News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Field Shoots - Challenging, Fun and Educational!

Started by M1NC, September 16, 2012, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1NC

Hi Everyone!  Just thought I'd post a few thoughts about the WWII Marksmanship Shoot that was at the RWVA Home Range in Ramseur NC this weekend.  First of all a big "THANKS!" to Wildman and Hawkeye for once again coming up with a fantastic course of fire.  Being a WWII themed event there were plenty of M1s, 1917s, 1903s and other WWII paraphernalia to be found.

To those who might think "I need to get better before I go to a field shoot" - think again!  Everyone there is friendly and always willing to offer instruction or help if you need it.  I first started to come to field shoots in 2010 and I can say without reservation that it has made me a better shot.  Field shoots take the fundamentals from Appleseed and give them a real "workout" - full distance popup targets and ranges from 200-460 yards!

This year the course of fire got even more interesting - the first set of targets (300 and 400 yard popups) were shot from prone under the shelter.  Then things got interesting, the shooter moved to the 25 yard berm and took whatever firing position they wanted as long as one leg touched the railroad ties.  They then fired at the 300 yard popups.  Then the shooter moved to the 50 yard line and had to fire at the 200 yard popups from underneath a picnic table!  It was a fun challenge that left everyone tired but happy at the end of the day.

Here are some of the photos from the event!

Lawson gets ready to shoot from the berm

The 300 yard targets were no match for his 1903A3

Father and son

Wildman shows how to run an M1

And drops the 300 yard popup

Hawkeye with his all-correct Winchester M1917

The cock-on-closing bolt makes for quick follow ups

The Kid ran his amazingly accurate White Oak AR

Wildman gets into position to hit the 200 yard popup

And Hawkeye does the same

The Kid's well supported seated position

Lawson enjoys hearing another clean hit being recorded at 400

Hawkeye gets a good cheek weld

And keeps his eye on the target while working the bolt.  Note the ejected brass

A top view of the 1917 in action

The Kid exhibits some great follow through.  Note the ejected brass to the right of the shot

And at 400 yards there is enough time to enjoy watching the popup drop down

The author loads his M1

And starts knocking the 300 yard popups down

A shot kicks up a cloud of earth as the popup is hit

A Mauser waits for its turn

Getting low with the '03

Lawson provides some field spotting

Camaraderie, fellowship, marksmanship, there's a lot to be gained at a field shoot!
Always take the high road - it has a better field of fire

If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Go forth and fear no darkeness

adamsod

Oh why did the self reliance expo have to be in town yesterday... that shoot looked like it was a really good time, I'm bummed I missed it.  Thanks for the pictures M1NC, and way to go wildman and hawkeye on setting up a really cool COF.
Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free

hawkeye

Matt is correct, once you learn the basics it's time to challenge yourself. With suggestions from the other shooters the alternate positions  will become more of a challenge , The basics of firing a shot will stay the same. Matt you did a great job of taking pictures and it sure didn't take you very long to get good with that Garand,Thank You! And thanks to all that showed up. Wildman and I do have double hearing protection in ,just don't need the head phones in the open. Daniel with the Mauser reminds me of Lawson when he started shooting , keep it up kid!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Green Bean

I am going to turn this into a poster to go above my reloading bench. 

wildman

Great post Matt thanks for the pictures they make even 200 yards look like a long way off.

I have heard it many times, "I'll come when my shooting improves,"which pretty much means they aren't ever going to make it.
Any one that has shot a rifleman score or close to it is ready for a field shoot. Every rifleman that shoots with us had to bring
what ever skill level they possessed and build from there. Even if its your first shoot, there are no strangers at field shoots.

Next event is the Alvin York Shoot, October 13th, it will be a Morgan's Crew event.

This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

92trk

Thanks for running an awesome shoot Wildman and Hawkeye.

Botbasher

And the next one is on......?

May have a "allowed" rifle by the time the next one is on and would definitely be in for a challenge!

KS

p.s. I did see the schedule for the Korean War COF... just didn't know if the same broad outlines/ideals would apply.
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.

Botbasher

Quote from: hawkeye on September 16, 2012, 04:50:46 PM
.... Matt you did a great job of taking pictures and it sure didn't take you very long to get good with that Garand...
I think he got himself a "ringer" with that M1!! That thing is so easy to fire and dialed in, he had me "dinging" the 200y targets on my 2nd ever M1 shot!

I hope the one I find at the CMP next month is as sweet as that one is!

Awesome Rifle Matt!

KS
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.