News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Experiment with a "banner ad" on a 2A forum

Started by Publican, September 24, 2012, 07:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publican

http://www.pa2a.org/index.php

Something I am doing to bail a little more.

I am not posting this as an "atta boy" I am posting to get the creative juices flowing.

Would be interesting to see if there is an uptick (statistically speaking) in RWVA website clicks.....

If the feedback I get is positive (still not sure how I will gauge this because the above website can NOT count "click throughs") I will be running an ad baner for 1 year. The goal is to tailor said banner to different events. All will have AS on the banner BUT each banner will focus on specific times of the year:
-Veterans day
-Memorial Day
-April 19th
-Independence Day
-etc

I would be grateful for ideas that would be SIMPLE, DIRECT, CONCISE

If you go to the forum and click a couple times, you should see our banner. It will give you an idea of the limited size.

Google does a great job at customizing their "logo banner" for the seasons and different holidays......BE CREATIVE please.

"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

colycat

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

sgtrock

Cork

Nice job Sir,, I clicked right thru to here, worked nice,,, Good color contrast to that page its on, caught my eye quick I like that,,,

sgtrock

PS, You still get an atta boy,,,

Nero

One way to get a 'click counter', even if the hosting site and target site (appleseedusa.org) don't support such, is to have the banner point to one of the 'URL shortening' sites that will count the number of hits on the short URL.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Publican

If you could direct this internet illiterate joe to said sites, I will ask "my guy" to see if it can be done. THANKS all 

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Publican

If I do the 1 year deal, these are the occasions I suggest we try to tailor the banner toward:

-NOVEMBER  11 Veteran's Day - OR - Thanksgiving???

-DECEMBER 25 Christmas

-JAN 1 New Year's Day

-FEB 22 Washington's Birthday

-MARCH 16 Patriot's Day Third Monday

-APRIL16 Patriot's Day Third Monday

-MAY 28 Memorial Day

-JUNE 14 Flag Day

-JULY 4 Independence Day

-AUGUST .........9/11 ?

-SEPTEMBER  17 Constitution Day

Depending on the remembrance, I suggest we keep most very simple and appropriate.

An example might be for Veterans day - remove the words "marksmanship & heritage" and replace with a simple "America THANKS all Her Veterans"

Maybe for Christmas - ?

For Jan, Something to do with a.... what will be your "Country Saving New Years Resolution?" (seems awfully wordy though)

You get the idea. PLEASE offer suggestions and art work. I will turn these in to "my guy" a week PRIOR to the beginning of the month so he has time to change the banner.

If we have multiple ideas and art, I am cool w/ voting or something BUT I will get the input from (you guessed it) "my guy".

Nero

Quote from: Publican on September 24, 2012, 10:30:10 PM
If you could direct this internet illiterate joe to said sites, I will ask "my guy" to see if it can be done. THANKS all

Here's a survey article on URL shorteners.  It's a few years old, but covers all the essential issues and most of the services mentioned are still available.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Publican

dragonfly

Great idea, I like the banner the way it is.

Thanks,
D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Publican

Quote from: dragonfly on September 25, 2012, 10:34:43 AM
Great idea, I like the banner the way it is.

Thanks,
D-fly

I too like the current banner BUT do you find yourself ignoring banner ads (on other sites) after a short while BECAUSE they never change?

I believe consistency is IMPORTANT with ads but would small changes (in our case, maybe on the right side of the banner) not renew peoples interest in "looking" at the banner. I believe that when the eye and brain get used to seeing something......we start to no longer "see" it.