + welcome aboard. I am looking forward to working with you at the next AS.
Thanx to all who are doing  the 7th step -- R-C nice going ,getting the newly engaged couple to AS+of course Mr Bill + the others you brought, Hi Canuck + Jemy
Mrs Coly , what a profound thought ." Laughter the sound of free men "
So true. Next year plan on Piru ;D
Alex was great having you with us + I will see you at the next AS . Or at the range before then.
Serf thanx for your excelent (as always ) work + kind words concerning the 1st strike.
Semper Fidelis
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Squeekyblinkr

July 4th was great!  had a great time.  thanks to the instructors for helping me try to shoot a little better.  see you all in santa barbara! ;D

colycat

Sqeeky,

Concrats on your first post,  Welcome and Do not be a stranger on the forum.

Colycat( Wisconsin),  its great that my first two AS,s were in CA

SavageShootr

Hey Squeeky,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you enjoyed the Independence Day activities.
See you in Santa Barbara.

~SS